What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost home page icons

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
really stepped in it this time. Trying to add Yahoo Weather icon on the home page and that was not an option on the drop down so I tried following a bunch of different directions to do it. What I managed to do was clear the home page of all icons but the description for each still shows at the top of the page. When I try to add them back they don’t appear on that page but instead show up at the very end of all the apps. If I minimize the home page they are all still there but in normal size they are gone.
Can anyone help me fix this mess?
Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
really stepped in it this time. Trying to add Yahoo Weather icon on the home page and that was not an option on the drop down so I tried following a bunch of different directions to do it. What I managed to do was clear the home page of all icons but the description for each still shows at the top of the page. When I try to add them back they don’t appear on that page but instead show up at the very end of all the apps. If I minimize the home page they are all still there but in normal size they are gone.

Hello Fogey0 - please provide some more information: 1) What iPad model do you own (be specific - if not sure then check in Settings or go to the Wiki table HERE); 2) What iPadOS is installed (current version is 13.5.1); and if applicable (depending on your OS), are you using the 'More' or the 'Bigger' icons selection in the home screen option in Settings?

I just downloaded the 'Yahoo Weather' app and moved to my first 'home screen' (or 'page') - is that what you want to do? Or, possibly placed the app in the dock at the bottom? Let us know - in the meantime, have you rebooted the iPad (each model may have different directions). Dave :)
IMG_1124.PNG

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Model iPad Air, version 12.2.4, model # ME993LL/B.
Couldn’t find the more/bigger icon selection but they look normal size to me.
I just wanted to move the Yahoo to the home page not the dock at the bottom and managed to get in all this trouble. I did reboot it but nothing changed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Having trouble picturing what is going on. Can you give us a screenshot of problem home page?

To make a screenshot on an iPad Air, press the home and power key at the same time (briefly). The screen shot will show up in the Photos app. Use the UPLOAD FILE button at the bottom of the text box on the this site to choose and upload the image.

You can find out how to movie icons around on your iPad using the iPad User Guide either on Apple’s site, or using the Book app and iBook Store. Free either way.

iPad User Guide
‎iPad User Guide for iOS 12.3

I believe I’ve linked the proper versions for your iPad and OS, but double check to be sure.

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. My home page went blank and all the icons were gone. The margin above still showed the names of the apps but the body of the page was blank. They also all showed when opening favorites. Then, for some unknown reason I went back to the home page a little while ago and everything was back and functioning. I have no explanation for any of this.
It started when I tried to add Yahoo weather app to the home page but the drop down on the app did not provide that option. I tried different ways to do this but none worked and ultimately caused all these issues.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you. My home page went blank and all the icons were gone. The margin above still showed the names of the apps but the body of the page was blank. They also all showed when opening favorites. Then, for some unknown reason I went back to the home page a little while ago and everything was back and functioning. I have no explanation for any of this.
It started when I tried to add Yahoo weather app to the home page but the drop down on the app did not provide that option. I tried different ways to do this but none worked and ultimately caused all these issues.

Hi again Fogey0 - TPoet has made some suggestions including links to the iOS Guide (be sure to obtain the one pertaining to your installed iOS) - as already suggested, a 'screen shot' would help enormously because I'm still not understanding exactly your issue, sorry. Now, in bold above, you indicated that the home page returned to normal - correct? If so, then is all fine now? Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just checked the App Store and the Yahoo Weather app requires iOS 13 or later. It should not even offer to be installed on iOS 12.

On The other hand you can add the website as an icon. Given the huge number of good, free weather apps I'm not sure why you would do that.

Moving either icon after it has been downloaded/added is the same.

No ideas about the Home Screen weirdness, and now that it is gone no way to figure it out: but if it is good now I suppose it doesn't matter, other than my curiosity.

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for the help. No explanation for everything coming back but at this point there’s nothing to do. I gave up adding Yahoo weather to the home page so I guess everything is good again.

Most reactions