What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile Hotspot on Palm Pre = SLOW

Sprank1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Verizon Pre Plus with the Mobile Hotspot application and free hotspot service from Verizon (major reason I went with the pre).

When using it with my HP laptop I get great download speeds.
When using it with my iPod Touch I get lousy download speeds.
When using it with my iPad I get lousy download speeds.

When I use any of the above devices (Laptop, iPod, iPad) with my in-home wireless router I get consistently good speeds on all three devices.

So -- what conclusion can I draw?

There seems to be something going on with the Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot and the two Apple devices (iPod and iPad).

I tried some suggestions found in various places ...
renewing lease ...
setting ip to manual ...

Both of these "solutions" seems to have helped raise the speed a little, but not to what it should be.

I posted this on a continuing thread in the Palm Pre forums at Precentral, and am hoping to find an answer somewhere.

I am hopeful that someone (Apple, Palm, Verizon ...) will come up with a real solution to this problem.

Mastr0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was a problem? Works great for me

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
My wife has a Pre. I hacked it and tether to her iPad with no problem. Sorry I can't help you but it sounds like something in the way you have it set up. Bumping and hope someone who had the problem and solved it can help....

Tonychic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also having this issue and my connection is actually dropped every few minutes and reconnects. This is frustrating and I've looked all over for a fix....ERGHHH

Bouch48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pre plus with mobile hot spot

Mine works great when connected but I also lose connection a lot , I also wonder why there is no way to store the passphrase in the iPad so I don't have to keep typing it in.

battie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been researching this as well. The problem is the palm pre mobile hot spot. I've been testing my IPad for several days now and my home network provides awesome speed. The palm sUcks. Which is disheartening because Verizon convinced me that it was the perfect solution for my Work needs. Try downloading a speed test from IPad applications. Cisco "speed test" actually graphs dually results. I intend to continue fussing with Verizon and/or Pre about this. My work depends on it

Most reactions

Latest posts