What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow transfer speeds - only on iPad

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks,I have an laptop running 12.04 Ubuntu, which is acting as a dedicated NAS. I store all my photso and videos on it etc and it is shared through Samba. The laptop is connected to the router via a wired ethernet connection. I can access it wirelessly and transfer photos etc from my phone and a windows 7 netbook. I get wireless transfer speeds of 2MB/sec on these devices - which seems about right.I bought a new iPad (3) and installed the paid app filebrowser - so I could access the NAS over wireless and copy files or view photos etc. But the transfer speeds are 100KB/sec.No matter what file I transfer I get really slow speeds. I contacted the makers of file browser and they said it may be due to the packet size and there may be a way to change the packet size in the smb.conf.I have searched and have not found anything. I read about the socket options in the SMB.conf, and I uncommented out the line and changed to the following:socket options=TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 But this has made no difference.Any ideas?Really confused as to why the speeds would be ok when copying a file using a netbook, and using an Android phone - but not using an iPad. The only difference is the device and the software used to transfer.Is it the app - 'FileBrowser' or is it something in the Samba settings?Thanks!

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use File Browser as well, and I never had to change any settings in the current versions of Samba to get it to work properly.
You definitely shouldn't need to change the socket options. How did you configure File browser to connect. Did you use an IP address or hostname?

A

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I think I connected via hostname - in 'Locations' on filebrowser you can see the HostName with the ipaddress underneath (tap to connect).

Just tried writing about 100 images (over 300MB worth) to the NAS drive from the iPad using filebrowser.It took about 3 mins which is great and seems about right. So the problem seems to be reading from the NAS? Does this narrow the problem down any?? Everything else is fine reading from the NAS..

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chadwell said:
Thanks - I think I connected via hostname - in 'Locations' on filebrowser you can see the HostName with the ipaddress underneath (tap to connect).

Just tried writing about 100 images (over 300MB worth) to the NAS drive from the iPad using filebrowser.It took about 3 mins which is great and seems about right. So the problem seems to be reading from the NAS? Does this narrow the problem down any?? Everything else is fine reading from the NAS..

Really odd question, but your NAS doesn't happen to be using an Intel Ethernet chipset does it?

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure - I will try and find out. Any easy way to find out?

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way is this: lspci -m

Run that in the shell and look for lines that start with Ethernet Controller.

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ran this and beside ethernet it was Broadcom. Not sure if this matters - you think it could be a driver issue?

Most reactions

Latest posts