What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITunes autostarts on PC after 5.0 update

Lyttuch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I connected the iPad to my PC and updated to 5.0. Everything seemed to be fine. I exited out of iTunes and was tinkering around on the web...on the PC...and when I closed IE iTunes was open. I though this was odd and maybe I misremembered closing it, so I closed it. A while later, I looked and iTunes was open on the desktop again. I closed it again and it opened itself again a while later. I have not had any problems with it in the month I've owned the iPad. This only started happening since the OS update. Any ideas? Have I inadvertently told iTunes to keep turning itself on? I keep the iPad turned on 100% of the time at home and it's linked wirelessly to my home network. Is this a syncing problem?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I may have experienced the same thing. Installed the latest iTunes on the my desktop over the weekend. It's not the computer I use in conjunction with the iPad. This morning iTunes opened unexpectedly. My initial assumption was that I had hit an icon on the desktop by accident but I'll keep my eye on such behavior in the future. God, I hate iTunes.

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed this today too, so I looked through everything and couldn't find iTunes.exe anywhere. But, I ran 'msconfig' and disabled the iTunesHelper on the Startup tab which stopped iTunes from autostarting on bootup. It also had a side effect that when I plugged in my iOS device, iTunes didn't startup automatically either.

So, I'm thinking it is because of the new feature in iTunes for Syncing over WiFi since iTunes shows my iOS device under Devices most all the time now. I surmise that iTunesHelper has to startup iTunes to try and find the iOS device over WiFi which is why iTunes autostarts now.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's a check button to stop this in your iPad from launching iTunes in Edit/Preferences/Devices and you need to check it- it says "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." The iPad will launch iTunes and try to sync all the fricking time if this isn't checked, so it drains your battery and if you're working on your pc you get annoyed by iTunes popping up every five minutes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts