What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowing what you know NOW ~ would you still buy your ipad?

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get the iphone facebook app or ipad social app n u can upload photos with ease. And it lets u choose which album to put it in and the caption. ;-). There are always workarounds.

That is kind of what is annoying, all the workarounds. As long as Apple continues to fix the areas in iOS that need workarounds (Lack of a file system, lack of full featured browser, more cloud integration) then I'm ok.

Thats my only problem with the ipad that it needs all these works arounds and all the restrictions apple/steve jobs puts on it, but with that said this is still probably my favorite piece of technology ive ever owned.

Instant internet and email has been very useful for me. I also highly enjoy a lot of the apps. There are a lot of really top music apps lile the korg ones and games like spiderman and nova which seem to be top quality. I actually find it a lot more enjoyable to get a really solid game for 5-7 bucks or even 2 dollars over a $60 game on the ps3, in addition to that you can easily play a quick level or game here and there without waiting to start up the system + i dont have time to sit around playing console games all the time. So the ipad has pretty much taken over my gaming.

Also videos are solid to watch on here and i just convert them from the house mac.

Another thing with music that is nice is that in one second i can turn the ipad on and use the multitrack daw recorder which is very useful for recording ideas or a track that isnt too loud, cause it easily gets distorted. Im not sure if it would be possible to get a full band recording that sounds smooth, but for my acoustic guitar it is perfect for ideas and it also lets me upload them to soundcloud, which makes it a useful tool in the modern age.

the lack of flash can occasionally be annoying but the only thing i really need flash for sometimes is to hear songs or videos, but cloudbrowse helps with that when i need to check out something.

Overall i really enjoy my ipad and i find myself on this thing a lot of the time when i am at home. So i would have to say i would definetely have bought it. I just hope the ipad 2 isn't such a big step up so that i can wait for the 3rd generation or i may have to sell it next year.

For right now though i am gonna enjoy the #### out of the ipad.

Last edited:

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I wouldn`t.

There isn`t anything an iPad can do that my MacBook Pro can`t.
There are many, many things my MacBook Pro can do that the iPad can`t.

However with that said not buying it would have been a mistake.

It would have been a mistake because I didn`t buy it for me, I bought it for my wife and considering she`s computer illiterate she loves it and it helps her immensely with her business.
It is basically just a huge smart phone (without the phone) so she was already familiar with the interface and it`s systems.
It would have been a very frustrating thing trying to teach her to do what she needs on a computer when she really doesn`t need much.

It`s almost perfect for her.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Touch Screen, Under 2 lbs, instant on, run iPhone apps, 14 HR battery life, Splashtop Remote....I'm sure there are many other things it can do that your MBP can't but I think you get the point.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...I bought it for my wife and considering she`s computer illiterate she loves it...
And she is exactly the type of person for whom the iPad was designed! If you want a "real" computer where you don't have to do an end run around the iOS to get all those features you can't live without, well Apple sells those too!

grampus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best thing since boiled lollies.
Bought 64G 3g + WiFi.
Wifi is great for around the home.
Have it sitting at the table, have a thought, I must look at something. I don't have to wander off into the spare room to the PC.
While I was away, I could get my internet fix every day, without having to find an internet cafe.
A small learning curve for most things, it all seems intuitive.
After years of keeping Mac products at arms length, I am now wondering what my next IT spend will be.

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Touch Screen, Under 2 lbs, instant on, run iPhone apps, 14 HR battery life, Splashtop Remote....I'm sure there are many other things it can do that your MBP can't but I think you get the point.

My MacBook is never off so instant on means nothing to me.

If you need 14 hours of battery life then you need an actual life. The MacBooks 10 hours are far more than I need.

Weight is meaningless for anything under 5 lbs as it`s not a problem (I have a gym membership)

iPhone apps have only a portion of the power of any comparable application my MaBook runs (Haven`t seen that full feature Photoshop app out yet)

Touchscreen is nifty but ultimately my standard keyboard is far more capable speed and capability wise.

I don`t even know what a "Splashtop Remote" is so I`m pretty sure it`s irrelevant to my needs.

