What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Wireless Keyboard Case?

matt2v17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got an Ipad 2 and am going to be getting the Apple Wireless Keyboard (AWK) this week. I will be carrying both with me to and from class every day, and am looking for one of two things.

Either:
-a case that can hold both the AWK and iPad2
-a case just for the AWK that is very sturdy. I was thinking something like a hard plastic sleeve to ensure the keyboard does not bend and break inside my backpack.

I have been looking for a couple hours and not found much that provides that much protection for the keyboard, most of them have been little felt slip sleeves.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks,
Matt

OP
M

matt2v17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome.

There are a bunch of existing threads with good info about keyboard cases (findable via forum search), and here's a recent one to get you started:

Thanks for reading my post. Not what I asked for, I'm looking for Apple wireless keyboard cases, not iPad keyboard cases.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reading my post. Not what I asked for, I'm looking for Apple wireless keyboard cases, not iPad keyboard cases.

Sorry about that. Pasted wrong link. Others also findable via forum search.

I can recommend the origami case for the AWK. That's the one I have, but I don't use it much, so don't know about wear long term. Some users say the Velcro falls off after awhile, but others have stuck them back on with Krazy Glue and kept typing away.

OP
M

matt2v17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Pasted wrong link. Others also findable via forum search.

I can recommend the origami case for the AWK. That's the one I have, but I don't use it much, so don't know about wear long term. Some users say the Velcro falls off after awhile, but others have stuck them back on with Krazy Glue and kept typing away.

It's alright. I searched a few different terms but couldn't find anything that I hadn't seen. I've seen the waterfeild cases, and the incase origami case, but I didn't think those offered much support. The incase could easily bend, couldn't it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's alright. I searched a few different terms but couldn't find anything that I hadn't seen. I've seen the waterfeild cases, and the incase origami case, but I didn't think those offered much support. The incase could easily bend, couldn't it?

I haven't had trouble with bending the origami case, but I'm not tough on it. YMMV.

I've read that some users ended up using a CD case (the kind that zip up and hold two stacks of CDs). Seems those can be easily found with lots of variety and at good prices. And some don't have the plastic CD envelopes attached, so you can just slip them out.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen this one before too, does it have good support? It seems like it could easily be bent in half. Do you know of any others that might provide more support.

I can't say if it has any hard backing but like you say if it's a soft case the keyboard could get bent.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No. It doesn't "bend." The "rubberized" covering is over hard plastic (I assume) interior plates. It's quite tough (if a bit less than elegant looking.) The AWK snaps into clips that hold it in place and the cover is quite durable. As Kaykaykay noted, some customers have reported problems with the velcro closures coming loose but I think those were early production units. In any case, I haven't encountered the problem in about nine months of use.

All in all, the Incase Origami Workstation is an outstanding product, imo. The only comparable product is made by Logitech. But that product includes a Logitech keyboard with the case serving as a separate stand for the iPad when the keyboard is removed. The OW is specifically designed to hold the AWK and to act as a stand for the iPad simultaneously.

BTW, as I suspect you realize, you'll probably want a "bag" to hold both the iPad and the AWK in its OW case. The Waterfield Design Travel Express case for the iPad works for this purpose but it's a tight fit. I use mine when going to meetings where appearance is an issue. Otherwise, I use a "Freestyle" messenger bag from Timbuk2. It holds the iPad in an interior felt lined sleeve along with the OW and other stuff I might need.

Last edited:

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally like the ZAGGfolio iPad 2 Keyboard case the best.

but also them Aluminium ones are very cool, as they protect your iPad but the ipad can still be taken out easily as its not in a case
(similar to the uPlay posted above)

you can see a selection of 6 or 7 different keyboard cases in here:
http://www.tablet2cases.com/styles/keyboard/

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts