What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking really worth it?

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it really depends on how much and how you use your iPad. I honestly would not even want an iPad without RetinaPad, because I use so many non-universal iPhone apps. I also pay for a Grooveshark subscription, which at $3 a month kills Spotify or Rhapsody or Rdio or Mog, all of which I've tried, the latter three before I was JB.

I know exactly the keyboard issue you're having-had the same thing occur in theDataUsage app when trying to adjust cellular usage & came up with the same cut/paste workaround. I actually just uninstalled it yesterday because I was annoyed. It's a toss up and a lot of trial and error to resolve conflicts, but in my experience the more theming or display type mods, the more problems I've had, while paid things like RetinaPad, RichText for Mail, ScreenDimmer etc are just so valuable to me I wouldn't want to give them up.

It's a valid question I was definitely asking myself yesterday in the midst of my 12 hour attempt to fix a boot loop, then upgrade, then downgrade, then set up everything again. For me it's worth it, but I really think it comes down to which enhancements are most important to you, and how much that matters vs the conflicts that will inevitably pop up.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pkgbackup or xbackup.

It's a valid question I was definitely asking myself yesterday in the midst of my 12 hour attempt to fix a boot loop, then upgrade, then downgrade, then set up everything again. For me it's worth it, but I really think it comes down to which enhancements are most important to you, and how much that matters vs the conflicts that will inevitably pop up.

Last edited:

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because I install so many things from Cydia, it inevitably leads to the slowing of my OS after a few months.

I always only do a clean restore and set up as new, which I believe those cannot help with, correct? Or did I misunderstand how those work...

OP
N

NCRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
glittergirl said:
I think it really depends on how much and how you use your iPad. I honestly would not even want an iPad without RetinaPad, because I use so many non-universal iPhone apps. I also pay for a Grooveshark subscription, which at $3 a month kills Spotify or Rhapsody or Rdio or Mog, all of which I've tried, the latter three before I was JB.

I know exactly the keyboard issue you're having-had the same thing occur in theDataUsage app when trying to adjust cellular usage & came up with the same cut/paste workaround. I actually just uninstalled it yesterday because I was annoyed. It's a toss up and a lot of trial and error to resolve conflicts, but in my experience the more theming or display type mods, the more problems I've had, while paid things like RetinaPad, RichText for Mail, ScreenDimmer etc are just so valuable to me I wouldn't want to give them up.

You hit it....

I keep JB for RetinaPad , Gestures, maybe a few others....

If MyWi would actually work......it would be cool too.

OP
N

NCRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Good discussion. Keep it going!

Thanks...

I just wondered how people were dealing with the little irritations(like the keyboard thing) and weather or not JB was a fad?

IOS5 is going to bring mirror and gestures....so I am left with RetinaPad, which is a big deal for me. Not sure why apple doesn't offer this anyway?

But with he discussion I have seen a good deal of new tweaks and repositories that I was unaware of and more importantly....why people feel they are worth while, not just that it's cool.

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since this an iPad forum, that particular question is less crucial than for me on my iPhone. But setting aside RetinaPad, the convenience of SBSettings for me is another top one. For overall performance management, especially things like the wifi, 3G, and Remove BG toggles (though the last is tied to a separate app).

I could survive a non-JB iPad. Without a JB or Apple-sanctioned official abilities for the following, I would seriously get an Android as much as that would pain me. It's all about battery and memory management for me because I'm on it constantly and the lighter in my car does not work to charge while driving or away from home. On that front:

-ScreenDimmer set to dim at 1 minute, turn off backlight at two minutes before system auto-lock takes over at 5 minutes.

-Auto3G, although I think it's contributing to some system instability so I'm thinking about another paid Cydia option there...forgot what it's called but you can schedule many things to turn on/off

-Remove BG - would go nuts without it. Not only do multiple apps suck memory in the background - whether they're supposed to or not, it's plainly obvious if you have available memory always displayed in your status bar like I do, and you can just feel the lag. If it's doing both of those things, it's got to be sucking some additional battery too, which can also be confirmed with...

-Battery Detective - to find out the health/capacity of your battery, the current temp of your battery (useful in an odd way to reveal if a bulky iphone or iPad case is causing your device to run much hotter than it should, which you may not feel to the touch if the case is thick like Otterbox), also to monitor the trickle charge.

-Activator, because it saves so much time to not have to hit the home button to bring up the multitask bar, close apps, etc. But mostly because it makes me feel like it's Star Trek with all the gestures. :)

There are many other things, mostly the better quality paid apps/mods whatever you want to call them, but the above are things that have become pretty important to me on the iPad and critical on my iPhone. Also a quick shoutout for RichText for Mail though, because it's just dumb that you can't natively do things like format bold and italic text, insert pictures, etc.

Oh, one more for iPad especially: PhotoAlbums+. I upload my pics to Picasa bc my computer is so old and I don't have the storage. So normally you have to create additional albums only by syncing from a computer. They're not on my computer though. :/ I'm an Instagram and photo editing junkie and the majority of iPhone photo editing apps will work in an iPad1, but *only* after you have at least one album synced (or created with PA+). No idea why that is, but it must be due to how their "import from camera roll" function does not see iPad's saved photos as accessible if it's the only thing there. Oddly enough, once you add an additional album those apps can import from there too, but if you haven't synced any and only have saved photos they will either freeze, crash, or say no photos found. Weird, but that's why I love that tweak for iPad.

As iPads and iPhones continue to become more and more people's primary "computers," I'm hoping the JB scene continues; I think it will, as there will be demand for a long time to come for people who want to better manage them and expand their Apple-approved capabilities aka limitations.

OP
N

NCRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the lighter charge....have you purchased an iPad specific charger? It uses a different voltage than the iPhone so you need to get one specifically for the iPad

I love the albums+ also.....great tweak

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It uses the same voltage. The iPad requires more amperage.

-t

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my wall charger is 10V, 2.1Amp.

does it mean the 5V, 2.1Amp car charger i purchased isn't right, or it just charges half as fast?

OP
N

NCRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond said:
my wall charger is 10V, 2.1Amp.

does it mean the 5V, 2.1Amp car charger i purchased isn't right, or it just charges half as fast?

I think the iPhone / iPods take a 1amp but will also charge from a 2.1...where the iPad requires a 2.1amp

Most reactions