What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini problem :(

Billkulis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a problem With my ipad mini. It randomly shuts down in a weird way. The screen freezes for a second then goes black slowly, like the screen color fades away and then completely shuts down. Then, it restarts itself. Then today it shot out codes all starting with [NAND]. Any ideas with what is wrong? I already factory reset it using the ipad itself but would plugging it into a desktop and putting it into recovery mode help at all? It happens intermittently, since I'm typing this question on the ipad itself and before i couldn't even unlock it without it shutting itself down lol. The ipad is not jail broken and is currently running on 6.1.2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've already done the restore, then I'd contact Apple. Sounds like an intermittent hardware problem, probably RAM. Your iPad Mini should still be covered by Apple's limited hardware warrantee.

OP
B

Billkulis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've already done the restore, then I'd contact Apple. Sounds like an intermittent hardware problem, probably RAM. Your iPad Mini should still be covered by Apple's limited hardware warrantee.

Since my grandfather gave it to me as a present and he bought it online from apple will I be able to go to any apple store location and will they cover it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Apple Store will have records of the purchase. You don't even need a receipt. Call ahead and set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. Before you go, do a backup, because they will likely exchange it on the spot, and you will lose any data. When you have your new one, you can set it up from the backup of the old one.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Because you're getting a NAND code on the screen it sounds like a flash issue. Like twerppoet and Kevin said, that's hardware which is covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

One question - has the device been dropped, knocked or shocked, that you're aware of?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
B

Billkulis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple Store will have records of the purchase. You don't even need a receipt. Call ahead and set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. Before you go, do a backup, because they will likely exchange it on the spot, and you will lose any data. When you have your new one, you can set it up from the backup of the old one.

I backed It up this morning using iCloud and I have an appointment at 2:20 today, :)

OP
B

Billkulis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because you're getting a NAND code on the screen it sounds like a flash issue. Like twerppoet and Kevin said, that's hardware which is covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

One question - has the device been dropped, knocked or shocked, that you're aware of?

AA

It was dropped in January about 5 inches from tile, it landed on its top right corner. The only damage was some finish chipped off and there is a very tiny dent, but I don't think that would be the cause of the issue., do you agree?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
It was dropped in January about 5 inches from tile, it landed on its top right corner. The only damage was some finish chipped off and there is a very tiny dent, but I don't think that would be the cause of the issue., do you agree?

Anything is possible. A corner shot, even 5 inches, can produce quite a shock to the chassis. Often the screen will crack or splinter. You're lucky that way. Internally some components are delicate and can crack or, come loose.

Tell the Genius up front as they'll note the finish damage and dent. If there's internal damage as opposed to a part defect, you may be required to pay a repair charge if it's deemed as a result of dropping the mini.

Sorry to say but you should know this going in.

Good luck and we hope it works out to your satisfaction.

AA

Last edited:
OP
B

Billkulis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*update* I received a new iPad mini with no problem, :)

Most reactions