What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macbook pro vs macbook air

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking of getting one or the other. Thing is I have a MacBook that I hardly use. Most of the time I use my iPad. But I am still considering another laptop would like to know from others if they recommend one over the other? Thanks!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you hardly use your current MacBook then I would see it as a waste of money to get either. My iPad does take over a lot of what I used to do on my PC, so it gets a lot less use. Thing is, when I need to do something I cannot do easily on the iPad, it is there and sufficient to undertake the task, even if it is 3 years old.

Your current MacBook will probably see you through for a while longer when it is necessary to do something away for the iPad.

scotong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes i also think that it is hard to monitor the mac book. Still need time to get used to it.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have iPad and a macbook pro,i wouldn't be without either one,i love my mbp and iPad as great as it is could never be be my only computer,to answer the question i prefer mbp over air as i like a disc drive.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
i have iPad and a macbook pro,i wouldn't be without either one,i love my mbp and iPad as great as it is could never be be my only computer,to answer the question i prefer mbp over air as i like a disc drive.

Agreed, I have both (actually two of each.....I think I need a therapist!) and although I have the MacBook Air, I have the MacBook Air SuperDrive for the odd occasions that I need to read or write to a CD/DVD but either the Pro or the Air are excellent machines.

The Archangel

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
If you hardly use your current MacBook then I would see it as a waste of money to get either. My iPad does take over a lot of what I used to do on my PC, so it gets a lot less use. Thing is, when I need to do something I cannot do easily on the iPad, it is there and sufficient to undertake the task, even if it is 3 years old.

Your current MacBook will probably see you through for a while longer when it is necessary to do something away for the iPad.

You are 100 percent right, I only use my MacBook to upload my pictures. Everything else I do on my iPad. And my white MacBook was just purchased at Christmas, right before they stopped making them.

BUT, i still want a MacBook pro or air. Can't explain it. Maybe then I will use my laptop more?!?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, I have both (actually two of each.....I think I need a therapist!) and although I have the MacBook Air, I have the MacBook Air SuperDrive for the odd occasions that I need to read or write to a CD/DVD but either the Pro or the Air are excellent machines.

The Archangel

You def need a therapist...! :)

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

The Archangel

I have 2 personal iPads, one in black and one in white as I couldn't decide on a color. A new iMac that I personally probably used only 5 times, but I had to have it- i was tired if seeing the word DELL every time i passed my desk. My MacBook as I explained earlier was bought for Christmas and that has now turned into an overpriced photo holder.

But I STILL want a MacBook pro or air! Maybe the therapist can give us a group rate?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
applechick said:
I have 2 personal iPads, one in black and one in white as I couldn't decide on a color. A new iMac that I personally probably used only 5 times, but I had to have it- i was tired if seeing the word DELL every time i passed my desk. My MacBook as I explained earlier was bought for Christmas and that has now turned into an overpriced photo holder.

But I STILL want a MacBook pro or air! Maybe the therapist can give us a group rate?

I think you may be right! I have so much Apple gear that I could probably open my own Apple Store......start of therapy "my name is Gabriel, I'm an Appleoholic"......

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I think you may be right! I have so much Apple gear that I could probably open my own Apple Store......start of therapy "my name is Gabriel, I'm an Appleoholic"......

The Archangel

Some advice, please, Gab. What is the oldest Apple laptop you would consider buying? I'm sitting on a whole heap of outdated computer equipment, but want to buy a laptop so I can take more music and movies on the road with me than is practical with an iPad. Just not ready to splash out on a brand new one.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Some advice, please, Gab. What is the oldest Apple laptop you would consider buying? I'm sitting on a whole heap of outdated computer equipment, but want to buy a laptop so I can take more music and movies on the road with me than is practical with an iPad. Just not ready to splash out on a brand new one.

If I were going for an older MacBook I would probably be looking at an early MacBook Air, 1st gen, if it's mainly for music and movies. The one thing that you would need to consider is that it doesn't have an optical drive built in but I picked up an Amazon Basics External DVD rewriter for less than £30 brand new. I think the Air is good for travelling because of the weight and size but still offers some serious poke under the hood.

I have a White MacBook but there is a serious increase in weight (and heat) and because they are plastic bodied they would be less robust for travelling with.

The MacBook Pro's are more powerful and have built in optical drives but you pay a weight penalty and in addition it doesn't sound like you would need the additional computing power.

You might want to take a look at the refurb store on Apple.com as there are often some real bargains on there and obviously they come with a full warranty.

The Archangel

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were going for an older MacBook I would probably be looking at an early MacBook Air, 1st gen, if it's mainly for music and movies. The one thing that you would need to consider is that it doesn't have an optical drive built in but I picked up an Amazon Basics External DVD rewriter for less than £30 brand new. I think the Air is good for travelling because of the weight and size but still offers some serious poke under the hood.

I have a White MacBook but there is a serious increase in weight (and heat) and because they are plastic bodied they would be less robust for travelling with.

The MacBook Pro's are more powerful and have built in optical drives but you pay a weight penalty and in addition it doesn't sound like you would need the additional computing power.

You might want to take a look at the refurb store on Apple.com as there are often some real bargains on there and obviously they come with a full warranty.

The Archangel
if i can add to it i agree with Gabe,i too have a mbp and while they are robust and brilliant they are a little weighty.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Gab and Ivy. I now know what to look for. I don't need serious computing power, and I'm not too fussed about an optical drive, as I would rather leave my DVDs and CDs at home.

I'll have a look on kijiji over the weekend.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
Kevin!!! Jailbreak your ipad......then you can carry music on storage devices to play through your ipad!! Its the future!

Hoping to join the dark side this weekend.

Most reactions

Latest posts