What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes backup vs. Icloud backup

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been told here (and it makes good sense and what I'm going to do) that the best thing for transferring my current Ipad info to new Ipad is to do Itunes backup and restore from that. So--a friend in another country took his Ipad 2 in for some help from genius bar and in the end (he admits it was not smart on his part) was told that it needed to be restored to original, thus losing everything (found that this wasn't so and is very unhappy). He believed he could restore from Itunes, but its showing last backup in Sept. He also pays $100/year for Icloud full backup. As I understand it, if you do Icloud backup you can't do an Itunes backup. He says he's been doing syncs since then and assumed that would be his restore option but now nothing current there. I remember seeing somewhere that if you choose Icloud it won't backup to Itunes--thought it was in the setting area on Ipad for Icloud but found nothing there today. It appears he will have to restore from his last Icloud backup but now we are both a bit confused. I found a good straightforward little online tute how to do this Icloud restore, but also found others not happy with it saying it took in some casea 16 hours, etc. and some didn't go smoothly. He, of course, has no choice but I do going forward.

So--question is--anyone who has more info on this, maybe has restored from Iclouds? I do not have restore from Iclouds as I have so much in my apps and don't really want to pay $100 when I can do a backup (Ipad 1) to Itunes. This is making me rethink it though. Right now I have crucial content backed up in Dropbox when possible, have Goodreaders backed up to Icloud, but not full backup (mine is also backed up each evening when I plug it in).

Diane

enlightened

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that iCloud won't back up your apps, but anything installed from the App Store can be reinstalled for free when you re-setup your account. However, you'd lose your data in those apps.

Does that help clear any of the confusion/ questions?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
One thing to consider is that iCloud won't back up your apps, but anything installed from the App Store can be reinstalled for free when you re-setup your account. However, you'd lose your data in those apps.

Does that help clear any of the confusion/ questions?

If I remember correctly, the app data is backed up. Meaning if you have lets say something like saved scores for an app that will be backed up. when you restore from incloud it will restore all of your apps user data and then download the actual app again from the app store. This is just like how when you update an app from the app store, your user data stays on the iPad for the new version of the app.

The reason for this is simply to save space. Store only what is needed in our iCloude storage and all of the stuff that apple already has in the app market can just be downloaded at time of restore from the apps store rather than your own personal storage. So for apps like Navigon that are over a gig in size, they don't use up another gig of space for each user who backs up their apps.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A little more help.

When you turn on iCloud backup, iTunes stops doing backups automatically when syncing with the computer; however you can still force iTunes to backup manually. Just right click on the iPad under the Devices lists and choose Back Up.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the app data is backed up. Meaning if you have lets say something like saved scores for an app that will be backed up. when you restore from incloud it will restore all of your apps user data and then download the actual app again from the app store. This is just like how when you update an app from the app store, your user data stays on the iPad for the new version of the app.

Really? I understood what Enlightened stated about app data and backup, has this changed with the apps updates and integration for iCloud support?

Last edited:

michal101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
create backup of iPad data

itune is present to create the backupof the iPad data. But it seems very slow if you want to synchroniseit slightly faster. To do so you have to use any other or third partytool to create fast and effective backup of iPad data. There are somany effective and reliable iPad data is available you just need toselect best one.
For more info

michal101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little more help.

When you turn on iCloud backup, iTunes stops doing backups automatically when syncing with the computer; however you can still force iTunes to backup manually. Just right click on the iPad under the Devices lists and choose Back Up.

itune is present to create the backup of the iPad data. But it seems very slow if you want to synchronise it slightly faster. To do so you have to use any other or third party tool to create fast and effective backup of iPad data. There are so many effective and reliable iPad data is available you just need to select best one.
For more info:- http://www.ipadbackupphoto.com

Most reactions

Latest posts