What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Explained

pwni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I have a few questions that I'm a little confused on..
I am interested in jailbreaking my iPad, mainly because I want to put emulators on it. Like someone asked, what effect will this have in November? Will I have to "unjailbreak" it through iTunes when I go to install the update? Also, if I purchase things on the iPad, will I lose these if I also "unjailbreak" my iPad? To be more clear, since I can't sync it back to my iTunes, what happens to those purchases?

Thanks!

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I have a few questions that I'm a little confused on..
I am interested in jailbreaking my iPad, mainly because I want to put emulators on it. Like someone asked, what effect will this have in November? Will I have to "unjailbreak" it through iTunes when I go to install the update? Also, if I purchase things on the iPad, will I lose these if I also "unjailbreak" my iPad? To be more clear, since I can't sync it back to my iTunes, what happens to those purchases?

Thanks!

Nope. You can still update normally but if you do then you will lose your jailbreak.

You will be able to sync with iTunes as normal and keep all your apps if you jailbreak :)

nethunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a total noob to jailbreak, so sorry if I ask questions already asked, but I want to get sure.

Right now I'm waiting for the JB for 3.2.2.

So basically, when I jb my ipad I will still be able to use it with itunes, sync it, download apps from the app store, keep my already bought apps, etc. just like it would be a non-jb ipad? Apple won't notice anything?

Are there any downsides to JB? I just want to do it for third-party apps, nothing else. What bad things can happen? Is it more likely to crash, freeze, get slower, use more battery or anything?

Again sorry, but I want to get sure before I do this :) Thxx

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have the updates about jailbreaking the latest/current version iOS4 that came out recently? Any new issues/problems? Thanks!

wintercold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have the updates about jailbreaking the latest/current version iOS4 that came out recently? Any new issues/problems? Thanks!
the latest version is iOS 4.2.1. The only way to Jailbreak (JB) an Ipad updated to 4.2.1 is redsnOw 0.9.6b4 but it's a tethered jailbreaking method. We're waiting non-tethered JB for iOS4.2.1

DSSK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a brand new ipad 32gb wifi and it came with 3.2.2 I backed up the shsh blobs or whatever even though I wasn't sure and then followed the instructions that this guy provided over at tc geeks (see link in the message below)

I am running 4.2.1 jailbroken. I had 0 jailbreaking experience and this guide helped me out a lot.

I am totally aware that its a tethered jailbreak until something else comes out but that does not bother me.

Thanks!

aerviscool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jailbreak problems

i heard if you jailbreak it you lose whatever warranty the retailer supplied,

Last edited:

Hamid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad and jailbroke it and downloaded quite a few apps from cydia. The newer version 4.0.1 got released which has airplay, printing and folder options and i updated the newer version on the day it was released 11/23 if i remember correctly. Now none of the apps which i downloaded from cydia works. My friends tell me that until and unless you jailbreak this new firmware you cannot open these apps. Please let me know if the apps can be used after it is jailbroken?

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad and jailbroke it and downloaded quite a few apps from cydia. The newer version 4.0.1 got released which has airplay, printing and folder options and i updated the newer version on the day it was released 11/23 if i remember correctly. Now none of the apps which i downloaded from cydia works. My friends tell me that until and unless you jailbreak this new firmware you cannot open these apps. Please let me know if the apps can be used after it is jailbroken?
Assuming Apple didn't change something in the firmware that would render an application broken, they should be available to you again after you jailbreak... and reinstall. You shouldn't have to pay again as the license information is held by Cydia just like the license info for apps you bought through the app store are held by Apple.

Is untethered jail break for the newest version of ipad available?
Not to my knowledge, but I haven't been paying much attention.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before but here goes: Suppose I jailbreak then something happens and my ipad needs servicing. I get that you can restore.
1. Would the peeps at Apple know that your ipad was jailbroken?
2. If they could, wouldn't that void your warranty?
3.Suppose your jail broken ipad becomes inoperable, that is like, can't even turn on so you can't restore. Wouldn't that also void your warranty if you take it to Apple for servicing?
4.How long is the warranty, that protection plan that Apple offers. I think it is one year. Wouldn't it then be best to jailbreak after that one year was up?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before but here goes: Suppose I jailbreak then something happens and my ipad needs servicing. I get that you can restore.
1. Would the peeps at Apple know that your ipad was jailbroken?
2. If they could, wouldn't that void your warranty?
3.Suppose your jail broken ipad becomes inoperable, that is like, can't even turn on so you can't restore. Wouldn't that also void your warranty if you take it to Apple for servicing?
4.How long is the warranty, that protection plan that Apple offers. I think it is one year. Wouldn't it then be best to jailbreak after that one year was up?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.
1. no
2. yes, but they can't
3. if it's inoperable, they can't figure out that it's jailbroken because... well... it's inoperable. If you can't get something back to the point to restore, then it's pretty much fubar. Plus, they only care if it got wet at that point probably so they will check the water indicators.
4. one year. sure. nobody is forcing anyone to jailbreak. It's not for everyone.

Chris

Most reactions