What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's add gps...

onatepp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am an italian Apple fun.
I had the luck to buy an iPad in the US and now a can't stop playing with it.
I have jailbroken it (did teh same with my iPhone) and installed ROQYBT.
The version of ROQY is 1.1, it fully works, bonds to my GPS antenna and shoot out the coordinates ok.
I have tested it with the following:
1-iPad maps app - works perfectly
2-Google maps app - works perfectly
3-Navigon - can fix but freeze when I start a route guidance
4-nDrive - do not fix, do not "feel" GPS coordinates coming in from ROQY
5-iGO - can do everything but keeps "getting and loosing" the GPS with an effect quite annoying.

Would be happy to share my experience with you guys.

Regards.

Antonio

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am an italian Apple fun.
I had the luck to buy an iPad in the US and now a can't stop playing with it.
I have jailbroken it (did teh same with my iPhone) and installed ROQYBT.
The version of ROQY is 1.1, it fully works, bonds to my GPS antenna and shoot out the coordinates ok.
I have tested it with the following:
1-iPad maps app - works perfectly
2-Google maps app - works perfectly
3-Navigon - can fix but freeze when I start a route guidance
4-nDrive - do not fix, do not "feel" GPS coordinates coming in from ROQY
5-iGO - can do everything but keeps "getting and loosing" the GPS with an effect quite annoying.

Would be happy to share my experience with you guys.

Regards.

Antonio

Big Thanks Antonio!!
I have the Wifi Ipad, no Gps inside :-(
I am planning to buy the roqybt IF it works with my Tomtom application, it would be great!!
There is virtualy NO support on the website of the maker of Roqy.

OP
O

onatepp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...I am gong to' tetst TomTom tonight. Will post result tomorrow.
Stay tuner.
Antonio

OP
O

onatepp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends......look like we are out of luck....TomTom cannot collect teh GPS data from Roqy. At the time being the only apps that really work are Maps and Google maps.
I will write to the developer of Roqy and try to urge him on starting the investigation.
My dream is.....iPhone 3GS with a GPS server app and iPad with a GPS Client app, connected via wifi. What do you think about it?
Regards and happy hacking.

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends......look like we are out of luck....TomTom cannot collect teh GPS data from Roqy. At the time being the only apps that really work are Maps and Google maps.
I will write to the developer of Roqy and try to urge him on starting the investigation.
My dream is.....iPhone 3GS with a GPS server app and iPad with a GPS Client app, connected via wifi. What do you think about it?
Regards and happy hacking.

Arghhh!!
Let's ask Roqy.
But, using the Iphone as a gps server, seems a bad idea for me, the gps reception of a 3GS is not so good (i even use a re-radiating antenna).
So for me, best solution would be, a external GPS receiver, connected thrue bleutooth to my Ipad.
Lets hack on!!

OP
O

onatepp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends....finally we have an app working. I have just test with a full success SYGIC AURA (Italy). It is 100% operational.
My configuration is:
iPad 32GB WIFI only
ROQYBT 1.10
Sygic Aura 1.15

When you can lay your hands on the US version buy it in confidence and also download and buy ROQY. You will be fully set.
Regards.
Antonio

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends....finally we have an app working. I have just test with a full success SYGIC AURA (Italy). It is 100% operational.
My configuration is:
iPad 32GB WIFI only
ROQYBT 1.10
Sygic Aura 1.15

When you can lay your hands on the US version buy it in confidence and also download and buy ROQY. You will be fully set.
Regards.
Antonio

Antonio,

And how do you feel using it? Isnt it just to big? I am wondering where And how to mount it in my Alfa Gt !

OP
O

onatepp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rudy. I use it more as a trip planner when I am on the go. I do not actually use it s a turn-by-turn navigation system. It is such a pleasure to be able to jump from the map to safari to gather info to Google maps and so forth. I do not know if I can explain it in english:). There is a tool out to integrate it in the car dash. I have seen it on internet. Is a company that makes iPhone accessories. I can try to look back for it if you want to have a look.

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rudy. I use it more as a trip planner when I am on the go. I do not actually use it s a turn-by-turn navigation system. It is such a pleasure to be able to jump from the map to safari to gather info to Google maps and so forth. I do not know if I can explain it in english:). There is a tool out to integrate it in the car dash. I have seen it on internet. Is a company that makes iPhone accessories. I can try to look back for it if you want to have a look.

I am in the process of testing BTstack GPS.
Software installed, waiting for my BT device (will be here in some minutes)
I have Tomtom, Navigon, Sygic, all official versions that i bought for my Iphone.
I keep you posted!!

By the way, did you know that Sygic also uses the Wifi to determe your position? I just tested it. Could be enough for basic planning indoors.

Last edited:

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update 1:

program works, i use the next GPS receiver:

Review: Freedom Keychain GPS | WMExperts

Starting the BTstack gps prog is simple, it finds the device, and you give the code , the rest is automaticly. Programs opens and displays a basic map with you location and the type of fix (2D 3D...)
the you close the program, and when closed, the icon stays "on" to serv other programs

Tomtom does not find the signal
Navigon displays "something" but does not work correctly.
Sygic seems to work good (picks up the signal right away)
Later i will take it out for a drive, and keep you informed.

The ipad Maps (kaarten in Flemisch) also works.

Last edited:

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My configuration is:
iPad 32GB WIFI only
ROQYBT 1.10
Sygic Aura 1.15

Regards.
Antonio

Antonio, seems that Sygic is the only one who picks up the signal. (also with the other program BTstack GPS 5$ program)
But at least there is some evolution.

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update 2:

Did a little trip,
First, no TomTom And no navigon
And sygic also Doesn't work nicely, i have to disable wifi to get a "moving fix", And even then, position is to much behind.
No speed indicator also.
Ad the fact, that the device is huge in the car, And the screen is very glossy!

Most reactions

Latest posts