What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low volume on FaceTime with iPad 2

kathtuss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and when I FaceTime the person on the other end can barely hear me although I hear them just fine! Help this is so frustrating! I have looked into the settings and looked at the volume and it is fine!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your microphone obstructed or are you too far from it? If you test that and it doesn't work and you've tried resetting and you're still stuck, take it to an Apple store so they can test. If your microphone is a dud, they'll take care of you.

OP
K

kathtuss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There isn't anything in the way. I've checked the volume. I have to yell and they barely hear me. The closest Apple store is an hour away so I'll have to plan to go out there! Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There isn't anything in the way. I've checked the volume. I have to yell and they barely hear me. The closest Apple store is an hour away so I'll have to plan to go out there! Thanks

And you've ruled out a prob on their end? Has everyone else you Skyped or FaceTimed also had a prob hearing you?

OP
K

kathtuss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes everyone I FaceTime has the same issue with hearing me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried closing FaceTime, restarting and resetting your iPad, then trying FaceTime again? Are you able to try Skype or some other app that uses the microphone to figure out whether it's a FT-only prob or a microphone prob?

If you're far from an Apple store, you might try calling or emailing Apple first, to see whether you can get help via phone instead of driving there, which could be your last resort. If they diagnose dud hardware via phone, they sometimes send you a replacement and have you send yours back in a post-paid box. That might save you time and a drive, especially because the nearest Apple store might not have your model in stock to offer a replacement.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The common issue here, the mic is prob blocked with dust on the inside, and would require a strong blow of air to clear it out, either a compressed air can or a visit to a shop that have a compressed air hose (that they use for their air powered tools), and ask if they can attach their blower, and blow it out for you. Your mouth might not work(i tried, haha).

Just to verify, use one of your recording app, and blow hard into the mic while recording, you'll see.

Mine has been this way for months now, didn't fix(blowout) yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I thought dust were the issue, I would use a vacuum rather than compressed air.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean?

Suck out dust with a household vacuum cleaner rather than bothering with compressed air. Most people have vacuums, and vacuuming is less likely to send dust where you might not want it.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suck out dust with a household vacuum cleaner rather than bothering with compressed air. Most people have vacuums, and vacuuming is less likely to send dust where you might not want it.

Thanks for explaining yourself, thought you were being sarcastic.

When i browsed the issue a while back, i didn't see any mention of a vacuum, as i thought it would not suck powerful enough, especially trying to fit it to a very small hole, and getting strong suction.

Found this thread(2 pages) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2799727?start=0&tstart=0
As you can see from that thread, dude tried a vacuum, but still had issues....thats why i think compressed air will fully clear it out.

I'm gonna give the vacuum a shot, mine sucks really good.

And i don't think dust would affect the iPad in any way, since it does not carry a fan.....only clog up holes.

Off Topic: My PS3 fell victim to dust clogging up certain vents, and i guess overheated the board, and got a red light of death.
took it to a shop, and blowed it out afterwards......the dust that came out of that PS3 was overkill, WOW!!!....was not expecting that much.

OP
K

kathtuss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I will call Apple and see if they can help first and I do have a good vacuum I can try. That mike hole is tiny. I do also want to install Skype. Try that out too. Maybe it is just the FaceTime. It's annoying as I've only had the iPad for 6 months and feel it should work fine! Thanks for the advice though.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing you could try is to attach a Bluetooth earpiece intended for a mobile phone. FaceTime supports Bluetooth, as does Skype. My recommendation is the Jabra Easygo, which supports two simultaneously connected devices, $48 from WalMart.

I don't normally connect mine to my iPad as I have two phones which are permanently connected to my Jabra, but I tested it when someone else asked a similar question and found that it worked. BT is limited on Skype to audio calls, but FaceTime supports video.

I know this is not going to help with your potential hardware issue, but at least you can talk without having to scream. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions