What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking - Safe?

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've always pondered jailbreaking my 16gb iPad 1, but the thing that's stopped me is the worry that my information isn't safe, because I'm dealing with a 3rd party. I mean, there's nothing REALLY sensitive on my iPad, I don't use a credit card for the 3G payment (gift cards ftw!), the only things I'd be worried about are things like my email passwords, iTunes password, and other passwords for websites.

Basically, I'm worried about being keylogged or something. Is Jailbreaking safe?

As for what I'd do with it, the only thing that keeps coming to mind is tethering. I'd love to be able to tether with my 3G connection, and I did read about some thing that lets you have switches for things in settings (like wifi on/off, airplane mode, etc), it IS quite annoying to have to go into settings over and over for stuff like that.

My iPad's version is 4.3.5, btw. Is that jailbreakable?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is perfectly safe. You really have to be stupid and irresponsible to get yourself in trouble. No different from a PC. If you go searching for pirated apps and install things which do not come from the main sources in Cydia (the JB app store) then there may be a risk. So just don't do that. Stick with the mainstream stuff. Anything you can find in these forums is perfectly safe.

As for a jailbreak method, again we list all the legitimate ones here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

Please take time to read all our stickies. There really is a wealth of information in there.

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, alrighty. I've hit a snag though, it says I need a 4.3.4 IPSW file for the 4.3.5 tethered jailbreak, I didn't have one so I'm downloading one from pressbyte. (would post the link but I can't yet) Would that work?

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I managed to get Cydia working (after following the tethered jailbreak instructions of course) and after I installed SBsettings, it told me it needed to reboot so I hit "OK" and it rebooted...and now it's stuck at the silver apple screen, 10 minutes passed and it's still there, however, twice it has powered off momentarily before turning back on and going to the silver apple. What'd I do wrong? :(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I managed to get Cydia working (after following the tethered jailbreak instructions of course) and after I installed SBsettings, it told me it needed to reboot so I hit "OK" and it rebooted...and now it's stuck at the silver apple screen, 10 minutes passed and it's still there, however, twice it has powered off momentarily before turning back on and going to the silver apple. What'd I do wrong? :(

You have a tethered jailbreak. Every time you reboot your iPad you MUST use redsn0w again. See our tutorial here and follow step 11 - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-redsn0w-windows.html

And don't forget. Every time your reboot!

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I found that out via a google, that you need to just Home button and tethered reboot when an app install tells you to reboot. Quite annoying. I had to wait for it to do another momentary power-off to tethered boot it again with redsnow.

Working fine now.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things people tend to ignore, is to close the PDF hole that allows you to jailbreak your iPAD. This very "Hole" can allow some malicious Software to cause harm to your iPAD. Closing it wouldn't hart the jailbreak itself, and you can keep using Cydia as usual.

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things people tend to ignore, is to close the PDF hole that allows you to jailbreak your iPAD. This very "Hole" can allow some malicious Software to cause harm to your iPAD. Closing it wouldn't hart the jailbreak itself, and you can keep using Cydia as usual.

And...how would I go about fixing this "PDF hole" ? I searched around the site but couldn't find anything on it, and on Cydia, the "PDF Patch" was only compatible with 3.x.x and 4.0, I've got 4.3.5

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And...how would I go about fixing this "PDF hole" ? I searched around the site but couldn't find anything on it, and on Cydia, the "PDF Patch" was only compatible with 3.x.x and 4.0, I've got 4.3.5

Take a look at that Video of "PDF Patcher 2"
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=811kftsKXNo]‪'PDF Patcher 2' Secures Your iPhone From Latest PDF Exploit‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Most reactions

Latest posts