What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got it!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
Don't have iPad mini :( but am reading the thread to see some opinions!
From the pictures it looks a bit plasticy and not quite as sleek as full size iPad. Also a bit of a turnoff is the screen is not retina... :(

To me it is way sleeker than the full size iPads.

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine today

I went from retina iPad 3 to the Samsung note 10.1 what a mistake !

Note 10.1 was returned for refund and I got the mini instead

Love it ! Only downside is the screen after using retina
What's weird most apps look fantastic so do the pics but the apps pages are where I notice the quality , pics look as sharp as the retina so do most apps

I'm happy with my purchase and will stick with this one till a retina mini is released

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me it is way sleeker than the full size iPads.

It is a bit thinner. And much lighter, naturally.

But it's a tad bit harder to pick up due to the more round edge. But if you're lucky enough to have long fingers such as myself, I can grasp the mini with one hand off a flat surface.

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine Friday. Black 32gig and I love it, fits perfectly in my hand and I have no issues with the thin bezel. Coming from an Ipad 1 I am happy with the screen, I have a Nexus 7 and although its a higher resolution the Ipad mini has better colour and contrast.

My one concern is I have a small area at the top in portrait sides in landscape that seems darker, it's not noticeable most of the time but it tends to show up on white backgrounds in landscape mode. Anyone else have this? It's not a deal breaker but if its unusual I'll get a replacement.

Overall very happy the extra size compared to 7" tablets is great just looks and feels better, all my apps work great and it's great to have them back after my Ipad 1 was stolen last week, now to get the new Ipad.

Also are we likely to get a full case as I would prefer that to the cover.

Forest007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to Best Buy and picked up a 16gb black with no problem. I made it to the store about 15 minutes after they opened. There were about 6 people some already checking out. Some of them were purchasing the 4th generation Ipad. I was in and out in about 15-20 minutes. I compared the screens on my Ipad 3 and Ipad mini side by side. I can hardly tell the difference. I love the size of the Ipad Mini. I will be selling the ipad 3. I left Best Buy and went to the Apple store. They were sold out of Ipad Minis when I got there. I purchased my Applecare+ and a smart cover. The new smart covers for the Mini are much nicer than the older versions that I've tried in the past. All I need now is something thin to cover the back... "looking at my new mini with a big smile on my face"

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 16gb Mini's were gone quick and everyone wanted white ones. There were a few 64gb left but the price was keeping them from selling IMHO. I guess if someone thinks they are really worth $329US then it's a go..myself I just don't see it there are many new tablets at much lower prices that have a lot more to offer. I will wait to see the iPad4 but still don't think I will want to pay what Apple is demanding.

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Review after playing with Mini over the weekend. It's perfect! Just what I was waiting for. Bought a touch cover for it but opted out for a Verona like case. Bought it from a Street cart peddler in a mall. More bulkly but way more protection and because the Mini is so small I don't notice it at all. Like carrying a small thin book. I also bought a screen potector but ripped it off. It was smudging my fingerprints worst that the native screen. I wait for the smudge proof version.
One of the things that I really love is that I can keep the Mini on my table at a restaurant because the footprint is so small. With my ipad I in case was so big that I always had to tuck it behind me or on an empty seat (always worrying that I might get up and leave without it). The screen's resolution doesn't bother me at all (Remember I'm coming from an iPad I) the screen seems much more responsive so expanding what I want to read is a snap. I had the 64mb + 3G iPad and so I was concerned on getting a 32mb Wi-Fi only and using my iphone as a hotspot. I'm able to connect the Mini via bluetooth and it works great!

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I find weird is the apps page and text on Internet etc is poor but apps, films and picturs are fantastic .