Last edited:

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...I bought it for my wife and considering she`s computer illiterate she loves it...
And she is exactly the type of person for whom the iPad was designed! If you want a "real" computer where you don't have to do an end run around the iOS to get all those features you can't live without, well Apple sells those too!

Yes, precisely why I said it would have been a mistake not to buy it for her.

It is exactly what she needs and the frustrations it causes someone who needs a computer is totally incomprehensible to her as she simply can`t relate.

It`s a very cool machine for what it does and I do enjoy it for limited use..reading and gaming mostly.

Last edited:

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you need 14 hours of battery life then you need an actual life. The MacBooks 10 hours are far more than I need.

Weight is meaningless for anything under 5 lbs as it`s not a problem (I have a gym membership)

iPhone apps have only a portion of the power of any comparable application my MaBook runs (Haven`t seen that full feature Photoshop app out yet)

Touchscreen is nifty but ultimately my standard keyboard is far more capable speed and capability wise.

I don`t even know what a "Splashtop Remote" is so I`m pretty sure it`s irrelevant to my needs.

Whether an IPAD is a real alternative to a laptop is strictly up to the individual user. Personally, for my portable computing needs, it's a fine laptop alternative. Others will feel differently of course, depending on their own needs. I would never dream of using this as a primary computer, in fact I'm on the lookout for a decent desktop now, but I think the ipad serves as a great little 'brother' of sorts to a desktop. To the point that I think getting a laptop now would be somewhat redundant based on my own portable needs.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry but there are no MacBooks that get 10 hours battery life (and if it's never off as you claim you are plugged in all the time...therefore illustrating my point). The new MBA only gets about 8...and it is the most power efficient MB on the market! It's not about being able to use it for 14 hours straight, its about never having to search for a power outlet since it will easily last longer than any day you could ever use it for.

As for the weight...you have a gym membership....yes that really got the point. geez.

Try using your regular keyboard in a meeting while standing....good luck ;)

For you it seems the iPad is not a need.....but to say its basically useless is just diluted.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Whether an IPAD is a real alternative to a laptop is strictly up to the individual user. Personally, for my portable computing needs, it's a fine laptop alternative. Others will feel differently of course, depending on their own needs. I would never dream of using this as a primary computer, in fact I'm on the lookout for a decent desktop now, but I think the ipad serves as a great little 'brother' of sorts to a desktop. To the point that I think getting a laptop now would be somewhat redundant based on my own portable needs.

That is exactly what it is...a desktop companion! That's why I love Splashtop Remote...it lets me use my desktop anywhere I am on my iPad and its damn fast! It could never replace a desktop....tho I don't think a laptop could either!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't.

I do enjoy my iPad quite a bit, and use it every day. It gets used at work (taking notes, reading docs, etc.), at home (email, web browsing, netflix, ABC, magazines, iBooks, nook, and kindle books, and loads of video games).

What I don't like is not having the ability to hookup directly to a printer. Not being able to hook up directly to a computer to move around files outisde of iTunes. The limitted ram on the device. A wee bit more ram would have gone a long way in improving the quaity of games that could be ported/created for the iPad. Most of all I dislike not being able to increase my storage space with an SD card (without jailbreaking it).

Next year we'll have a lot of tablets to choose from. At this point I'm too heavily invested in my iPad to replace it, so at most I'll pick up one of thoe other devices for my wife.

Had I known what I know now, I would have waited for one of the other tablets.

None of that info was hidden in any way.

He never said it was. Did he?

Well the topic was...Knowing what you know now....meaning the post author didn't know these things prior to purchase.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That is exactly what it is...a desktop companion! That's why I love Splashtop Remote...it lets me use my desktop anywhere I am on my iPad and its damn fast! It could never replace a desktop....tho I don't think a laptop could either!

Thanks for the Splashtop tip, never heard of it. Will look into it :D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the Splashtop tip, never heard of it. Will look into it :D

I found out about it on here when someone suggested it. I use it everyday!

Most reactions

Latest posts