What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad thins I would like to know :)

Jeronimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I got some question you guys may have had over a 1000 times, but I want something clear about importing an iPad 2 and iPod Touch.

In the month May i am going to New York for vacation and i would like to buy the iPad2 and iPod Touch there because of the prices.
For example:

iPad 2
US price: 500 Dollars (375 euros)
European price: 500 Euros (705 us dollars)

iPod Touch (latest version)
us price: 300 dollars ( 205 us dollar)
European price: 300 euros (425 us dollars)

This is absolutely insane. Such high prices.

So now the point is, shall i buy it in NY and take it home.

I would like to know the following thins:

1) The power adapter in the US is different then in Europe, Can i buy a 'European adapter' so i can power it in Europe?

2) How is it about the software. Can i still update my iPad or iPod even when i am in Europe? Isn't it regio-bound? Like for example the PS3 who i can buy in the US but doesn't work in Europe.

3) Is it really that simple that i walk in the BestBuy store and buy an iPad 2 or do I have to pay other taxes? I heard about city-taxes or something?

4) I can import (take with me to the Netherlands) for around 850 euro's. Is it recommended to leave the packages of the iPod and iPad behind in NY? I also would like to buy some clothes and caps, but i don't take a lot of cloth with me to NY so i can buy the clothes there and wear them during my vacation, that wont be a problem to leave the tickets and cards of the clothes behind right?

5) Are there other imprtent things i forget at this moment?

Hope you guys can help me, and thank you very much! :D

Greetings

Jeroen Meertens

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I got some question you guys may have had over a 1000 times, but I want something clear about importing an iPad 2 and iPod Touch.

In the month May i am going to New York for vacation and i would like to buy the iPad2 and iPod Touch there because of the prices.
For example:

iPad 2
US price: 500 Dollars (375 euros)
European price: 500 Euros (705 us dollars)

iPod Touch (latest version)
us price: 300 dollars ( 205 us dollar)
European price: 300 euros (425 us dollars)

This is absolutely insane. Such high prices.

So now the point is, shall i buy it in NY and take it home.

I would like to know the following thins:

1) The power adapter in the US is different then in Europe, Can i buy a 'European adapter' so i can power it in Europe?

2) How is it about the software. Can i still update my iPad or iPod even when i am in Europe? Isn't it regio-bound? Like for example the PS3 who i can buy in the US but doesn't work in Europe.

3) Is it really that simple that i walk in the BestBuy store and buy an iPad 2 or do I have to pay other taxes? I heard about city-taxes or something?

4) I can import (take with me to the Netherlands) for around 850 euro's. Is it recommended to leave the packages of the iPod and iPad behind in NY? I also would like to buy some clothes and caps, but i don't take a lot of cloth with me to NY so i can buy the clothes there and wear them during my vacation, that wont be a problem to leave the tickets and cards of the clothes behind right?

5) Are there other imprtent things i forget at this moment?

Hope you guys can help me, and thank you very much! :D

Greetings

Jeroen Meertens

Please be aware that iPad Forum does not condone illegal activity nor permit the discussion of any illegal activity in the Forum. Regarding your point (4) - attempting to import into Europe goods purchased in the United States without paying VAT and Import Duty is illegal and constitutes smuggling. Please do not discuss this point further or the moderators will immediately close this thread. If you wish to purchase an iPad in the United States and return to Europe then you must enter through the 'Something to Declare' channel and pay all relevant taxes.

Tim
iPad Forum Moderator

Most reactions

Latest posts