What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joy back cover - a real joy!

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
When a something is thin it makes a great deal of difference what it's made out of.

Get a 100 $ otter box defender series, do not be cheap just buy it

Had an Otterbox for my ipad 1. That was a nightmare experience.

No way would go for it for ipad 2 unless they have made changes to it.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a pre-order for the Smartfit2, but cancelled when I saw the additional pictures that showed both the top and bottom of the case cut-out exposing those portions of the iPad. Even though I hate the cut-out of the speaker and dock on the XGear Enhancer, IMO, the XGear has a better cut-out/protection.

I have a thread in the accessories forum that has a list of different Smart Cover compatible options if you anyone is interested.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/26262-smart-cover-compatible-cases-list.html

I looked closely at the XGear cover - why are there creases in the corners? Is the material soft?

Edited to add that I ordered the Smartfit2 from Amazon: $31.99 total, with free shipping, because it looks like it offers good protection for the back without sacrificing the elegance of the iPad 2 design.

Last edited:

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Looks like they did but can't be sure until someone posts a hands on vid.. did you have the defender or the commuter? I can def see it being a nightmare if you need to take the iPad out of the case a lot but other than that it seems pretty solid.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Looks like they did but can't be sure until someone posts a hands on vid.. did you have the defender or the commuter? I can def see it being a nightmare if you need to take the iPad out of the case a lot but other than that it seems pretty solid.

I had the Defender.

When I was ready to take it off I had to literally break it off. There went my 100 bucks.
Then there was the situation with charging. I had to remove a little panel at the bottom. After awhile that panel got so loose I had to continuously keep checking that it was firmly pushed in.

The third problem was when I was using a VGA connection at work. I had to remove the panel every time for that. That was annoying.

On a lesser note, it was so darn heavy but I could have lived with that.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this with the ipad 2 docking station? does this have to be taken off to dock?

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jd78 said:
Even though I hate the cut-out of the speaker and dock on the XGear Enhancer, IMO, the XGear has a better cut-out/protection.
I'm liking the clear XGear Enhancer a lot. :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a pre-order for the Smartfit2, but cancelled when I saw the additional pictures that showed both the top and bottom of the case cut-out exposing those portions of the iPad. Even though I hate the cut-out of the speaker and dock on the XGear Enhancer, IMO, the XGear has a better cut-out/protection.

I have a thread in the accessories forum that has a list of different Smart Cover compatible options if you anyone is interested.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/26262-smart-cover-compatible-cases-list.html

I looked closely at the XGear cover - why are there creases in the corners? Is the material soft?

Edited to add that I ordered the Smartfit2 from Amazon: $31.99 total, with free shipping, because it looks like it offers good protection for the back without sacrificing the elegance of the iPad 2 design.

No, it's a polycarbonate hard shell similar to the SmartFit2. I don't know why they have the crease/cut in the corner, but I imagine it helps with the overall cut allowing them to provide more coverage than the Joy Factory. If you go to XGear's site they have youtube videos where they show how well the case stays on.

I'm not saying the Joy Factory is a bad case, but the XGear does the same thing, but with more coverage. It's only going to get worse from here with more options becoming available.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The creases or cuts in the XGear cover corners allow it to snap on to the back of the iPad without stressing itself.

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The creases or cuts in the XGear cover corners allow it to snap on to the back of the iPad without stressing itself.

Thanks for the info. I was only speculating since I haven't tried the case yet.

I'm not saying the Joy Factory is a bad case, but the XGear does the same thing, but with more coverage. It's only going to get worse from here with more options becoming available.

Not long after I posted this did I discover Enki updating their facebook page with a full back pic of the Genius case. They have managed to do what XGear, and Joy Factory failed to do... Provide full protection, top to bottom. This might be a very promising case, and we should find out in a little over a week from now.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jd78 said:
Not long after I posted this did I discover Enki updating their facebook page with a full back pic of the Genius case. They have managed to do what XGear, and Joy Factory failed to do... Provide full protection, top to bottom.
Can't speak for the Joy case, but the XGear model does offer full protection. But it does have cut-outs for the smart cover, speaker, port and buttons.

