What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Office for iPad About to be Submitted to App Store

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
Microsoft_Office.JPG

Fantastic news today from The Daily, which has an exclusive scoop with all the details about the long-awaited Microsoft Office iPad app. According to The Daily, the app is finished and ready to be submitted to Apple for approval, which means that a release is imminent (assuming it’s approved by Apple, of course!). Matt Hickey at The Daily writes that he has actually had hands-on time with a working prototype of the app, and he says that the interface is similar to that of the OneNote app, and that it has certain similarities with design language Metro, which has been used in Windows Phone design and the soon-to-be-released Windows 8 OS. He doesn’t have much more in-depth information about the app at the moment, such as the all-important price point, and whether or not you will be able to buy the various components separately, but he is able to say that Word, Excel and PowerPoint files can all be created and edited locally as well as online. Look for it to launch within weeks. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Suite anticipation - WWW.THEDAILY.COM, via AppleInsider[/FONT]

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Microsoft issued a denial, of sorts. Not that there is no Microsoft Office suite for iPad, but that the Daily's article is based on inaccurate information. That probably means the app does exist in some form (or Microsoft is still considering it), but has not been submitted to the App Store at this time. Apparently the pictures is not from Microsoft either.

So, please stop holding your breath. Blue does not suite you. (pun intended).

Microsoft Denies Rumor of Office Software for iPad - NYTimes.com

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apple most likely told micorsoft that there would be no way in H they would allow that app to be sold on itunes or even allowed to be put on an ipad

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
apple most likely told micorsoft that there would be no way in H they would allow that app to be sold on itunes or even allowed to be put on an ipad

Now why in any world you can imagine would that be the case?

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
because apple does not like micro soft and office kicks butt of any apple office program...it is the only thing micorsoft has that is better then the comparable apple product

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple will allow Microsoft on the iPad for the same reason Microsoft allows iTunes and Safari on the iPad. You don't cut your own throat over petty stuff. Despite how the media like to portray the big companies, they are not two year olds arguing over toys. Good or bad, their decisions are about profit.

Apple's cash cow is iPhones and iPads. Anything that makes that device more desirable is a plus, not a negative. If they never sold another copy of the iWorks apps again it would barely register on their bottom line. The only way they will turn down a MS Office app is if it breaks their guidelines for apps in general. There are already several MS app in the App Store. MS Office has been on OS X from the beginning, and Apple has never tried to close it down.

That said I don't agree with your assessment of Office vs Pages. Office is an 18 wheeler. Pages is a 3/4 ton pickup. Both do a great job at what they were designed for. I find Office over crowded and over complicated for the things I do. As long as I don't need/want the extra features or the 100% compatibility I'd be an idiot to buy Office. If I do need those things I'd be an idiot not to buy it. Simple as that.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
because apple does not like micro soft and office kicks butt of any apple office program...it is the only thing micorsoft has that is better then the comparable apple product

Can you name one instance where Apple has done this to Microsoft in the last 30 years?

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not only will Apple make a lot of money from selling MS Office in the App store, but it will make the iPad so much more a business tool. With generalized mobility in the

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Back when the original ipad came out, microsoft said the reason they would not make Office for the iPad is simply because they refuse to give apple 30% of the sales for Microsoft Office.

So if they were to actualy release it, then they would now be willing to give apple 30% of their sales.

Besides, whats wring with the iWorks apps for ipad? Also I'm guessing microsoft is going to have a much larger price point. You will need to purchase all of them since its not deviced out per app(acording to the picture, if it is real).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The early rumors stated that they would charge about $10 per app; very competitive with the iWorks apps. And since the iPads have taken off I'm thinking the 70% sounds a lot more lucrative than 0% :)

I'm also thinking that if Microsoft does it right, the iPad versions will or can be linked to Office360, making the whole package much more tempting for business customers and the big money.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What if Microsoft is denying it because they plan to announce the partnership with apple at the iPad 3 launch and demo the app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What if Microsoft is denying it because they plan to announce the partnership with apple at the iPad 3 launch and demo the app.

Then we've got about two more weeks of speculation to get through; assuming the speculated on announcement date and it's subject are also correct. ;)

Most reactions