What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble w/ iBooks

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just downloaded Steve Jobs' new biography this morning. As matter of fact I per-ordered the book late last week. I started reading the book and quickly found out that the bookmark function on iBooks has malfunctioned. Does anyone have this problem. And yes, I have iOS 5. I've also shut down my iPad and rebooted it, deleted the iBooks app and reinstalled it, and cleared all the programs running in the background. All to no avail. Any thoughts.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please describe the error you are having with the bookmark function in iBooks?

I ask because I have that book, loaded in iBooks and I have no trouble making a bookmark, accessing a bookmark or deleting a bookmark. It's on the iPhone - but the iPhone is running iOS 5.

So, if we know exactly how bookmarks is not working for you, maybe we can figure it out...

Marilyn

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Can you please describe the error you are having with the bookmark function in iBooks?

I ask because I have that book, loaded in iBooks and I have no trouble making a bookmark, accessing a bookmark or deleting a bookmark. It's on the iPhone - but the iPhone is running iOS 5.

So, if we know exactly how bookmarks is not working for you, maybe we can figure it out...

Marilyn

Sure thing. It sounds like you iBooks is working just fine. But unlike you, I can't access a bookmark at all, much less delete one. In addition, please look at the attached photo.

I went to the app store to contact Apple Support. I logged in and the picture that you see is what came up. As you can see, it has the word "To" and the one little line to write your email, and then send it.

Attachments

• image-593378604.png
    image-593378604.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 520

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Well, very weird and I'm sorry that you're having troubles (and that Apple's site is, well, not so user-friendly).

Hopefully, someone will be along to tell of how they noticed the problem ... and how that fixed it (<--- which is the important part, right?).

Sorry I couldn't help.

Marilyn

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded Steve Jobs' new biography this morning. As matter of fact I per-ordered the book late last week. I started reading the book and quickly found out that the bookmark function on iBooks has malfunctioned. Does anyone have this problem. And yes, I have iOS 5. I've also shut down my iPad and rebooted it, deleted the iBooks app and reinstalled it, and cleared all the programs running in the background. All to no avail. Any thoughts.
Do you have the full/paid version or the sample? (Sounds like you have the full version.) I've noted that some features don't work in the sample versions of iBooks. Just wondering.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Do you have the full/paid version or the sample? (Sounds like you have the full version.) I've noted that some features don't work in the sample versions of iBooks. Just wondering.

I pre-ordered the full version of this book late last week.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the full version of this book late last week.
That's what I thought. Hmmm... If you have other iBooks are they all behaving normally, bookmarks working, etc.? If so have you tried deleting your new book and downloading it again? More here:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is to restart and/or reset your iPad.
  • Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
  • Reset the iPad: if restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
That's what I thought. Hmmm... If you have other iBooks are they all behaving normally, bookmarks working, etc.? If so have you tried deleting your new book and downloading it again? More here:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is to restart and/or reset your iPad.

[*]Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
[*]Reset the iPad: if restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

I did all of that and it's still not working properly. I went into the app store, and tapped on their Support. I should be getting a response from Apple in 24 hrs. Also, I think I'll call my local Apple Store and see what they have to say about it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did all of that and it's still not working properly. I went into the app store, and tapped on their Support. I should be getting a response from Apple in 24 hrs. Also, I think I'll call my local Apple Store and see what they have to say about it.
Okay...let us know if you will...it may help others that follow. TIA!

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Okay...let us know if you will...it may help others that follow. TIA!

Here's an update. I deleted the Jobs' bio from iBooks and tested some of the other books in my collection. Now that the Jobs' book has been deleted, the other books in the app seem to be working fine. I'm still waiting for Apple's tech support to get back to me.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's an update. I deleted the Jobs' bio from iBooks and tested some of the other books in my collection. Now that the Jobs' book has been deleted, the other books in the app seem to be working fine. I'm still waiting for Apple's tech support to get back to me.
Thanks for the update! That's really interesting. Did you try deleting and downloading it again or did you just delete it? TIA for keeping us in the loop.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Thanks for the update! That's really interesting. Did you try deleting and downloading it again or did you just delete it? TIA for keeping us in the loop.

You'll all be interested to know that I got an email from Apple's support. They said that they're going to credit my account for the price of the Jobs' bio and notify Engineering of this "content" problem. They also said that I'll be getting my credit in five to seven days. I've already purchased another copy through my Nook app.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll all be interested to know that I got an email from Apple's support. They said that they're going to credit my account for the price of the Jobs' bio and notify Engineering of this "content" problem. They also said that I'll be getting my credit in five to seven days. I've already purchased another copy through my Nook app.
Excellent! I've gotten a couple of credits from Apple and they've always come through...usually earlier than they said they would. Under promise and over deliver could take the place of their unofficial "It just works" motto. :)

I wonder why it's working on our iPads but not yours? Strange...but glad you've gotten it sorted.

Enjoy the book...I'm sure you will.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just saw an article on AppAdvice.com. It says Apple is sending letter to people who bought the biography. They've supposedly fixed the formatting errors that were causing problems. The recommendation is to delete the book, sign out and back into the iBook Store, then go to your Purchases section and download it again.

Apple Tells Customers: Delete The Steve Jobs Biography iBook And Download It Again -- AppAdvice
Sweet! Thanks for that. :thumbs:

I still wonder why some "early editions" worked while others didn't. Glad they took care of it right away though.

Thanks again!

Most reactions