What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naked or No? keyboard or no?

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know folks have discussed this before but, who all is using your iPad "naked"? What has been your luck in avoiding scratched and dings? How do you protect it when not in use and does it do a good job? And now i have a Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover, which i really like, but using it leaves two really nice pieces of metal covered tech exposed to dings and scratches when out of the slip case. I have no fear when using my portfolio case, but, How do you go through your normal day-to-day with a naked iPad and simply NEVER make a mistake? ALSO, despite the convenience of the hard keyboard, I can't help but question whether I am defeating the whole point of a tablet by turning it into a netbook. Thoughts? Thanks!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Gedansky,
You've revisited an interesting topic. I agree that folk should protect their iPads which are expensive, apart from being so very useful and versatile. There are quite a few posts from members who have dented their iPad or cracked the screen - probably because they don't have a protective case.

OK, I own an iPad 3 and have a Griffin slip on case which protects it well when I am to using it and am carrying it around.

Re your comments about the keyboard. You have versatility in your hands - you have a tablet which you can use like a netbook when you wish. I own an Apple keyboard which I use on rare occasions - for writing long documents or working on spreadsheets.

Those are my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for th quick reply! I have a BUILT neoprene slip case I used to protect the keyboard in my bag, and the iPad/keyboard combo when I carry them together. While good padding and scratch prevention for general carrying, I'm not sure how much help it would be in a drop. Conversely, my Hornettek polycarbonate backed portfolio has survived a drop out of my KIA Sportage to the gravely street below with barely a scuff on the plastic case and no harm to the iPad.

So... Much as I would like to make the complete jump to carrying my iPad and keyboard in a slip case all the time, and use the iPad naked, I think I will keep my ipad mostly in the portfolio case until I need the keyboard. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a good keyboard cover, but I fear it will only lead to my invoking my $49 Apple Care replacement.

I'm very open to learning what others are doing though.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Optic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an Incase magazine jacket along with a Zagg HD screen protector. It offers good protection without making the iPad heavy or bulky.
Moderator's edit: No external links thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use thin cases on my iPads. I don't try to protect from a drop...I protect from dings and scratches. You can go from skins to thin cases (w/ cover) for dings and scratches. Protection from a drop means big, heavy and bulky. I don't want that. Experience has proven that I'm not drop prone, so what I'm doing works for me. If you are drop prone or have young kids, you may want to consider drop protection for a case.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use thin cases on my iPads. I don't try to protect from a drop...I protect from dings and scratches. You can go from skins to thin cases (w/ cover) for dings and scratches. Protection from a drop means big, heavy and bulky. I don't want that. Experience has proven that I'm not drop prone, so what I'm doing works for me. If you are drop prone or have young kids, you may want to consider drop protection for a case.

Way back in the BBC Programme, Dragons' Den, 2 hopefuls had invented a case for fragile kit. It was a plastic case which stiffened instantly when knocked hard and gave incredible protection to its contents.

The idea was genius, but I don't think the dragons invested in it. I think it was a case ( no pun intended ;)) of a product which was before its time.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

. I stand corrected. The product was backed. I should have checked before posting! http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/tech21-iband-helps-iphone-survive-the-dragons-den-49303401/

Last edited:

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a Dodocases for each iPad. I have a Zagg Keyboard that I keep in my messenger bag for those times I just have to have a keyboard. I do not use a screen protector, because the Dodocase has a cover.

Think about it this way, you spent a lot of money on your device. If you drop it, or it breaks, do you want to spend that cash again?

Most reactions

Latest posts