What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowing what you know NOW ~ would you still buy your ipad?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I would have gotten it earlier, knowing what I know now. While it isnt going to replace my PC or Laptop, it has wedged its way into "never leave home without it". And Splashtop? Best money I have spent on my iPad since GoodReader and DocsToGo. Just because, I ran WoW on my iPad through Splashtop to say I could. Not really playable, but you could do some things. Everyday I find new things to do with the iPad.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Splashtop works in 2 parts. You have the "server" installed on the PC/MAC you wish to control from the iPad (that part is free) and the client on the iPad is $1.99.

Install the server on the PCs you wish to control. Then, just as you would if using Remote Destop, you connect to them using the client on the iPad. I have mine set up to go through my Router, so I can get to my media pc and my laptop from where ever.

It isnt a new concept, and there are other remote desktop apps out there, including free ones. However, this one is the most responsive I have seen. When connected to my media server at home on my wireless, I can actually watch movies with no issues. Bring up IE/Firefox and do all the flash stuff I want. It is easily the most responsive I have tried.

socalpimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have still gotten it, however lack of flash, true office support, lack of native divx support have soured my opinion.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have still gotten it, however lack of flash, true office support, lack of native divx support have soured my opinion.

Vlc plays divx files, iWork imports and exports to appropriate office formats.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have gotten it earlier, knowing what I know now. While it isnt going to replace my PC or Laptop, it has wedged its way into "never leave home without it". And Splashtop? Best money I have spent on my iPad since GoodReader and DocsToGo. Just because, I ran WoW on my iPad through Splashtop to say I could. Not really playable, but you could do some things. Everyday I find new things to do with the iPad.

They need to add game controls, because they run really well, but you can't control them. I can run fallout new Vegas and dragon age at very high frame rates, but there is no way to control anything since they require keyboard input and the onscreen keyboard doesn't allow long holds or multiple keys, and the bt keyboard doesn't even respond in a game. I really hope they fix that! Also the bt keyboard doesn't support f keys or special keys which is really annoying.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Gentlefury - yes, I agree. It was fun to log in, but yeah, there needs to be support for either an external kb or (even better) mouse. Not holding my breath on the mouse, though.

Beyond all that, I have been using the heck out of it the last few days, mostly tweaking my itunes and getting a few maintenance issues taken care of. Works like a charm even over 3G (in my area, AT&T's 3G is not the best.) Again, the best $2 I have spent on my iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last studio I was at had a 12mbps connection so I was able to stream video really clearly remotely.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It isnt a new concept, and there are other remote desktop apps out there, including free ones. However, this one is the most responsive I have seen.

I haven't tried the others, but audio and video streaming capability seem to be what sets Splashtop apart. One of my biggest gripes was not being able to use my Amazon VOD files on the iPad and this cured that - it's made the iPad pretty much limitless, since I've got access to everything on my home system (I can even view the webcam) and access the external 2Tb drive I have connected to it. It's put my entire home system into an iPad-shaped package.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It isnt a new concept, and there are other remote desktop apps out there, including free ones. However, this one is the most responsive I have seen.

I haven't tried the others, but audio and video streaming capability seem to be what sets Splashtop apart. One of my biggest gripes was not being able to use my Amazon VOD files on the iPad and this cured that - it's made the iPad pretty much limitless, since I've got access to everything on my home system (I can even view the webcam) and access the external 2Tb drive I have connected to it. It's put my entire home system into an iPad-shaped package.

Yup, thats why I love it, it lets me put my 3TB 8-core 10GB ram system in my netbook case and take it anywhere i go ;)

teatime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been enjoying reading everyone's reasons for buying the iPad. My favorite ones are those who, like me, had no good reason. We just like it! I already have an iPod Touch and a Nook. Why did I need this? I LOVE gadgets.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that Jobs is an awesome marketer. When they first introduced the iPad at the keynote I was like....WTF?? Really?? A big iPod Touch.....why would anyone want that???

And pre-orders were to start in about a month.

Over that month I thought about it, and started really thinking about it.....and the more I thought the more I started realizing the potential this device could have. Then I started thinking of ways it could be used beyond its immediate intent....then I started thinking...wow, this really could be an amazing device!

Pre-order day came and I woke up early and considered it and decided not to do it.

I thought about it some more and the next day I ordered mine......I have been completely satisfied with that decision, it is by far the best device I have ever owned. Kudos Apple you made me happy! Now get with the MacPad and I'll shell out some more cash!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that Jobs is an awesome marketer. When they first introduced the iPad at the keynote I was like....WTF?? Really?? A big iPod Touch.....why would anyone want that???

And pre-orders were to start in about a month.

Over that month I thought about it, and started really thinking about it.....and the more I thought the more I started realizing the potential this device could have. Then I started thinking of ways it could be used beyond its immediate intent....then I started thinking...wow, this really could be an amazing device!

Pre-order day came and I woke up early and considered it and decided not to do it.

I thought about it some more and the next day I ordered mine......I have been completely satisfied with that decision, it is by far the best device I have ever owned. Kudos Apple you made me happy! Now get with the MacPad and I'll shell out some more cash!
Yup! So will I. Make it with the new MacBook Air innings.

sammy_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No second doubts. Glad I went with the 64gig. No need in the 3g with all the tethering available.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree. Had an iPod which I used in bed everyday to read the news in the mornings. As soon as I saw the keynote I knew I had to have one.

It's the best gadget I've bought for a very long time. Better than some of my cars which cost a damned sight more.

It's funny all those moans about flash and usb etc. which greeted it's appearance now seem very dated and irrelevant. I enjoy and use it everyday as much as I did when I first got it.
Though I did have to buy more to keep the family from trying to grab it when i wasn't looking....

Most reactions

Latest posts