What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS questions

FlavioSousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I visited Berlin, Germany this Summer and my new iPad was extremely useful.

I used a wonderful app called OffMap Lite (demo version), you can read all about it here:

OffMaps² - Offline Maps for iPhone, iPod and iPad

3 questions:

1) I'm not sure if I used OffMaps correctly. The first few days, the GPS seemed to work perfectly: it was very precise and only took a couple of seconds to start working. I remember I was in a central area at the time (Alexanderplatz, I don't know if this is a relevant detail). The last couple of days, however, the GPS didn't work: I could consult the map (it's an offline map and no internet connection was required) but the device didn't locate my position. What happened?!

2) Is this a free service? The OffMaps website claims it 'saves roaming charges' but I'm not sure what this means exactly. I don't think I was charged anything, at least not yet...

3) How does a GPS work exactly? I read something about using wireless connections in the area, is this correct? So it wouldn't work in the middle of the jungle, right? I have a SIM card but the internet connection was disabled and I was still able to use the GPS.

Thanks in advance!

jmbarker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume you have either a 3G or LTE (4G) iPad?
One of those is necessary for GPS because they have a GPS chip. I am not familiar with the app you used and asked about. Is it a full and complete version or a trial version? If the latter, the trial period may have expired. Maybe there are costs associated if used outside your home area? Berlin?!? Outstanding. My favorite city in the world. I have not been there since 1985 so I am sure it is very different, fall of the wall notwithstanding.

OP
F

FlavioSousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume you have either a 3G or LTE (4G) iPad?
One of those is necessary for GPS because they have a GPS chip. I am not familiar with the app you used and asked about. Is it a full and complete version or a trial version? If the latter, the trial period may have expired. Maybe there are costs associated if used outside your home area? Berlin?!? Outstanding. My favorite city in the world. I have not been there since 1985 so I am sure it is very different, fall of the wall notwithstanding.

Yes, I have the 4G version. I believe wi-fi only iPads do not come with GPS.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't used this app but I do use another app from which I have downloaded the maps I want. From continually closing my cover sometimes the location finder will turn off but there should be a tab that you can press which will then locate you again. My tab just has a circle with bars around it, I've seen others that are an arrow, does yours have a tab like this?

Sometimes apps can just behave a little strange and the best step is to close them completely then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, now see if it is operating. If not a restart or a reset may be needed.

restart - Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

You do not need an active Sim for GPS to work as the chip is built into the iPad and yes only 3G/4G will give true GPS capability. Roaming charges are the charges your carrier will charge you when using your sim in a different country. I use GPS all the time and no there are no associated charges at all for this as long as you have your maps already downloaded on your iPad.

I cant tell you how it all works but I've been to some quite remote areas with my iPad where my cellular data has had no coverage and my GPS has still worked.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions