What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me with my iPad2 accessory bewilderment (esp keyboard & case)

tiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Feanor Hmm I'm new here and wondering if the Forum allows foreign Language?
Anyway I understand perfectly German and agree with KuKulan regarding the Zaggmate. I have the same decision issue since i want something super thin and light but protective and not having lose parts. have fun:)

OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tiger said:
@Feanor Hmm I'm new here and wondering if the Forum allows foreign Language?
Anyway I understand perfectly German and agree with KuKulan regarding the Zaggmate. I have the same decision issue since i want something super thin and light but protective and not having lose parts. have fun:)

Hehe I've no idea, I guess I just don't get to practice German much except with my gf :)

I'm wondering now about whether not to get a back protector. There's a thread about screen protectors, which I think are pointless (see my post in that thread) and this has made me think. The back is aluminium. So it's strong. Apple clearly thing it's strong enough for their Smart Cover not to provide protection. And if the iPad will only travel in its bag with the keyboard etc, it'll be protected then. Do I care if the back gets scratched and it doesn't look new in 2 years' time? Probably not really, for the same reasons as listed in that thread.

Corner protection might be warranted for drops I guess. I wonder if there's something available that just protects the corners of the iPad - each corner piece could then be held in place with an X that goes across the iPad back and connects the corner pieces together.

matthutch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feanor said:
The background: I have a 16Gb Wifi Ipad 1. I'm a keen amateur photographer, and with the release of the brilliant Photosmith, I need as much memory as possible for the massive files generated by my Canon 5DII. So I'm getting myself a 64Gb Wifi only iPad 2 for my birthday, whilst my girlfriend gets sole use of the iPad 1 (which will also stop us fighting over it).

Now, I need to choose what keyboard/case combo I want but I'm bemused by the vast array of different products on the market.

I like the idea of the ZAGGmate, but when I'm out and about with my iPad 2 I doubt I'll want a keyboard much. I won't want it for my photos particularly. Which makes me reluctant to be forced to "carry" the keyboard with me as an integrated case.
I'm also not entirely convinced by the idea of a protective case that is itself an expensive piece of technology. The Macally cover I have for my iPad 1 has proved its worth, and the edge protectors saved the iPad when I dropped it onto a stone airport floor once. I don't know what would have happened had the same thing occurred with the iPad in a ZAGGmate. I'm also not entirely convinced about how stable the iPad is when sat on the ZAGGmate when using them both on my lap.

I do like the look of the Apple Smartcovers. So I'm wondering whether to get a smart cover, the OEM Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, the Incase Irigami Workstation (I would link but am too new here for the forum to let me) and some larger case to hold everything together when on the go (and protect the iPad from drops when walking through airports).

But I'm not sure whether this solution will allow for occasional lap-top use. This, I know, is having said I don't want a case that turns my iPad into a laptop. I guess I want the best of all worlds. In reality I doubt there'll be many situations where I can't put the iPad a short distance away - on a coffee table, say - and use the Apple Keyboard on my lap.

Assuming this solution works and a smartcover is the way to go, should I get leather or polyurethane cover??

Many thanks in advance for any help :).

Best skins ever and smart cover, jobs a goodun

SusanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope...dont think there is a quertz version available.

Check this: Kensington Kensington iPad Keyboard Folio Case: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Reviews seem OK, much better than the only other alternative from GeneralKeys.

I have this keyboard/case. I really like it. At first, I didn't want to replace my Smart Cover, but I find that I like the ability to have a mini-station ready to go. The keyboard feels a bit stiff, but I prefer it to keying long items on the screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts