What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail read-ability...

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so enjoying the speed and capacity (128GB) of my iPad Air 2 now I've settled in with it.... I repair electronics as a living and I store as many as possible .pdf service manuals on board and using GoodReader App the speed I can zip around a complex schematic diagram, zooming in and out then panning with virtually no Lag is absolutely brilliant. It means no more huge books on the workbench and great large paper sheets unfolded to cover everything that soon get torn or ripped...

My problem though is MAIL.... Will it ever be logically possible to read an email (which is the general purpose of email) so it is switchable up to FULL SCREEN? I work in Landscape because of the viewing diagram thing and often an email arrives presenting a photograph or mechanical diagram but I constantly find just zooming and panning the ¾ available area of the screen is a joke and I have to access my mail server again online through Safari or go to another computer and re-do the email process....

Maybe someone has a better email App for the iPad.... .?

.... As always. Any info truly appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In almost all cases you can view an image or PDF in full screen simply by tapping on it. This opens it in what Apple calles QuickView.

The alternarive is to save the file to another app with more flexible viewing controls. GoodReader is a good, genreal choice for this. There are better apps for specific file types.

Unless you're need to use this file is temporary, I'd recommend saving it to another app. Using Mail as a file storage/viewing app isn't going to be a great experience.

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it goes without saying Mail on an iPad is for the most part effectively broken. I didn't mention that the biggest annoyance for me is the text tends to being too small because everything's bunched into the screen reduced 2/3rds of space and the process of pinching to zoom 'n finger flicks to pan just feels dumb... Why can't (please Apple) just make a triple-tap or something to enlarge the email up to full screen like when you interact with emails on a iPhone? I dunno, just seems really dumb for them not to be offering this...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can go to Settings > Display & Brightness and increase the Text Size. This is a system wide setting (for those apps that support it). Mail didn't used to support it, but it does under iOS 9.x.

Flipping the iPad to portrait gets you a full screen view, though it still wont' be quite as big as a full screen landscape view.

There are other emali apps. While I can't think of one that does what you want, you could give them a try.

sparksd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started using AltaMail because it downloads the entire message when loading mail from the server. That way, I can read the mail from my POP account when offline, with no Internet connection available. When you open a message to read it in either portrait or landscape mode, the open message takes up about 90-95% of the screen, effectively full-screen. I also dislike how the stock email app leaves the mailbox side panel open when in landscape mode - it's absurd not to have an option to reduce or close it.

Most reactions

Latest posts