I came from retina iPad so can tell difference what I'm thankful for is the video pics and apps look as good

Watched he film today it was awesome

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been watching movies on my Mini and I actually prefer viewing on the mini than my old iPad. I'm a bit of a night owl. I was used to viewing old movies and TV shows while laying down in bed and having the iPad propped up on my belly. I use ear plugs and dim the screen so as not to disturb my wife. With the Mini I can keep the screen the same and set it closer. It's makes for a more individualize viewing situation.

gizmobaba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This device is a disaster without retina display...have iPad 3 and ready magazines books surfing watching videos for a year on retina display and suddenly going back to ancient times it feels like...problem is that now the iPad weight feels bad and mini sucks on screen quality...people who have been using retina displays must just avoid buying this one...I left watching a video on mini and went back to Samsung note2 and was so much of fun ...also my fingers or for that matter anything and everything leaves a trace on screen.what a foolish mistake of coming up with great hardware with and ancient screen...I feel it's apples biggest blunder post removing maps of google

iandrew74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine Friday. Black 32gig and I love it, fits perfectly in my hand and I have no issues with the thin bezel. Coming from an Ipad 1 I am happy with the screen, I have a Nexus 7 and although its a higher resolution the Ipad mini has better colour and contrast.

My one concern is I have a small area at the top in portrait sides in landscape that seems darker, it's not noticeable most of the time but it tends to show up on white backgrounds in landscape mode. Anyone else have this? It's not a deal breaker but if its unusual I'll get a replacement.

Overall very happy the extra size compared to 7" tablets is great just looks and feels better, all my apps work great and it's great to have them back after my Ipad 1 was stolen last week, now to get the new Ipad.

Also are we likely to get a full case as I would prefer that to the cover.

I asked the question re the smart case in the apple shop in Covent garden this week and they advised apple has'nt decided if they are making one for the ipad mini, hope they do as like you want a full case not just the cover.

iandrew74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are my views having had the mini for a week now,

First impressions when unboxing were wow what a nice looking tablet, I always get exciting when unboxing new kit and the mini didn't disappoint.
Build quality is second to non, despite the thin bezel it feels very sturdy and quite able to cope with the odd knock and regular use. I have long fingers and it fits perfectly in my hands both in portrait and landscape mode and holding it with one hand in either mode feels natural due to its low weight which feels very balanced.

Having played with various ipads and other manufacturers tablets the screen felt nice to the touch although it seemed more springy than my iphone 4s, I personally think the screen is fantastic but then again I have not come from a retina display so have not been spoiled in that respect. I will say that the screen is a finger print magnet but that could be because I just cant put it down!

Apps look great on the mini and I have not had any problems installing,removing or using them, they all look crisp seem to fit on the smaller screen naturally.

Viewing photos is also excellent again they look sharp and the colours look natural.

The mini is great for watching movies, I have just watched Prometheus in full and was very impressed with the screen and how it handled the fast action and dark sequences, as it is a long movie I also had no issue with holding the mini for a long period. Sound on the mini seems crisp and clear even when turned up, this seems to be the case for both music and movies and it impressed me a great deal.

I am now turning to the mini for tasks that I would have done on my iphone previosuely, and the great thing about the mini is its portability, I am know looking for a decent case to look after my prized possession and hope apple will make the smart case for the mini.

As someone who waited a long time to get my first tablet I cant fault my first ipad, although the price did seem a little steep when compared to other small tablets for me its definitely been value for money, I will be looking closely at the 32gb nexus 7 and hope to be able to have a play with them both side by side.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gizmobaba said:
This device is a disaster without retina display...have iPad 3 and ready magazines books surfing watching videos for a year on retina display and suddenly going back to ancient times it feels like...problem is that now the iPad weight feels bad and mini sucks on screen quality...people who have been using retina displays must just avoid buying this one...I left watching a video on mini and went back to Samsung note2 and was so much of fun ...also my fingers or for that matter anything and everything leaves a trace on screen.what a foolish mistake of coming up with great hardware with and ancient screen...I feel it's apples biggest blunder post removing maps of google

I have an iPad 3 that I use everyday. I am a huge fan of the retina display, too. But, the more I use my mini, the more I like it. I'm getting use to the screen, too, though I have to admit that I wish it had a retina display. How, that is not feasible for apple to deliver now. In the meantime. The weight and size of the mini are outweighing the benefit of the retina display for a lot of what I do. I still use my iPad 3 everyday and now I'm using my mini everyday.

I agree on maps. It could have been handled better.

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score

...***Edited*** Its really not that bad. Reg ipad is way too big and heavy, if you dont mind lugging around a brick.

Moderator notice...please respect our forum rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts