What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iSwifter app allows unlimited flash content to play on iPad.. For free.

bedouin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you insist :) But you'd have as much luck asking everyone to email jobs and tell him to allow flash... There's no technical reason why he shouldn't.

Flash for Mac is a good enough reason. Its awful performance on Android is another. Security is yet another issue; the OS X update prior to the most recent fixed dozens of Flash vulnerabilities alone. There are open ways to implement what Flash does now; it is obsolete. You will not be using it 5 years from now.

Things become standards because a large group of people (or more often a small group of very influential people - which amounts to the same thing) decide they all like one thing.

Let me know when the ISO or w3c recognizes Flash. Standards can be implemented without third party intervention; I can run Java on a PPC Mac running a Linux distribution. Flash will never have that distinction.

Oh, and of course you might as well email Apple to tell them to stop using quicktime for video - I don't believe that is a standard, is it?

QuickTime X dropped a bunch of the proprietary legacy codecs. AAC and x264 playback on any device. Apple's QuickTime streaming server has been open source for years.

As I stated - this app may suck for some games and such now

As long as it is a glorified VNC client -- the only thing it can really ever be, it's going to suck. Things basic enough to be used through it will eventually go the way of HTML5 and other open standards anyway.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash for Mac is a good enough reason.

Man you are funny :) Why would a business care about an OS that doesn't even get into double digits as far as market share? And Android? Really? lol... that's besides the fact that it is in it's first iteration (flash for Android)

Shouldn't we take this to another thread? I'll reply... This is too much fun not to :D

Although you are taking out of context my comments on THIS app. I think it is terrific for exactly what I use it for. I have not stated any more. I said it may suck for games and such, but as I have not used it for them at all, I am only going by other posters comments. Refer to them if you want actual use information.

bedouin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hufn; said:
Man you are funny :) Why would a business care about an OS that doesn't even get into double digits as far as market share?

That's precisely why Jobs does not want it on the iPad. That's also why iOS has a ton of really well made and polished apps, not just 5 minute ports that run like shit.

And Android? Really? lol... that's besides the fact that it is in it's first iteration (flash for Android)

It won't get better. It can't. The same reason Flash ran like trash on a dual 1.8ghz PowerMac and on my 2ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook. And people want this on a 1ghz mobile processor that has battery life as a major concern? It is two decades of code hacked together that shortsightedly focused on x86 solely most of its life. Now let them be rewarded for that.

Although you are taking out of context my comments on THIS app. I think it is terrific for exactly what I use it for.

This app is nothing more than a VNC client that uses someone else's server instead of your own. It's a solution akin to putting a webcam in front of my TV so I can watch it at work.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that this is a huge bandwidth hog. That's the reason it can't function on 3G, not that you'd want it to since your data plan would get ate up in a few hours. A program of this nature uses a great deal of CPU power as a well, so again -- goodbye battery life.

Last edited:

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol @ bedouin :) oh and you might want to watch the language ;) I'll wait for your new thread outside of this one btw and reply there.

On topic though, has anyone bought this? I don't use it much so the nag screen isn't too annoying but I can see where it would be on a day to day basis.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use this program periodically when I need it. But with the splashtop gmail upgrade, there's no real reason to, except when I want to watch Hulu, CBS, or other cool, US-only videos. :)

I found this thread because I wanted to ask about sky fire, what's the difference between the two? As well, is there any updated word on Adobe's HTML5 converter?

cvadh387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had iswifter a while ago but had to uninstall it because it was soooo slow and just got annoying. Even though it opened up flash videos, it was just so slow to load and i could never finish a video on it. It pissed me off more than it made me happy...and i agree with what others have said about the app: it looks childish. Maybe sometime in the future i might give it another shot, but for now if i want to see a flash vid, i'll just resort to my laptop.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now apparently they have a new version out, but want a stupid subscription to use it. What a joke. I don't care how good any APP is, there is no way I will pay a subscription for any APP.

You can just use the remote program called Splashtop and log on your desktop computer to use flash, its much cheaper and works great.

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if the free version is such piece of crap, can the paid version be substantially better?

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now apparently they have a new version out, but want a stupid subscription to use it. What a joke. I don't care how good any APP is, there is no way I will pay a subscription for any APP.

When I did the upgrade , I saw that too . But now I can't find the part where they talk about a subscription .:confused:

Reaction score
I gave up on the half working browsers and got Splashtop to make my desktop do the work and it show up on my Ipad.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the new update for ISwifter can give access to flash programs via 3g, I would pay for it. If not, it doesn't make much sense, does it? I mean, if I am going to use wifi, I am more likely to be at home, why then would I need iSwifter?

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Yptcn: They say it right in their updates description in the App Store.

:eek: Ooops , thank you! I guess that's an app I'll delete. The developers shot themselves in the foot when asking for a subscription ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts