What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I update to 4.2 and then re-jailbreak?

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my dilema... I did the jailbreak with 3.2 on my iPad. I didn't upgrade to 4.2 because, seriously... what was the point? I have a better backgrounder and all the functionality of 4.2 without the upgrade, so who cares? Well, now that more and more apps are coming out which require 4.2 in order to install, I'm looking to go that route.

My problem is that I'm worried if I upgrade at this point it will go to 4.3 and I won't be able to do an untethered jailbreak.

Is it possible to upgrade just to 4.2 and then do the jailbreak again from there? I know I could downgrade, but I don't want to wipe everything out on the iPad right now. It is silly, but I've got a couple games I'm playing that I really don't want to have to start over on, so wiping everything out isn't something I want to do.

So what are my options? Tiny Umbrella?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
4.3 is not released yet, so if you upgrade now it will be 4.2.1 only.
You should make sure that your SHSH blobs are being saved through Cydia. If for some reason you skipped the "make my life easier" question when you jailbroke 3.2 you should certainly download tinyumbrella now and save your 4.2.1 blobs. That way you will always be able to downgrade to an untethered jailbreakable OS (4.2.1) if for any reason you upgrade to 4.3 or beyond in the future. Using tinyumbrella for the first time will also kick start Cydia to start saving your blobs (if not already done).

Also, I know you said you want to upgrade so that you won't wipe everything and start again. This should work, however it can be problematic upgrading between major OS releases (i.e. 3.x to 4.x). Sometimes OS and App settings are not compatible, and also there is no guarantee all your Cydia apps and tweaks will work. One of the most common symptoms of the upgrade is very poor network performance, so if you feel the iPad is not performing well after the upgrade I strongly advise a full restore to stock 4.2.1 and then re-sync from iTunes. You can also use something like pkgbackup in Cydia to help restore all your Cydia applications in one fell swoop.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
O

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is very helpful. It is really just my silly CityStory game I don't want to lose, but I believe they even let you restore that game if you switch to a new i device, so I really shouldn't be worried. As for all my jailbreak apps, I'm ok reinstalling those. I've got too many things I've put on this thing that I don't use right now anyway, so hunting them down again and rearranging the springboard will actually be fun. :)

I really do appreciate the help. I did click the make my life easier button, but I'm not sure what that really did for me. Basically all I need to do is sync with iTunes and accept the update, right? After that I can jailbreak it again and start putting stuff back on the device which may get lost in the update? If that is the process then that sounds good to me. Sounds like a fun weekend for me. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts