What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Explained

yarita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow the very best sticky for all newbies like me, thanks very much for it!!

nishanthbuddy92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can i jailbreak IOS 5.0??Does the jailbreak harms my ipad2.. since it crosses the restrictions is there a possible way for viruses?? many told that they have a problem at restart stucked with the logo.. are there any solutions for that??

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no jailbreak for iPad 2 on iOS 5, the only jailbreak for the iPad 2 so far is 4.3.3. Pod2G tweeted a jailbreak for 5.0.1 could be as little as a week away but remember he could always run into issues and it could be prolonged. All you can do is sit and wait but I would go ahead and update your device to 5.0.1 before Apple releases a new firmware.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here goes. You gave me heck for breaking into a thread. Sorry, I have no experience at all this. I just replied to the person who
Wrote what I was wanting to learn about. So now I'm way down at the bottom of the posts so I won't be breaking in, at least
That is what I thought you meant.
Perhaps you could explain for my benefit just what it was that I actually did. I hit post quick reply and att to the post so the
Person I wanted to read it, can.if I accidentally touch the screen the whole thread runs away.
Thanks, hope this isn't breaking in. Now I'm going to touch Post Quick Reply

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you JB for third party apps? I thought Apple had over 500,000 apps? If this is too retarded of a question you don't have to answer - I'm just curious.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
johnml said:
Why would you JB for third party apps? I thought Apple had over 500,000 apps? If this is too retarded of a question you don't have to answer - I'm just curious.

No, it's a good question.

You are right of course, the number of Apps in the app store is unfathomable. However, Apple place very strict restrictions on exactly what Apps can do. The term jailbreaking comes from the fact that this process releases you from the "jail" Apple puts you in.

Apps from the app store are "sandboxed". This means they can only play within their own little area. Have you ever noticed, apps can't actually talk to each other at all. There is extremely limited interaction via the "Open In" facility, and that's about it.
The other thing apps cannot do is alter the way the operating system works or change any of the built in apps.

Jailbreak apps on the other hand can do this. To put this into context, here are some examples of JB apps and tweaks.

iKeywi HD - Alters the IOS keyboard providing a 5th row, which makes it look just like every keyboard you will ever use. I still can't believe Apples stance in not providing this as a standard feature! :)

iFile - Provides a complete system wide file Explorer allowing you to manipulate all the files on the file system. You simply can't do this on a non-jailbroken device.

dTunes - Allows you to drag and drop music, movies, etc. from your PC onto the iPad completely bypassing the need to use iTunes. Some folks really HATE iTunes! This allows them not to use it.

Iconoclasm - Lets you change the standard icon layout your iPad to almost any combination. So you can have a 6x6 grid of icons to make more use of that screen estate! Or you can have layouts which are not grid based at all.

Winterboard - Allows you to apply themes to your device, changing the icons, graphics, colours, fonts, sounds etc. Just in case you are bored with the standard IOS theme.

YourTube HD - Is a YouTube extension which adds features such as the ability to download and store videos for offline playback later amongst other features.

And there are many many more. Maybe not 500,000 more. In fact, you'd be lucky to pick 1,000 JB apps which are suitable for the iPad. But for me, there are a couple of dozen which really add significant value to my iPad experience, and that's why I jailbreak!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

spartan1195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too was curious on the benefits of jailbreaking, but just those few examples from f4780y are enough to convince me its worth the hassle. All I need now is to wait for an iPad3 jailbreak:D

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
spartan1195 said:
I too was curious on the benefits of jailbreaking, but just those few examples from f4780y are enough to convince me its worth the hassle. All I need now is to wait for an iPad3 jailbreak:D

Its NOT worth it. I followed every step, checked and rechecked all my cydia apps and it made my ipad unusable until i restored.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Its NOT worth it. I followed every step, checked and rechecked all my cydia apps and it made my ipad unusable until i restored.
Not worth it for you, but many people think it is :)

mrkodak_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u don't jailbreak there is no need to have an i device...jailbreak ing is da way to go I got rid of my droid just because of the iPad/iPhone jailbreak...well worth it..

Most reactions

Latest posts