What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a pdf reader which meets these requirements

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a pdf reader which meets these requirements:

1- Open pdf starting from last page opened during last session
2- Be able to scroll between pages vertically (not horizontally like many current ones) do. Vertical scroll should be a continuous smooth scroll without doing a sudden full page pull in. Should behave as if pdf is one single very long page.
3- Should be able to change width of page and lock it. Page should not move sideways. Page width should be remembered so when same pdf is opened, it opens in that width.
4- A fast scroll feature. Useful for pdf's with hundreds of pages.
5- Nice to have feature: when opening the pdf reader, it automatically opens the last pdf file on the last page read.

I have tried all the free pdf readers in the AppStore and none met all these requirements except for two which had these issues:

1- iRead limitation: When screen is touched for more than a second, the page is frozen (locked) and page can't be scrolled. Scrolling is done when doing quick swipes only
2- FileApp limitation: Does not remember last page opened. Does not remember last width set. Fast scroll doesn't work properly when width is other than default.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have You Tried Good Reader?

It comes highly recommended by many forum members. I like it because it opens .doc, .xls, and many PDF files. AND very easy to use. I don't remember if I paid for it--it wasn't enough to notice.

OP
A

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It comes highly recommended by many forum members. I like it because it opens .doc, .xls, and many PDF files. AND very easy to use. I don't remember if I paid for it--it wasn't enough to notice.

It doesn't support the vertical scrolling mentioned in #2.

Frezing Phoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks is the best PDF reader IMHO!

Well said. Ever since iBooks enabled the feature GoodReader has been sitting like a dummy when it comes to PDFs! [I still use it in the field though as it is great to store and access a bunch of different formats for a project]

OP
A

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks is the best PDF reader IMHO!

It doesn't do vertical scrolling last time I checked. It was doing paging flipping. Cute for the first few times but not practical.
I am looking for a reader which supports the requirements I mentioned. I don't care if a software is someone's favorite if it doesn't meet my requirements. Something is a best is a subjective issue.

I just downloaded iBooks again. Noticed there are no builit in books. Can't find fee books on the AppStore. Does not show in the apps section in iTunes which means I don't know how to transfer a file to it like I do with other apps. To me, iBooks sucks right now.

DrJNAB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free has Limitations

Relax.

Free apps do not meet your criteria, sometimes.

OP
A

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Relax.

Free apps do not meet your criteria, sometimes.

I didn't say it has to be free. You recommended PDF Expert which I spent $5 on and it didn't even do vertical scrolling. What's the point of posting requirements then!?

zan5hin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the point of posting requirements then!?

If vertical scrolling is such an important feature for you, then how about using 1% of your brain and googling "pdf ipad vertical scrolling". Suprise, PDF Reader Pro is the first hit.

Try thinking for yourself before having a whinge.

OP
A

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the point of posting requirements then!?

If vertical scrolling is such an important feature for you, then how about using 1% of your brain and googling "pdf ipad vertical scrolling". Suprise, PDF Reader Pro is the first hit.

Try thinking for yourself before having a whinge.

I have PDF Reader Pro and it suffers from jerky scrolling between pages. I also mentioned in my post about another app which does vertical scrolling. If you had used 0.5% (maybe too big a number) of your brain and read my post carefully, you would know that just any vertical scrolling is not I am looking for.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't any "perfect apps" out there. The ones mentioned here are the best I have seen. Sometimes you just have too wait. There will be a better one just might not be today.....:)

OP
A

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the ipad is that you don't get trials like a PC where you download a trial and if it doesn't meet your needs, you simply uninstall it and move to the next. I have tried all the free ones. If I add their features together, they actually meet all my needs but none on its own does. I feel I am close but I don't want to purchase all the commercial ones just to find out. That's why I posted here. Maybe someone who purchased one knows.

I appreciate getting replies where the person knows for sure the app does what I want instead of speculations. There are no trials like I said. I will have to buy it. I just went through one and it didn't work out.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the ipad is that you don't get trials like a PC where you download a trial and if it doesn't meet your needs, you simply uninstall it and move to the next. I have tried all the free ones. If I add their features together, they actually meet all my needs but none on its own does. I feel I am close but I don't want to purchase all the commercial ones just to find out. That's why I posted here. Maybe someone who purchased one knows.

I appreciate getting replies where the person knows for sure the app does what I want instead of speculations. There are no trials like I said. I will have to buy it. I just went through one and it didn't work out.

Oh yea, I know the drill... I have had an iPhone since the very first one. Always wished they had some trial program setup. They do it for music & lately they have started 90sec trial clips. Hopefully soon apps will get there too. But who knows I'm sure many Devs have many different opinions on that.:(

Most reactions

Latest posts