What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just finished reading my first book...

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just finished reading my first book on the iPad and I am happy to report eye strain is not an issue (at least for me). I didn't think it would be a problem considering how much time I spend staring at an LCD screens. I wonder how many people it will actually be a problem for.

Overall the iBook app works great. It feels really natural to use. The only complaint I have is that the app becomes less responsive the more bookmarks you make. I was using the bookmark feature to highlight small portions of the book. I would guess I had around 25 bookmarks total and the app slowed down noticeably. In fact, I reset my iPad thinking something was wrong with the whole unit.

How do like the iBook app? Eyestrain a problem for you?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just finished reading my first book on the iPad and I am happy to report eye strain is not an issue (at least for me). I didn't think it would be a problem considering how much time I spend staring at an LCD screens. I wonder how many people it will actually be a problem for.

Overall the iBook app works great. It feels really natural to use. The only complaint I have is that the app becomes less responsive the more bookmarks you make. I was using the bookmark feature to highlight small portions of the book. I would guess I had around 25 bookmarks total and the app slowed down noticeably. In fact, I reset my iPad thinking something was wrong with the whole unit.

Thanks for the warning about the bookmark bug.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The kindle app doesn't. I use highlight and notes extensively in some books. Especially those that don't have a table of contents ( I use highlight to create my own in those cases) and I've never had a change in response time. I wish the kindle app would get the 2 page landscape mode that ibooks has though. Both apps could be improved by a few of the others features. I've been using the kindle app extensively since it was released last year on iphone and now on ipad.

I like the ibook app, but I wish it had real notes and highlights. Love the pages instead of location numbers, and that when you use the scroll bar it pops up the titles of the book sections. It's major drawback is a severe lack of content in the ibookstore at this time and no iphone syncing until 4.0 I love that I can read my own epubs with it though.

OP
wot_fan

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you read your own epubs?
If you have DRM free epub books, you can add them to your iTunes library. Just go to the file pulldown and select add to library then select you book.

Do you write your own epubs and if so what editor do you use?
Yes I created the epub books I am reading. I used sigil to create the books. It is a free open source app.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had the eyestrain issue, but I think its my eyes rather than the IPad's fault, I just need to take some time and adjust the distance to my eyes, and the font size to find a balance, not something I can do with a printed book.

It will never replace my books, as I have a large library, (not that I have read them all, I just always wanted a library in the house:)) and my favorite books I have read multiple times and love the feel of the book itself.

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
The app is definitely well-done, very nice look and feel and nice touches that make it "seem" like a real book (shadows in the center of the 2-page view, the look of a dust jacket on the background, etc.). The dictionary, navigation, and page turns were all easy and intuitive. I'm still not sure I could read on it for a long period of time, I haven't had a chance to read more than in short stints on it. My wife has read more on it, and she says she prefers our Kindle for long reading sessions, but she did read in the dark on the iPad last night and said it was fine.

I have more thoughts on it on my blog.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had the eyestrain issue, but I think its my eyes rather than the IPad's fault, I just need to take some time and adjust the distance to my eyes, and the font size to find a balance, not something I can do with a printed book.

It will never replace my books, as I have a large library, (not that I have read them all, I just always wanted a library in the house:)) and my favorite books I have read multiple times and love the feel of the book itself
Thank you!

I build libraries for a living! (and other stuff):D :laugh:

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It will never replace my books, as I have a large library, (not that I have read them all, I just always wanted a library in the house:)) and my favorite books I have read multiple times and love the feel of the book itself
Thank you!

I build libraries for a living! (and other stuff):D :laugh:
ivan, i would like to see some of what you have done. I am a woodworker, but most of my things are small fairly detailed projects.

My library consist's of books and cobbled together shelves, not a nice library like I plan on building some day.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure if this will show up properly. It is supposed to be a picture of a guillotine I finished recently.

LDWX.jpg

sobakasu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, I have a question to whoever finish reading book with iPad.
im curious how long did you take to finish reading a book and if you think you don't need to buy a paper book to read because of iBook.

Most reactions