What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Gmail Default Mail App

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife uses Gmail as her only mail app. She has not enabled any Apple-provided email address and is not using the provided Mail app. This is on her Retina iPad mini.

When she navigates to a website and clicks a link to generate an email, just a general "contact" link for instance, instead of bringing up a blank email in Gmail addressed properly and waiting for her input, she gets a screen offering a choice of email clients.

Is there a way, perhaps in Settings, where she can authorize Gmail as her default email client and hopefully have Gmail automatically selected when she clicks on a site somewhere to generate an email response?

Sent using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to change the default apps in iOS 7.

If you need to send emails from third party apps, and at some point you probably have do, you need to set up your Gmail account in the Mail app. Other than opening it occasionally so it syncs, you can ignore it afterwards.

OP
NoBite

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANK YOU! I appreciate the immediate response! I will let my wife know the process.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But I use only gmail too and the mail app links to gmail. Only difference from using the gmail app is that emails are downloaded rather than left on the cloud. I am not sure why your wife doesn't want to activate the mail app.

OP
NoBite

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
n4uau - I share your thought here! I use three email addresses, each for different purposes, and it makes sense for me.

And, I just found out this morning that on her iPhone 4S she also only uses Gmail via their app and on the iPhone when she clicks somewhere that would normally open an email to send, it does! So, somewhere, somehow there is a setting just a little different on the iPad as versus her iPhone.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now THAT is interesting! In the iDevices class I teach, one lady finds when she uses the Note app on her phone, it automatically emails the note to her email. I've no idea why or how to stop that. Don't seem to be able to do on my 'Pad. Maybe a different setting on her phone.

Maybe someone on here knows.

OP
NoBite

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When she gets home from work tonight, I will scrutinize both devices and see if I can find ANY differences in the settings. Oh, she just switched to a MacBook Pro at work from a PC and is having the exact same issue there! So odd.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
n4uau - I share your thought here! I use three email addresses, each for different purposes, and it makes sense for me.

And, I just found out this morning that on her iPhone 4S she also only uses Gmail via their app and on the iPhone when she clicks somewhere that would normally open an email to send, it does! So, somewhere, somehow there is a setting just a little different on the iPad as versus her iPhone.

I'm willing to bet that if you go to Setting > Mail, Contacts, Calendars you will see her Gmail account set up. It's what I'm suggesting you do on the iPad.

There is NO way to make the Gmail app default. None. Not on any iOS device.

Most reactions

Latest posts