What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather or Polyurethane Smart Cover?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the black leather for my business meetings. It's very nice and feels great in the hand. Whoever said that color comes off on the glass or aluminum of the iPad has some kind of agenda or is nuts. Apple's disclaimer only means the leather color will wear over time like a wallet or shoes. My black leather has been on since day one and trust me, no color has rubbed off on anything.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, Apples disclaimer says it can bleed, which means it can rub off on others.

Doesn't mean it will happen on all or even most of them. Just a cover their ass disclaimer as any kind of dyed leather has a risk of bleeding onto other things if the dye didn't get properly baked in to the leather etc.

I agree it's probably a non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it personally as it probably only happens if you get it wet or whatever.

I'd love a black cover, but ( edit) for a cover. $40 is already highway robbery IMO. I like the cover, but it's plastic and Welcome from Australia to the best ipad forum on the planet.some magnets. Typical "Apple tax."

Last edited by a moderator:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't mean it will happen on all or even most of them. Just a cover their ass disclaimer as any kind of dyed leather has a risk of bleeding onto other things if the dye didn't get properly baked in to the leather etc.

Still, I am surprised (for a company who is normally so careful about their product quality) that they would put a disclaimer on an expensive leather product.

I mean, if you went over to a website like shoebuy.com and looked at all their genuine leather items - shoes, valets, bags, etc - I don't think you'll find very many of their products coming with a "bleeding" warning. That's just epic product fail, for me.

1108845-godzilla_facepalm_godzilla_facepalm_face_palm_epic_fail_demotivational_poster_1245384435_super.jpg

Last edited:

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the black leather, and it's fine. The bleed issue is a non issue, I'm sure they use the same dying process as others. Apple just puts the caveat on theirs because they know many of their followers are beyond picky.

I can't complain about the cost when you are spending $830 for the iPad2. These accessories are in line cost wise with other premium products. Heck, I own a BMW motorcycle and they are quite "proud" of their accessories as well. That is why BMW stands for "bring more wallet".

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried both the leather and the poly smart covers.
IMO the leather is not worth the cost. The leather has better colors but the leather scratches easily while the poly does not scratch.
I returned my leather and kept the green poly.
It wasn't worth it to me to pay an extra 30 bucks just for the color

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Still, I am surprised (for a company who is normally so careful about their product quality) that they would put a disclaimer on an expensive leather product.

I mean, if you went over to a website like shoebuy.com and looked at all their genuine leather items - shoes, valets, bags, etc - I don't think you'll find very many of their products coming with a "bleeding" warning. That's just epic product fail, for me.

Actually it doesn't come with a "bleeding" disclaimer, it says some that because it's dyed leather some color "may rub off." Just like has happened over time with every leather item I've ever owned. The fact that other companies don't admit this upfront is no reflection on Apple.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't come with a "bleeding" disclaimer, it says some that because it's dyed leather some color "may rub off." Just like has happened over time with every leather item I've ever owned. The fact that other companies don't admit this upfront is no reflection on Apple.

I will have to disagree. I have been using and own many leather products for many years now, including messenger bags, belts, jackets, shoes, folio and journal covers and valets, and I have never had any problem with any of them in terms of the dye/pigment rubbing off nor have any of these products ever arrived with a warning or disclaimer about non-fast dye.

Some of the pigments on the leather items have darkened over time through usage and exposure to sunlight, but that is a natural feature of the pigment and not considered a defect. A well-made leather product does not have its colours rub off or bleed onto other surfaces, whether dry or wet, as the dye treatment can be baked fast into the hide to prevent exactly this. At the prices that leather manufacturers charge, a buyer should expect a certain level of quality.

Zmanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the Gray Poly here. Wasn't impressed with ANY of the other Poly colors (designer or whatever ya call 'em). The leather has a much better choice of colors, but I thought the $39 was pricey enough and didn't wanna drop the extra $30 for the leather.

Here's a tip: I bought my Smart Cover at Best Buy and you can return it there up to 30 days. (I THINK Apple store may be 14 days) I figured that would give me a better trial period. Walmart probably even gives you longer to return if you can find them there.

BUT, I ended up REALLY LIKING the Smart Cover a lot - so I'm definitely keeping it. Just need to purchase a case to put the iPad with the cover in when traveling.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bored2426 said:
I tried both the leather and the poly smart covers.
IMO the leather is not worth the cost. The leather has better colors but the leather scratches easily while the poly does not scratch.
I returned my leather and kept the green poly.
It wasn't worth it to me to pay an extra 30 bucks just for the color

Nice to hear from someone who has tried both. I, honestly, have been leaning towards the poly mainly because of the price difference.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All that was left when I got there was the gray cover so that's what I got. I wanted red leather.

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why couldn't they just make the leather colors available in poly?? wtf....
what if you just don't like leather/are a peta activist, or just don't want to pay $70+ for a damn COVER

OP
S

sanantoniotx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like the look of the leather and I the feel of the Poly just didn't feel right for me. Assuming the leather doesn't rub off onto my iPad (what a disaster that would be) it should work well? Am I allowed to return it to Apple even if I take it out of the package?

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the grey poly last week but decided I wasn't really happy with it. I returned it and got the black leather. It's much better, stiffer and overall looks great. I'd say the leather covers look much better on the black iPad while the white one look better with the lighter color poly covers.

Sent from my iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts