What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Smart Cover Review And Overview

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IS3JZu0tA[/ame]​

With the release of the iPad 2, Apple decided to go with their new tradition and add a little extra protection to our new tablets. Like they did with the iPhone 4 and the Bumpers, Apple released the Smart Covers to protect the from of your iPad 2. These are either made out of Polyurethane or Leather, but you're going to have to dish out a bit more cash for the leather. The outside of the cover is smooth and feels nice while the inside is like a microfiber cloth. With this you can clean your iPad 2 screen if you ever get any fingerprints on in, we know you will. The smart cover can act as a stand/dock, as well as a heel for your tablet while you're typing, pretty neat. You can pick one of these up in many colors starting at $39.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered a 'red' leather smart cover to go with my 'white' IPad 32gb wifi unit. I noticed that the 'red' leather smart covers went into the 2-3 week wait and then into the 3-4 week wait status on Apple.com before any of the other covers did.

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I predict that the Red and White combination is going to be popular here in Indonesia too (Indonesian Flag)

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like the Smart Covers, and am trying to decide between black, tan, or navy.

My wife wants pink.

Good thing they are interchangeable! :p

Tenkisan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the first gen iPad on release day and got the black Apple protector with it. I found a thin microfiber cloth that fit the screen size and just kept it under the folded lid. It was great for quick screen cleaning but I always had to keep tabs on it. When I bought the iPad 2 on release day I sprung for the dark blue leather smart cover and kept the original microfiber towel under the cover. The smart cover magnet was barely strong enough to stay closed with the cloth underneath.

The first time I tried to use the microfiber that came on the bottom side of the smart cover, the iPad 2 kept going to sleep and waking up as I tried to wipe the screen and it didn't do a very good job. I found folding the smart cover into a triangle and then wiping the screen to work a little better. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of the original microfiber towel just yet. I imagine after a while the smart cover microfiber would get dirty.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

smitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm noticing 3 faint horizontal stripes across the face of the display apparently from the hinge lines of the smart cover. They do seem to wipe off, but I wonder about the long term effects.

Anyone else seeing this?

Is a microfiber cloth the best way to clean the screen?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TexSis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fujigonewild006 said:
but...what protects the back if you use a smart cover?

I place iPad carefully on the screen when the cover is on. When I open the cover to use the iPad, the cover folds back to protect the back.

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not finding that the microfiber on the smart cover really cleans the screen...I am using a separate microfiber cloth. But I am lovin' the apple green cover! :)

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard on G4TV that they almost dropped their Ipad a few times because of the magnetic connection.

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm noticing 3 faint horizontal stripes across the face of the display apparently from the hinge lines of the smart cover. They do seem to wipe off, but I wonder about the long term effects.

Anyone else seeing this?

Is a microfiber cloth the best way to clean the screen?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I've noticed that too. I've been using a microfiber cloth as well to clean the screen and it's been working alright.

Most reactions

Latest posts