What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got it!

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received my iPad mini! Got it resorting everything from the iCloud.
Initial impressions:
It's soooo light
Screen looks fine. Very sharp
Touch screen initially seemed to give a little when I tap it. I didn't like the feel since it felt it would give if I pressed too hard. Getting used to it. Seems to be very responsive to my taps. Typing in portrait mode is nice since I can thumb type.

Typing in

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed the screen too. To me, the screen feels "cheap". Doesn't really feel like glass either. It's smooth..but touchy touchy feel too pressed.

Other than that, I love it. Can't wait to try it tonight in bed as I read the news before I snooze away :)

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More first impressions. I like it. I was worried that the screen may be too small since I've had bad experiences with 7 inch screens before. The screen is very readable for searching the web. It's very easy to hold in one hand and tap with the other. It feels very comfortable

ghstbstr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still waiting for FedEx to deliver my iPad mini 16gb black.
I hope I get it soon, or atleast before I have to go to work today.

canmorechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an iPad 2 for a year or so...or two...? And I just got my Mini. Initial impressions:

- it's wee...my big fisted dude won't want to touch it...feels like it weighs the same as my 3GS
- it's almost too small...if choosing between an ipad and mini, ipad most definitely...I was reading on my Kindle app and tried to reposition the mini and ended up turning pages and dislodging the Smart Cover and such...no 'border' to grab...know what I mean? There's no way to grab it with one hand cuz it's all screen
- despite the fact that it's 'too small' I can't hold it in one hand and use it...no way...so if you are small-handed and picturing yourself thumb typing as you walk with one free hand, it likely ain't gonna happen
- the screen feels and looks the same as my ipad...I don't notice any difference when typing...even tho' the keyboard is smaller, it feels the same to me

I realize this 'review' isn't going to be much help. :?

To sum it up: as a second device, so the dude and I can each have something to play or read or surf or whatev, it will be perfect. As a stand-alone device, a larger ipad, any ipad, would win, hands down.

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried playing some music and find that the speakers are very good and the volume is considerably louder than my iPad I

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm listening to Spotify right now and I agree....the speaker (not plural on purpose) is a good bit louder and it does sound very good.

Text is very fuzzy, though. Moreso if you hold it in portrait rather than landscape mode.

I've got big dude hands and it is a bit hard to hold it in one hand, compared to my nexus. But it tend to want to hold it in landscape mode, as I do all my tablets. If you hold it length wise you can grip it on either side. Well, you have to watch out for the home button.

Man, this speaker is really putting out the volume and it sounds good. Didn't I say that already.

Typing is easier on this device than on the regular iPad.

Last edited:

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm listening to Spotify right now and I agree....the speaker (not plural on purpose) is a good bit louder and it does sound very good.

Text is very fuzzy, though. Moreso if you hold it in portrait rather than landscape mode.

I've got big dude hands and it is a bit hard to hold it in one hand, compared to my nexus. But it tend to want to hold it in landscape mode, as I do all my tablets. If you hold it length wise you can grip it on either side. Well, you have to watch out for the home button.

Man, this speaker is really putting out the volume and it sounds good. Didn't I say that already.

Typing is easier on this device than on the regular iPad.

Well, I thought that it was verified that the speakers were stereo? (I haven't opened mine yet)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I thought that it was verified that the speakers were stereo? (I haven't opened mine yet)

There are two speakers on either side of the lightning connector. They are too close to give a stereo effect...but they do produce a lot of sound.

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see where Steve Jobs felt the optimum size was the current iPad. In order to love the mini you have to place a high priority for compactness. I for one have been waiting for the mini for a long time, proof being my resistance to upgrade from my iPad I. I really don't have much of a problem with the screen. The screen is very responsive and it's quite easy to pinch and expand to tap. I do feel it was important for Apple to respond for this market niche or they would have lost it to Android.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't have iPad mini :( but am reading the thread to see some opinions!
From the pictures it looks a bit plasticy and not quite as sleek as full size iPad. Also a bit of a turnoff is the screen is not retina... :(

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is one awesome piece of hardware created again by Apple not only super light but easy to hold Perfect and that is just the out side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is one awesome piece of hardware created again by Apple not only super light but easy to hold Perfect and that is just the out side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely awesome! If you were thinking of getting one and do have the moolah, go get yourself some awesomeness!

barney-awesome.jpg

Most reactions