What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G Hotspot

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Really! Well that's a smart move on their part I think.
Thanks so much for letting me know Twerppoet. Much appreciated. :)

No problem. Apple thought it was a big enough deal that both iPads would be world ready (GSM) that they even mentioned it in the Keynote.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have....actually HAD HughesNet at our vacation house and the 250MB is per day not for the month BTW. If you use your iPad data plan at this rate you will need ~7.5GB a month.....quite a bit more than the 5MB plan provides.

In my case I changed over to using an AT&T USB WAN card in a compatible router about a year ago and will NEVER go back to the Satellite. In a word HughesNet "SUCKS"!!!!! the minute you go past 250MB in a 24 hour period they shut you down to 14.4 for get this 24 FREAKING HOURS!!!!

I managed to find an AT&T Wan Card with an unlimited data plan so I don;t worry about the amount of usage and also have the Unlimited data plan a=on my current iPad1 which I'll transfer to my new iPad when it arrives Friday but I'm pretty sure that AT&T will be smart enough to NOT allow me to use this unit as a Hotspot but if they do then I'm "Golden".....we'll know a lot more when we get them on Friday.

Stay Tuned!

You are exactly right - 250mb/day. I don't know why I keep thinking that it's for a month.

Hughesnet went down last night while I was reading your post and just came up now!

There's got to be a way for me to be able to be free of them. Dial-up is not an option.

I guess I'll just have to check out 4G usage when I get mine on Friday.

BTW - thanks to all that have responded!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bwhicher said:
If the Verizon has a SIM card slot why couldn't you put in a ATT SIM and use either Verizon or ATT?

Good question and I would like to know the answer to this one also. Why have 2 models, is there 2 models even. I hope they're not locking them.

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Good question and I would like to know the answer to this one also. Why have 2 models, is there 2 models even. I hope they're not locking them.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe the only difference is the 4G connection chip, but other than that they are the same. So it does make sense that you could put an AT&T sim in the iPad3 and have Internet access. I found this on the web "If the iPad ships SIM unlocked, as it had before, users can swap in a micro SIM from AT&T and use Verizon’s 4G iPad on AT&T’s 3G and 4G HSPA+ network–they just can’t use a Verizon 4G iPad on AT&T’s LTE network."

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might be able to use the Verizon iPad on AT&T's 3G network. It remains to be seen if there isn't something snuck in to prevent it. You will not be able to use an AT&T iPad on Verizon. Verizon 3G is CDMA and the AT&T model does not have the CDMA radio.

There is some confusion (in my mind) on the LTE side. There is overlap in the frequencies used. The specs for the new iPad list them both as having 700MHz, but only the AT&T model using 1200MHz. I don't know enough about how LTE works to say what this means. However; Apple has specifically said that the two models will not work on each other's LTE network, so don't expect them to do so without some kind of jailbreak or other trick; and even then probably not for some time to come.

It's pretty much guaranteed that they will not be cross compatible out of the box, so buy the model you need now; not the one that 'might' work on the network you want later.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
I'm getting Verizon because of the free hotspot and better plans.

I find that AT&T's plans are better with the 3GB data plan for 30.00. Verizon offers a 2GB plan for 30.00. I would never go any higher than the 30.00 plan as I have wifi at home and Verizon doesn't work too well in my apt. Without the network extender - actually it is slightly better since I shad FIOS installed. Who knows...

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
I find that AT&T's plans are better with the 3GB data plan for 30.00. Verizon offers a 2GB plan for 30.00. I would never go any higher than the 30.00 plan as I have wifi at home and Verizon doesn't work too well in my apt. Without the network extender - actually it is slightly better since I shad FIOS installed. Who knows...

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

I personally think it should just be tiered ten bucks a g. Maybe a free one at 5. AT&T rep confirmed to me today they have no intention of offering hotspot.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
I personally think it should just be tiered ten bucks a g. Maybe a free one at 5. AT&T rep confirmed to me today they have no intention of offering hotspot.

Hmmmmm.... Guess AT&T didn't want to say outright that they were not offering a hotspot just before 3.16. An advantage for Verizon?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting the AT&T 4G unit. I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and will move that from my iPad 2 to the new one. For what I've read and heard, I can continue as usual even with the 4G, which is a big bonus. The drawback? I live over an hour from any 3G/4G area and, even with an AT&T tower above my little town, I get full strength EDGE in my home area.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Hmmmmm.... Guess AT&T didn't want to say outright that they were not offering a hotspot just before 3.16. An advantage for Verizon?

Ikr!!! She whimpered as she admitted it. Just worried the hotspot thing might be introductory. Tryna wait to order from reseller on Friday exactly. Meanwhile, I'll be posting my eBay add and sending Padi back to apple for repairs (bleeding never fixed from epidemic during release). Hopefully, I can ship one as I receive the other as the mania has yet to begun. Shipping times are still below a month. Are iPad 2 users satisfied? (I'm only switching for hotspot feature. I calculated that I will save nearly 500 dollars by avoiding the contract of a mifi.

Broke college student: guilty as charged.

Mtnmedic said:
Getting the AT&T 4G unit. I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and will move that from my iPad 2 to the new one. For what I've read and heard, I can continue as usual even with the 4G, which is a big bonus. The drawback? I live over an hour from any 3G/4G area and, even with an AT&T tower above my little town, I get full strength EDGE in my home area.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Is edge sufficient? No complaints with unlimited but is it slow?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:

Yep, it's definitely slow compared to 3G but seems reasonably sufficient for a number of things though I wouldn't want to be my only connection 24/7. It helps to have a SOLID signal and not one that's weak. Barely does anything with a weak signal. Here, it's consistently five bars because the tower is just to miles away and right above town on a bluff that's direct sight to everyone. Too bad it's not a 3G tower. Likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future, being that we're in a rural area 36 miles away from the nearest town of any consequence.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
Ikr!!! She whimpered as she admitted it. Just worried the hotspot thing might be introductory. Tryna wait to order from reseller on Friday exactly. Meanwhile, I'll be posting my eBay add and sending Padi back to apple for repairs (bleeding never fixed from epidemic during release). Hopefully, I can ship one as I receive the other as the mania has yet to begun. Shipping times are still below a month. Are iPad 2 users satisfied? (I'm only switching for hotspot feature. I calculated that I will save nearly 500 dollars by avoiding the contract of a mifi.

Broke college student: guilty as charged.

Will you have unlimited data with the hotspot as well??

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the original ipad, 32gb/3g. I am trying to figure out if I should order the 4g or wifi. I have never actually used the 3g, because I have a mifi from Verizon that is unlimited. My mifi is 3g and I can not upgrade to the 4g, because I would loose my unlimited plan : ( I like the idea of having the option of 4g if I really need it. I am thinking I should be good with the wifi only. any thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts