What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to separate two iDevices into separate iTunes accounts

IpadDope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently we have an iPod and an iPad registered on the same iTunes account and sync'g on the same PC.
My daughter uses the iPod while I use the ... well look at my username!
Anyways it's come to the point where I don't want her music and apps, etc. sync'g on my iPad, and vice-versa.
I am thinking an easy way to manage this is if I use iTunes on a different PC.

I probably need to open a new iTunes account, right?

How do I tell my iPad to forget the current iTunes account it is linked to, and use a new account?

What about iTunes on PC 1? How do I tell it to forget about my iPad?

Is there anything else I might need to be concerned about?

There is a balance in the first account but I will let her keep it.

Thanks for any help! (plz be gentle - I'm a recent newcomer the Apple world!)

Written by an iPad dope using the iPF app on a 32gb wi-fi iPad 2

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no way to move existing purchases from one iTunes account to another. You will have to start over on the new iTunes account with one of the devices.

If you really want a clean break, reset one iPad to factory defaults and start over as if it's a new machine with a brand new iTunes account.

If you try to keep using any of the original Apps on the second iPad they will continue to get their updates from the original iTunes account. You can have two iTunes accounts in use on one iPad, but you need to watch carefully which one is active when you make a new purchase.

-t

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You don't have to have the exact same music and apps on both devices just cause your using the same account, just set the sync settings up on each device for what you want. Creating playlists for music for each device is a simple way to manage music.

OP
I

IpadDope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
There is no way to move existing purchases from one iTunes account to another. You will have to start over on the new iTunes account with one of the devices.

If you really want a clean break, reset one iPad to factory defaults and start over as if it's a new machine with a brand new iTunes account.

If you try to keep using any of the original Apps on the second iPad they will continue to get their updates from the original iTunes account. You can have two iTunes accounts in use on one iPad, but you need to watch carefully which one is active when you make a new purchase.

-t

Thanks thewitt.

I like the factory defaults idea but I'll leave that as the last resort since it's so drastic.

Regarding having two accounts on one iPad - how exactly do I set that up?

Thanks!

==> Written by an iPad dope using the iPF app on a 32gb wi-fi iPad 2. Arrived in the Apple world in June 2011.

OP
I

IpadDope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You don't have to have the exact same music and apps on both devices just cause your using the same account, just set the sync settings up on each device for what you want. Creating playlists for music for each device is a simple way to manage music.

Thanks DefBref.

This may be the answer. I'll have to start getting more familiar with iTunes!

==> Written by an iPad dope using the iPF app on a 32gb wi-fi iPad 2. Arrived in the Apple world in June 2011.

Most reactions

Latest posts