What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF files in good reader... Too large for iPad!

subparmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, not quite sure which topic this fits under, but I'll just post it here.

I use my iPad2 with goodreader to store and view large PDF files for schematics and block diagrams. Unfortunately, some of these PDF files are very large in size, up to 8mb covering a size of 6ft x 8ft. These are single page files with lots of small lines and text.

When I look at schematic PDF files under 1mb, no problem. There is considerable quality, no lag, and I can actually use them for my intended purposes. Above 1mb, the files REALLY bog down, where zooming, moving, or even loading the initial file takes upwards of 30 seconds to a minute to load. This is very frustrating considering much larger multipage PDF files with high quality pictures load and read with absolutely none of this lag. I suspect that the sheer amount of vector data puts it over the top for this processor.

I've tried to convert to .tiff, .jpeg, .pict, etc, etc... Usually the lag goes away, but the quality is not high enough for me to read the small text, even with ppi counts up to the thousands.

I'm looking for some kind of workaround. Anything. If I could split the schematics into 6 separate pages, I would. If I could somehow still convert to jpeg or whatnot and still be able to read it, awesome. I have access to indesign, illustrator, and photoshop. I am on a MacBook pro, macosx 10.5.8. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be eternally grateful.

Oh, and I have over 200 of these that I would like to convert, so some type of batch convert would be ideal if possible. Thanks again,

-Dan

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts