What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Move apps to another page on desktop?

Tobykanobe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to move my app icons from 1 page to another to organize the apps. I would like one page with games, 1 with my frequently visited websites, 1 for all other apps. You get the idea.

I know that holding down the app make them shake and that I can delete them or move on the same page, but how can I move that app to another page?

Thanks for the help,

Tobykanobe

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just drag it towards the edge of the screen and keep holding and the page will switch. Alternatively if you go into iTunes, plug in your iPad, click the name of the iPad, and click the Apps tab, you can select/drag/delete in the simulated desktop area there.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just drag it towards the edge of the screen and keep holding and the page will switch. Alternatively if you go into iTunes, plug in your iPad, click the name of the iPad, and click the Apps tab, you can select/drag/delete in the simulated desktop area there.
My sure you press any app long enough to get them all wiggling..at that point you can move any amount around.push the home button when done.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That wasn't his problem, he was just having a problem of figuring out how to get them to the next page.

DMad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the icons always have to be in a consecutive order on a given page?

I'd like to be able to have the top row on page one with certain apps, and the bottom row with certain apps, and maybe the center row empty - is doing something like that possible?

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only if you're jailbroken. Iconoclasm allows you to do things like that.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iTunes is the best to manage the apps as above user stated just connect the iPad to the computer and select apps in iTunes it will show all pages then you can move whole pages and individual apps around after that sync and all will be done for you. If you want to move individual apps on the iPad just hold down the app until it shakes however sometimes doing that stuffs up the layout as they h ave a mind of there own if you are not careful. The new os4 will be great as using folders will make life easier

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the icons always have to be in a consecutive order on a given page?

I'd like to be able to have the top row on page one with certain apps, and the bottom row with certain apps, and maybe the center row empty - is doing something like that possible?

Using native OS and no Jailbreak, the icons fill top to bottom but can be arranged in any order on the iPad or via iTunes when synching.

You don't have to fill a page but they will always fill top down in That order as you add apps.

In iOS4 you will have the added ability to manage apps using folders, so being it's soon coming ( fall perhaps or maybe sooner with all iphones getting it 6-21-2010) you may want to start organizing perm page what eventually you will want in one folder later.
Meanwhile your still limited to 11 pages of apps at least until iOS4 with folders allowing 12 apps per folder, 16 folders per page, 11 pages and counting 4 dock apps, makes 2,116 possible apps on one iPhone. Two more on iPad being it fits 6 on the dock.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is the best to manage the apps as above user stated just connect the iPad to the computer and select apps in iTunes it will show all pages then you can move whole pages and individual apps around after that sync and all will be done for you. If you want to move individual apps on the iPad just hold down the app until it shakes however sometimes doing that stuffs up the layout as they h ave a mind of there own if you are not careful. The new os4 will be great as using folders will make life easier

X2

I've done it both ways, and on the iPad it is a major pain compared to using iTunes.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're jailbroken you can move as many as you want at one time though :D

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPad you can move as many as you want at one time? How do you do that?
(although I don't use any of the jb programs, my iPad is still jb)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's called icon mover. You hold press and wiggle like you usually would. Then you single press each app you want to move and it will put a checkmark on the icon. Then you navigate to the page you want to move them to by swiping (meanwhile the apps are all still wiggling) and then hit the home key and they poof appear on the page.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crap now I can't find the app, I thought it was called icon mover but I could be wrong.

Most reactions

Latest posts