What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok i read up on this Jailbreaking stuff for the iPhone and at least understand why people do it. One article I read said that being able to tether your 3G phone to your laptop was the most frequent reason.

Some other people have posted that some of the new phones coming out have this feature already enabled and is a selling point for the phone.

I would think that eventually this may come to the iPhone?? I am getting a wifi only iPad so a phone that could do this for me would be higher up on the list than one that could not.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i read up on this Jailbreaking stuff for the iPhone and at least understand why people do it. One article I read said that being able to tether your 3G phone to your laptop was the most frequent reason.

Some other people have posted that some of the new phones coming out have this feature already enabled and is a selling point for the phone.

I would think that eventually this may come to the iPhone?? I am getting a wifi only iPad so a phone that could do this for me would be higher up on the list than one that could not.

I can wifi tether with my droid.

I would say the biggest reason people jailbreak is the ability to customize their UI and to use Cydia, which is the unofficial jailbreak app store. It's basically where apps that apple rejected go...and emulators and adult content.

I never jailbroke my iPod Touch and it is fine...I don't think I will end up jailbreaking my iPad unless a really good N64 emulator with iPod Touch controller is released!

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an iPhone since day 1 and haven't had good reason to jailbreak, until now. I have jailbroke my iPhone in the past, but I always ended up restoring it because it became a little slower and less stable.

Now that I have a wifi only iPad on pre-order I decided to jailbreak my backup iPhone (3G). The process was very easy. Once done I bought MyWi. Now my iPhone 3G can serve as an access point for my iPad. I tested it with both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 3GS (sim in the 3G). Works great.

Here are some jailbreak tutorials.
Here is a tutorial on turning your iPhone into a wifi hotspot.

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmm! I have never jailbroken my phone, but to turn my 3g iphone into a mifi that might be interesting!

Most reactions