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No, it's a polycarbonate hard shell similar to the SmartFit2. I don't know why they have the crease/cut in the corner, but I imagine it helps with the overall cut allowing them to provide more coverage than the Joy Factory. If you go to XGear's site they have youtube videos where they show how well the case stays on.

I almost went for the xgear clear cover, but I was disappointed in 2 key areas. The corners of the iPad are the areas most likely to get dinged, and I didn't like the lack of corner rigidy (the slits) on the xgear case.

Also, the xgear demo video shows how easily the case comes off in your hands. Watch as the guy tries to pick the iPad up to turn it over, and the top left corner of the case pops right off. It actually looked like it was hard to grab the case without it coming off...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I almost went for the xgear clear cover, but I was disappointed in 2 key areas. The corners of the iPad are the areas most likely to get dinged, and I didn't like the lack of corner rigidy (the slits) on the xgear case.

Also, the xgear demo video shows how easily the case comes off in your hands. Watch as the guy tries to pick the iPad up to turn it over, and the top left corner of the case pops right off. It actually looked like it was hard to grab the case without it coming off...

Not sure which video you watched, but it sounds like the very first one which featured a prototype. A few of us at Macrumors made fun of that video because not only did it look like it was popping off, but that they had to hold the iPad in the case. Whatever it was, they appeared to fix it, new videos showed a plunger attached to the case shaking it and the iPad stayed in just fine, and people that have since bought the case have not reported any problems with it, at least in the forums I frequent.

jd78 said:
Not long after I posted this did I discover Enki updating their facebook page with a full back pic of the Genius case. They have managed to do what XGear, and Joy Factory failed to do... Provide full protection, top to bottom.
Can't speak for the Joy case, but the XGear model does offer full protection. But it does have cut-outs for the smart cover, speaker, port and buttons.

The lack of full coverage (on the XGear) that I was referring to was the funky cut-out for the speaker and port area. This leaves the area between the speaker and port exposed.

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not sure which video you watched, but it sounds like the very first one which featured a prototype. A few of us at Macrumors made fun of that video because not only did it look like it was popping off, but that they had to hold the iPad in the case. Whatever it was, they appeared to fix it, new videos showed a plunger attached to the case shaking it and the iPad stayed in just fine, and people that have since bought the case have not reported any problems with it, at least in the forums I frequent.

jd78 said:

The lack of full coverage (on the XGear) that I was referring to was the funky cut-out for the speaker and port area. This leaves the area between the speaker and port exposed.

The video is the company's own demo video. They offered up the plunger video after that. Lifting the iPad from the center of the back (which indeed requires a plunger) pulls the back up and compresses the corners tightly. I'm more concerned about lifting the iPad by the edges or corners which is where the demo shows the weakness.

It's hard for any of us to know if demo products are prototypes or not. But I can confirm that the Joy cover can be lifted securely from any corner and the case stays tight.

I'm still surprised that xgear left the corners of the case without a rigid support. But both covers protect the back from being damaged by supporting surfaces like gritty tabletops, etc.

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The video is the company's own demo video. They offered up the plunger video after that. Lifting the iPad from the center of the back (which indeed requires a plunger) pulls the back up and compresses the corners tightly. I'm more concerned about lifting the iPad by the edges or corners which is where the demo shows the weakness.

It's hard for any of us to know if demo products are prototypes or not. But I can confirm that the Joy cover can be lifted securely from any corner and the case stays tight.

I'm still surprised that xgear left the corners of the case without a rigid support. But both covers protect the back from being damaged by supporting surfaces like gritty tabletops, etc.

I don't have the XGear, but others that I know that have it, have reported no issue with the case easily coming off or having any type of corner support issue. My original opinion that the XGear is a better case based on coverage still stands, but that may be moot once the Enki case comes out.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Joy Factory from Amazon for $27 and free 2 day shipping. I will do a comparison video between it and the Enki (once released) and possibly the XGear. Another thing that turned me off to the Joy Factory was that the cheapest shipping was $8. This way I get it for $3 cheaper and free shipping, and I know I can return it within 30 days with no hassle.

Last edited:

Most reactions