What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making sense of the Zaggmate Keyboard.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Ipad 1 and I have always protected it. I carry it in a portfolio style case, usually with some additional protection, such as a "Built" slip case, and even put it into my "BUILT" neoprene laptop backbpack. But, I have rarely sat anywhere and used it "naked".

Expecting to do a lot more typing, and hoping to benefit from a hard keyboard, I chose the Zaggmate aluminum keyboard case/cover, which looks like small Powerbook when in use, and, the iPad sits face down in the keyboard, like a closed netbook, when not in use. Carrying it in a "BUILT" neoprene slip case, protects the whole ensemble when not in use, and, using the iPad with the keyboard at a table, I don't expect too many problems. But, MOST of the time, I will still be using the iPad by itself, so, I will be sitting somewhere with a "naked" iPad.

I have never dropped my iPad, and supposed I should be more confident of what will happen to it while it is in my hands, whether in public or at home. But, for some reason, I have this feeling of dread.

I see the following options:

1) Stick the keyboard and iPad together, drop them in a slip case, and hope for the best when using the iPad naked. That way I always have the keyboard in case I can actually sit at a table and get some extensive work done.

2) Keep the iPad in its portfolio, put the keyboard in a slip case, carry them both separately in my backpack, and only bring them together as needed. In this case, I am forfeiting the value of the keyboard as a case, but keeping everything safely wrapped.

3) Leave the keyboard at home only pull it out as needed.

Assuming you would bother to use a keyboard, what would YOU do?

Last edited:

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the Zaggmate for my ipad 1 and I just leave the ipad naked.However, that's only if I'm traveling, if I'm home, I keep a Griffin case on my ipad and I can still prop it into the keyboard and type with it.

johnodd4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you know i have to say i saw the zagg but i didn't like it because i was worried about it scratching the side of the ipad so i purchased the ihome case for the ipad 2 and 3 but it also fits the ipad 1

OP
G

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
johnodd4 said:
you know i have to say i saw the zagg but i didn't like it because i was worried about it scratching the side of the ipad so i purchased the ihome case for the ipad 2 and 3 but it also fits the ipad 1

Your not totally off. It does have some seemingly "rough" top edges. But the area the iPad sits into is total padded with heavy weight foam. So, as long as you are careful not to drag bare metal on metal, you won't get scratched.

felix222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've coupled my 1st gen iPad with a ZAGGmate for two years. Even with a soft carrier, the back of the zagg is totaly scratched up. The iPad, however, still looks and works great!

Most reactions

Latest posts