What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Would You Jump Ship?

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What would cause me to jump ship?
This is my first Apple product, it is the original. The product has worked flawlessly.
The only thing that would prevent me from buying another one is Apple's heavy handed dictatorship
of the App store and iBook store. In app purchases was great for Apple till they had enough products sold
to change the rules for purchases, I believe it borders on extortion,for customers. Apple's book store is third rate compared to Amazon's Kindle
or Barnes & Noble's Nook. Yes I know how to make purchases out of app but for me it comes down to principal, and for me that
trumps product and will influence my next purchase. Although Apple's thumb has not yet killed the apps I've mentioned I believe
it will be just a matter of time or no more updates of those style apps will be allowed. I've accepted the other shortcomings of the
iPad with no problems and have adjusted to them, Apple's greed is something I have not.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MadChef said:
This is my first Apple product, it is the original. The product has worked flawlessly.
The only thing that would prevent me from buying another one is Apple's heavy handed dictatorship
of the App store and iBook store. In app purchases was great for Apple till they had enough products sold
to change the rules for purchases, I believe it borders on extortion,for customers. Apple's book store is third rate compared to Amazon's Kindle
or Barnes & Noble's Nook. Yes I know how to make purchases out of app but for me it comes down to principal, and for me that
trumps product and will influence my next purchase. Although Apple's thumb has not yet killed the apps I've mentioned I believe
it will be just a matter of time or no more updates of those style apps will be allowed. I've accepted the other shortcomings of the
iPad with no problems and have adjusted to them, Apple's greed is something I have not.

I'm sure that you are not alone in feeling uncomfortable.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadChef said:

I'm sure that you are not alone in feeling uncomfortable.

Perhaps not alone but definitely a tiny slice of the market.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't see another "pure" tablet coming down the pike that would convince me to "jump ship." I'm not looking for a tablet device that tries to be a personal computer. Too many compromises and inadequacies involved. And while I'm an Android fan for many reasons, that platform doesn't offer enough advantages over the Apple ecosystem to compensate for the wealth of applications available for the iPad. Neither, needless to say, does the WebOS.

On the other hand, would I "jump ship" for a PC that comes closer to the functionality of a tablet? That's a tougher question. The Lenovo X220T, for example, is a "convertible" that amounts to a good PC with a touch screen option. And I expect the MacBook Air line to move in the same direction.

Neither option is there yet, though. The Lenovo is a great travel laptop, but it's not a desktop replacement. And that's what I really must have in a laptop. And once that's said, a laptop capable of replacing my quadcore personal computer is simply too unwieldy to be a good tablet.

OP
Beryl

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Getting SD and USB ports in a device is almost guaranteed to make the device thicker. And too many opening is not all that hot either. I find that file transfers via the cloud works well for working on stuff and streaming movies (using something like the Goflex) means I don't need to ever be moving lots of files around.

Thickness is important so I probably should have said "mini-SD" instead. Also, 4G is in order now instead of 3G.

Reaction score
iTunes and ios5 made me jump ship.
I have a camera kit transfer photos from my camera to my ipad should I want to do that but Dropbox and Photobucket work just fine for that. I can get a usb adapter for my Tab should I want it, unlike the ipad that limits what my adapter can be used to transfer. I don't need a built in shot when I can add one as I see fit and use it when I want and have a thinner device always.
Itunes limits me from transferring files and data via bluetooth from device to device because it is locked to their transfer methods only. There may be argument that the profiles are the reason but itunes is the reason for the lack of profiles in the end. I won't even get into the cluster bomb of a disaster itunes is to use on my desktop and the icloud looks to be the same minus the cord.
ios5, after seeing the 200 improvements, just underwhelmed me as far as the direction Apple is going to go. Yes Apple will remain virus free no matter what but I have sense enough to watch the stuff I download so I don't need Steve protecting me from myself.
For those who are content with their ipad and ios, my hat is off and I hope you enjoy yours for years to come, but just like a prefer a truck over a car but I have nothing against car drivers, my Tab 10.1 is much more me.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Reaction score
I have no desire to jail break anything, root anything or hack anything. There is too much competition in technology to bother, for me.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally like the idea of the touchpad and hp touch phone "touching over 3G" to transfer calls and info. That's nifty. Something like bump I guess. This feature would be nice in iOS 5 since cloud will allow info to auto be transfered and translated btw iOS 5 capable devices.

But to stay on topic, j would never jump ship. I'm trying yo get on the ship. I have a iPhone 3G n IPad 2. Upgrading to iPhone 5 when it comes out and home to get a MacBook pro and time capsule soon.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC that sounds like the Goflex Satellite.

I don't think that the GoFlex has an SD slot. What I am looking for is a way to copy files from my camera's SD card to a portable HDD.

The plug computer (controlled from the iPad) does this quite well, especially with Perl script to automate the process.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadChef said:

I agree. I find it ridiculous to have to browse on kindle app but eventually shop on a BROWSER. It takes the one outa one click shop. Apple has it's quirks n kinks but the beat of us do

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Amen. I wish I could fit this post on a T-shirt.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The HP touchpad was reviewed in BBC's Click last week. Its performance seemed to be no match to iPad's yet! Even portrait to landscape mode transformation after rotating the device took good few seconds!

Access to file system
SD card slot
USB port

Jailbreaking iPad gives you access to file system. USB is not big problem as long as you can use Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts