What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I doing this right? Storing PDFs on the device.

Reaction score
The way iOS currently handles files, a single file can be opened in multiple apps, but only be edited in one of them. Otherwise you won't be able to open the updated version in all files.

The closest you will get is by editing PDF's in Goodreader and then opening the PDF's in other apps using the Open in... button. Since any edits outside Goodreader will not be synced back, you would have to reimport the edited file into Goodreader, be it through iTunes, Email or Dropbox or perhaps an Open in... function, though PDF Expert does not seem to support this.

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Nate for the info. While I would not consider my self an expert, I have been working with PDF files long enough (both on my desktop [Adobe] as well as most of the PDF apps that are supposed to work with iPad) to know my way around with how they react with or without annotations.

Probably a lot of people will now explore some of the other options (pads/slates) if they allow for some sort of file structure or file manager.

I had read some of the reviews, but, don't want to start a firebrand here on an iPad forum. I really appreciate the iPad for what it can do. I just need something that goes a little farther. So the wife may get the iPad after all. Just wish I had purchased one of the le$$er versions.

Jer

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand...if Goodreader would allow editing of input cells I could narrow this project down to one app. I think I'll post a suggestion to their site and cross my fingers.

Or if PDF Expert would improve their navigation I could use it. Or if Apple would update their iBook app....

If all three would get in a room together I bet they could has it out in an hour and give us a true solution. Lol

Nate

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of tablets out there running Windows, which will do everything requested. HP will even sell you one of those tablets Balmer showed off, if you ask loudly and often.

They have been tried and found lacking. The business users I support have been overwhelmingly happy with their iPads. Most users don't want four programs for one file type many would happily use one program for everything if they could.

Last edited:
OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And now another irritating experience with the iPad. After reading 4phun's post...it seemed like he knew something I didn't so I tried out his recommendation of iannotate. Cost 9.99. The description says it allows you to fill out forms. I thought that meant form fields. Nope. It doesn't do form fields. Therefore it doesn't do anything that good reader doesn't do. Wasted another ten bucks. No refund since it does what it says it does but I failed to read the detail. Damnitalltohell!

Oh well...I came out of is with a little more knowledge. More data to make the ultimate decision. That's always a good thing. LOL

Nate

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of tablets out there running Windows, which will do everything requested. HP will even sell you one of those tablets Balmer showed off, if you ask loudly and often.

They have been tried and found lacking. The business uses I support have been overwhelmingly happy with their iPads. Most users don't want four programs for one file type many would happily use one program for everything if they could.

So what are you saying, USBill? Do you have one app that does the form fields and decent navigation for reading and annotated with pencil as well as typewriter? Highlighting? Bookmarks from the original document? Stamps? Point it out and I will buy it. So far I have only found one app that does form fields...PDF Expert. But maybe I missed one.

It is not my wish that I be able to use multiple apps. But since there are no apps that do everything I need I am stuck using multiple apps. See my dilemma?

Nate

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nateccnn said:
So what are you saying, USBill? Do you have one app that does the form fields and decent navigation for reading and annotated with pencil as well as typewriter? Highlighting? Bookmarks from the original document? Stamps? Point it out and I will buy it. So far I have only found one app that does form fields...PDF Expert. But maybe I missed one.

It is not my wish that I be able to use multiple apps. But since there are no apps that do everything I need I am stuck using multiple apps. See my dilemma?

Nate

IAnnotate

Simple answer in spades!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nateccnn said:

Nate

IAnnotate

Simple answer in spades!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Really? So iAnnotate does form fields? Can you tell me how? Cuz my copy shows no form fields. Maybe it's a setting I missed. Please tell.

Nate

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's another that can do pencil filled form fields as well as annotate. I use it in other ways but am aware of its use with pdfs. You can check it out in the app store as well as watch some overviews before buying. Very well thought out app.

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?desktop_uri=/NoteTakerHD&user=NoteTakerHD&gl=US

I don't have Iannotate but reading about it leads one to believe it will work as mentioned above. I am reading the support page guide

http://www.ajidev.com/iannotate/support/contents.html

One suggestion. When i've had issues, need further support or have suggestions I've contacted the developers directly (most all apps in the app store have a developers contact). . I've been quiite pleased with how all of the ones I've contacted have gotten back to me with helpful info, possible further info about future upgrades, etc. Its worth a try for help with an app that "almost works" for you.

Last edited:
OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another that can do pencil filled form fields as well as annotate. I use it in other ways but am aware of its use with pdfs. You can check it out in the app store as well as watch some overviews before buying. Very well thought out app.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I don't have Iannotate but reading about it leads one to believe it will work as mentioned above. I am reading the support page guide

iAnnotate Guide

One suggestion. When i've had issues, need further support or have suggestions I've contacted the developers directly (most all apps in the app store have a developers contact). . I've been quiite pleased with how all of the ones I've contacted have gotten back to me with helpful info, possible further info about future upgrades, etc. Its worth a try for help with an app that "almost works" for you.

Thanks, Diane...you've been very helpful. I've already contacted a couple developers. Right now my focus is on having a little fun with 4fun. That's what he is 4, right? <wink>

PS...Pencils in a form field won't work because the database won't know what the characters are. In a properly formatted PDF with form fields the data in the fields is stored in a comma delimited file so I can open the reults in Access or Excell and sort through the data. Filling them in with a pencil tool just puts artwork on top of the field, not data in the field.

Nate

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I misread that--you wanted pencil annotations (notetaker HD does that which is then included as part of PDFs) but not what you need for form fill fields.

Most reactions

Latest posts