What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad3 wifi general JB experiences

schetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, hello everybody, another noob asking probably foolish questions..

Status: have an ipad3 wifi on 6.1.2 , still deciding whether to JB or not.. (I've read almost entire subforum here :) , didn't help..

what I would like to use is:

1.iFile, to get at least some control over SD card and usb attached devices via CCK
2.nitrous tweak for obvious reasons
3.xbmc to stream live football (European)

none of the above is an absolute necesity but would like to try it out..

as mentioned ipad is a shared device between me and my wife, I wondered what are general experiences with JBen ipad3 as safe mode is not such a big problem for me, but my wife would be lost probably :))

can I expect safe modes and crashing from time to time or are general experiences that it's absolutetly a stable JB:))

thank you in advance

P.S. , I know I can restore if I don't like it but I really don't have that much time on my hands with my kid pulling my arm right as I type :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should only expect to visit safe mode if you install a buggy or incompatible tweak onto your device, and therefore, in the normal scheme of things for the use you have described above it would be extremely unusual for you to see it. Also, if it does happen, a dialogue box pops up, and invites you to re-spring. Whilst it may be a little confusing, your wife, I'm sure, could follow the simple on screen instructions and push the button.
Again, that would be extremely rare, because the only time you should see Safe Mode is when you install something new and it does not work (for whatever reason). Since your Wife would be very unlikely to do this herself, I'd say the risk is minimal.

And of course, should you run into problems, we are here to help!

Having iFile and Nitrous on there should result in a rock solid iPad. These apps are not buggy at all (I have them both on all my devices). I cannot speak for xbmc, as it really isn't my bag, but I know lots of folks use it and seem to get on with it OK.

Finally, it is very unusual to be forced to restore your device because of a jailbreak. You need to be pushing the boundaries and taking a lot of risks in terms of the number and type of tweaks you are installing on your device. The folks that are normally forced to restore could probably have avoided it if they had 1) taken a little bit more care, and 2) not panicked. Based on what you describe as your usage, I can't see how you would ever get yourself into a situation where a restore is required.

As ever, YMMV, but I would have no hesitation in encouraging you to have a go based on what you have said.

Good Luck!

OP
S

schetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you very much for your time and effort in providing me an explanation..I think I will give it a go... :)

OP
S

schetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well if anybody cares..

JBed ,all went fine..

so far, no battery issues, no slowing down, but that's probably a general experience ..

as for tweaks, I might install few more , but only the ones I find really useful..attaching files to mail from mail app or similar tweaks..

but I will install any of those only after careful reading so I don't mess up my JB..so only thoroughly tested tweaks (3 max) will be applied..

:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I care ;)

Glad to hear you got it jailbroken OK. You know where we are if you have any more Qs.

OP
S

schetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well for now I'll be checking in this section for perfectly stable tweaks...

thank you..

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course we care! :)

Congrats on jail breaking your iPad - IMNSHO, you're going to love it.

The tweak AnyAttach was just updated in Cydia. That's the one that allows you to attach any file (including ones in Dropbox!) to your e-mail. Very handy tweak that's working just fine on my iPad 3.

Can you tell I'm thrilled it's finally been updated? :)

During your research, please make sure you take a look at this Ultimate Tweak List: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

f4780y has just finished updating it to reflect those tweaks that run well (or at all) on iOS 6. With the help of some of our other members, he's ensured that if a tweak says its compatible with iOS 6, it really is. So, they'll run fine on your iPad.

Regardless - have fun with that newly free iPad. :)

Marilyn

OP
S

schetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well,had to install xcon as skype didnt work on modified os..no biggie..

also,installed swipeselection..now,how did I type on ipad before ..excellent tweak..

as for killing all background apps,which tweak is most stable and lightweight :)

Still reading about NCsettings,as it won't be developed anymore and has mixed reviews it probably won't be installed

Most reactions

Latest posts