What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail App: Sender and Subject header lines do not match up with email content

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS: 8.1.1
Device: iPad 2 and iPad Air
App: The built in Mail App
Issue: The subject line does not always agree with the body of the email
E-Mail Server: Gmail and Roadrunner

About a week ago I deleted an email. A few days ago, I saw that email's subject line in an email. I opened it and the content was not what was in the deleted email. It was a new email that had the subject line from the deleted email.

I then went to some other emails and had the same issue with a few others. The sender line and subject line did not match the body of the email it was connected to or the sender. I thought I was seeing things. My iPad gets shut down completely regularly.

Well, my friend just emailed me. She got an email from Facebook reminding her of a friend's birthday. She read the email and deleted it. This afternoon she went through her emails looking for something else and came across that deleted email from Facebook. The header was addressed to her from Facebook and the subject was that birthday but it was actually from a company she does business with and the body of the email was telling her she received a discount from that company.

She then got one from a group about growing up where she lives in the header subject line. The body was an email from her daughter sent to her and her daughter's in-laws with the reply from her daughter's in-laws. She has done a complete shutdown of her iPad.

I haven't checked to see if I have any further erroneous emails.

Has anyone else had this issue. Yes, all the usual fixes have been done. It is very odd and never appeared before the latest 8.1.1 update.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a small chance this is happening on the Gmail server. So make sure you go to your Gmail on the web and compare the emails.

But it is more likely to be a corruption of the file system in the iPad's Mail app. If you have not done so, try deleting the email account from the iPad, then re-adding it. Be sure to let it delete local files when doing so. That should clean up any problems, at least temporarily. If it is a bug, or a problem between Gmail and Mail, it may come back.

I havn't seen the issue, but my Gmail account is a secondary one, and lightly used.

Tlca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem. It continued after the ios 8.1.2 update. I deleted the gmail account and added it back. This fixed it for a little while. It's happening again. The emails are fine in the Gmail app and if I access it through the Internet. Any solutions to this problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have had the same problem. It continued after the ios 8.1.2 update. I deleted the gmail account and added it back. This fixed it for a little while. It's happening again. The emails are fine in the Gmail app and if I access it through the Internet. Any solutions to this problem?

Just to try deleting and re-adding the account again. For good measure, restart the iPad in between.

The other options is to do a full restore of the iPad, in case the Mail app itself is corrupt. But I wouldn't do that unless the problem still persists after at least a couple other attempts of the above.

Most reactions

Latest posts