What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost all my emails after ios 5 install.

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I get back my emails that have disappeared after the ios install?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you provide more information so we may assist. please provide details about your computer type and what os you are using. Do you have a back up of your computer. Finally do you have your isp store your emails for 30 days and how is the ipad receiving the emails and from where. With this information we should be able to assist.

in the meant time go in to preferences email and see if the settings are correct.

smoothchat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh oh! same thing happened to me. My wife is gonna kill me for fiddling with it.

iPad2, iTunes on Win7 Professional 64bit.

Yes PC is backed up. iPad backed itself up at start of ios5 upgrade. Only 1 email remained after upgrade and that was received 3 days ago !!

The restore option in iTunes shows an iPad backup I made last night (before the iOS5.0 upgrade was available). If I restore from that, will it mess with the new ios5 versions of mail etc?

Last edited:
OP
A

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Win 7 pc, ipad 1.Its the emails I had on the ipad that I lost. Top marks Apple.

rogdas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. Everything was restored except emails from 3 accounts.
Mine is win7 home premium 64bit. I Did the update yesterday but when i check my emails today its all gone.
I just tried to restore the back-up i did a day earlier but still the same. I planned to update yesterday
So i did a backup before that and itunes did another backup before updating. Sad.

McPc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto

No problems with the download. Backup up installed fine. All my apps were still in place and worked. The only hitch was ALL my email from 2 pop email accounts was gone. Not a one remained.

With all the other problems I've seen with this update I didn't even want to think about trying to mess around with a restore as it didn't seem like a sure bet either. Guess we'll just have to accept it and move one. Sure would be nice to hear why that happened.

FYI Win7 64bit Professional

Nospam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG! No warning during the update about this. Complete nightmare, I've lost the lot and no way to restore the selected items and current threads I need to keep with me when travelling. Also my sent messages, which were important. Totally screwed up, why no warning during install or did I miss it???

PS. PC Win7 Vista Home Premium

Last edited:

misterfudd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a setting that was silently changed to only show the last three days email. Change that and you'll be golden.

russellclayton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi misterfudd, I like many others have lost all my MobileMe emails when upgrading to iOS 5. You state that it has been changed to only show the last three days mail and that changing this will sort it out but you do not advise how to change this. Which settings etc need to be changed?

visualhaus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also lost emails. i have 3 pop accounts on my ipad. 2 are completely wiped (empty trash, sent, inbox etc) and one is fully together. I tried a back up from restore (that i did before the update) but no luck.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
russellclayton said:
Hi misterfudd, I like many others have lost all my MobileMe emails when upgrading to iOS 5. You state that it has been changed to only show the last three days mail and that changing this will sort it out but you do not advise how to change this. Which settings etc need to be changed?

Not sure about last 3 days but if you go into Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calenders>Show you can pick up to the last 1000 emails.....hope that helps.

russellclayton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gabriel1, have already tried that along with restoring from old backups but nothing works; all emails prior to install of iOS 5 have completely vanished and it seems they are non recoverable :( Hence asking misterfudd for clarification.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your emails will still be on their respective servers, log into them and see.

In my case it downloaded all the old messages because the servers were not marked as 'read'.

magicbytim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure your passwords have been entered. It appears as though passwords were not transferred. Once I put my password in all emails downloaded.

Unfortunately they all downloaded as unread so I will have to click on all of them one at a time to mark as read. If anyone knows how to make multiple emails as read please post.

Nospam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have three POP3 servers and thousands of emails, I keep the important and current ones on the iPad when travelling for work, trawling back through them all to find them would be a nightmare, it is ridiculous that this wasn't a warning message during upgrade, an apology would be the least to expect.

Most reactions

Latest posts