What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigon

tekki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I decided to use my new iPad as a gps and I love it. I have a pioneer Avic Z2 in dash gps unit but it's old. Even with the map updates it doesn't do the things I would love to do that I can do with the iPad.

I have a new iPad wifi only so I needed to do a few things to get the gps working and it does work well.
I purchases navigon because of the real time traffic notification and voice guidance.
I also had to purchase a blue tooth enabled gps I chose the tomtom mkii because it was 12 bucks off eBay with a car charger.
I had to jailbreak my iPad in order to install BTstack GPS so I can pair the external gps.
There is another Bluetooth gps that u can buy and don't have to jailbreak on amazons web site but it was over a 100 bucks.
I can tell you it's great and while navigon gets me where I need to go sometimes I have to pull up google maps in satellite view to actually see where say a baseball field is if navigon doesn't quite get me there.
I also tether my iPad and iPhone so I can get google map to work and get my exact location.

I use a bracket I got from amazon for the iPad to hold in my cup holder and a charger from my lighter.

I hope there's truly a 7 inch iPad coming out and has the gps chip built in like the 3G models cause I will no doubt get that as the 10 inch is a bit large in my truck.

I should have bought an iPad with the gps chip built in so I didn't need an external gps.

I love it and if the 7inch has my needs then I'll build an in dash setup for it.

Just thought I would share an experience I use my iPad for, and no I don't really look at it while I'm driving except a quick glance for guidance.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, I too have the wifi only iPad 3 and as I do all the map reading when we are travelling it was a real disappointment to find it did not have gps.

I will probably sell this wifi only version later but for now it is nice to find there is a work around :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMG_0460.jpg

Amazon.com: Arkon Tablet Seat Bolt Mount (TAB-FSM): Electronics

41LqT6EJoCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OP
T

tekki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the arm I use also, however I filed a few pieces of wood together that I cut out the size of my cup holder, wrapped in black felt. I use that arm because it fits my blackberry playbook and/or my iPad. Playbook has gps built in but the mapping programs are terrible.

Most reactions

Latest posts