What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Explained

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. no
2. yes, but they can't
3. if it's inoperable, they can't figure out that it's jailbroken because... well... it's inoperable. If you can't get something back to the point to restore, then it's pretty much fubar. Plus, they only care if it got wet at that point probably so they will check the water indicators.
4. one year. sure. nobody is forcing anyone to jailbreak. It's not for everyone.

Chris

Good answers.

The only thing I would add, that sometimes people do out of habit, is to make sure you don't restore from a backup after you have restored your iPhone. While this will of course not restore the jailbreak, it will restore settings and other items that were for the jailbreak (Cydia settings, etc). Some of these settings can still make a visible change right on the main springboard display when the iPad is not actually jailbroken anymore. (e.g., custom carrier logo for 3G iPhones, or custom image for WiFi indicator). Other things can be seen by the tools they have at the Apple Store--though I would say odds are they won't be. But why take that chance.

Michael

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. no
2. yes, but they can't
3. if it's inoperable, they can't figure out that it's jailbroken because... well... it's inoperable. If you can't get something back to the point to restore, then it's pretty much fubar. Plus, they only care if it got wet at that point probably so they will check the water indicators.
4. one year. sure. nobody is forcing anyone to jailbreak. It's not for everyone.

Chris

Good answers.

The only thing I would add, that sometimes people do out of habit, is to make sure you don't restore from a backup after you have restored your iPhone. While this will of course not restore the jailbreak, it will restore settings and other items that were for the jailbreak (Cydia settings, etc). Some of these settings can still make a visible change right on the main springboard display when the iPad is not actually jailbroken anymore. (e.g., custom carrier logo for 3G iPhones, or custom image for WiFi indicator). Other things can be seen by the tools they have at the Apple Store--though I would say odds are they won't be. But why take that chance.

Michael

Let me see if I get this:
You restore to factory settings first.

Then you are saying don't restore again because you may restore settings under Cydia?

Is that if after you jailbreak, you are still backing up your apps, including the the settings for Cydia?

Did I get that right?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then you are saying don't restore again because you may restore settings under Cydia?

Is that if after you jailbreak, you are still backing up your apps, including the the settings for Cydia?

Did I get that right?

No. After you restore iTunes will ask you if you want to restore your settings from a backup. It is these settings that can bring back remnants from a jailbreak.

But you can restore your firmware as many times as you like. I was talking about restoring settings from a backup, not the restore of firmware. Kinda confusing but two different kinds of restores: one is for the firmware, one is for the settings and other items that are backed up (Saved Photos, etc.). Anything not backed up up by the iTunes backup process can be reloaded via a normal iTunes synch (music, videos, regular photos, etc.).

Michael

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Did I get that right?

No. After you restore iTunes will ask you if you want to restore your settings from a backup. It is these settings that can bring back remnants from a jailbreak.

But you can restore your firmware as many times as you like. I was talking about restoring settings from a backup, not the restore of firmware. Kinda confusing but two different kinds of restores: one is for the firmware, one is for the settings and other items that are backed up (Saved Photos, etc.). Anything not backed up up by the iTunes backup process can be reloaded via a normal iTunes synch (music, videos, regular photos, etc.).

Michael

So don't restore from a backup just restore the firmware?

jeffjeffz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope I am in the correct section.
Updated Ipad 16GB - 3G with iOS4.2.1
Installed Cydia
Installed some apps from Cydia

Till now everthing OK

The problem is with BACKGROUNDER

When I install Backgrounder my iPad will restart and will Block with the apple Logo

Tried it 3 times and always same problem

I had to make a Factory Recovery from itunes to get the iPad working

Why this is happening?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You CANNOT reboot a tethered jailbreak without using redsn0w.

The good news is if it happens again you don't have to do a full factory restore... redsn0w can still boot it if that happens again.

However, next time a cydia app wants to reboot don't let it. just exit--press the home key. Then use redsn0w immediately thereafter to reboot it. This is only for a reboot. If cydia only wants to respring you can let it... that is fine. But rebooting... nope, only via redsn0w.

Michael

pyrogram

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a new Ipad with 4.2.1 and heard there was an untethered JB coming up for it. Problem is, from what I've been reading we need to have some backup stuff saved from previous versions to be able to use it. My question is, having bought it with 4.2.1 already, will I be able to use this untethered jailbreak or should I just go for the tethered one?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well since the untethered jb should be out any day now, I would wait and see first.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does "tethered" jailbreak mean?

My understanding is that tethered means that on a reboot/shutdown/drain battery (and possibly a respring, but not sure about that one) your iProduct would need to be connected (tethered) to your computer (mac, pc, laptop, etc) on startup.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does "tethered" jailbreak mean?

My understanding is that tethered means that on a reboot/shutdown/drain battery (and possibly a respring, but not sure about that one) your iProduct would need to be connected (tethered) to your computer (mac, pc, laptop, etc) on startup.
Not on a respring.... but yes for a restart you must boot with Redsn0w.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts