What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with iPad 3/4G+WiFi version owner worldwide!

D.Eftaxias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue in Greece with Vodafone

staticmap

pb3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update as it has been a couple of weeks since my last post.

My iPad appears to have conspired against me as the problem has not reoccured since I decided to book a genius bar appointment about 3 weeks ago :eek:

I did my usual weekly bus ride in the run up to the appointment and it worked flawlessly in both directions. A couple of days later the 3g did not activate but I was able to recover by enabling & disabling flight mode. I did not have to reboot as normal.

I decided to keep the genuis bar appointment anyway and as I expected the "genius" advised that he had not come across the problem, but that newly released devices tend to have snags that are sorted out by future firmware upgrades. He agreed to feedback the issue to Apple. It didn't come across as a blatant fob-off but I did get a nagging suspicion that he wanted to get on to his next appointment :eek:

My Ipad has continued to work flawlessly since with no reoccurences of the "Could not activate mobile data network" error. I did not do change anything on the device.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pb3 said:
Thought I'd post an update as it has been a couple of weeks since my last post.
My Ipad has continued to work flawlessly since with no reoccurences of the "Could not activate mobile data network" error. I did not do change anything on the device.

Thanks for your update pb3.

I have been diligently turning off my iPad3 when I left the house each morning to avoid this issue as I was regularly getting it every day. I was just assuming the problem was persistent given it had been happening every day for a couple of weeks. I even exchanged my iPad with Apple.

As of yesterday (on the back of your post) I stopped doing it and so far I have NOT had the dreaded "Could not activate cellular data network". Just like you, I have made no change to my iPad settings over the time period, and I have not noticed any carrier updates which might have been another way to fix it. I have so far been connected to 3 different wifi networks without needing to reboot when switching back to a 3G connection.

So, I'm happy to say, so far my problems seem resolved :D

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
05/1 Update,

With my Singtel celllular data line, some time I could switch the APN name between "e-ideas" & "internet" and it work without a reboot needed. But sometimes I'll still need to reboot my new iPad as swapping both name just couldn't help to get the connection.

I can travel in Singapore from North East to South, to West, to East. From Punggol to Tampines, Katong, Marina Square, 313, Wisma Astria, ION, Shaw Centre, PS, Alexandra/Leng Kee Road, Mustafa area, Rangoon Road(Ng Ag Sio BKT) from time to time run into this silly "Could not activate cellular data network" "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet".

One and half month of countless frustration, still did not hear anything from the stupid Apple Engineering team. They simply just keep quiet about their issues. The way they handling the crisis are even worst than crappy & much smaller size HTC company with recent One-X screen chaos, that was more worse issue as you often need to see the display in a day. Under the lady boss/chairman Ms. Cher Wang 王雪紅 instructions, they did provide some info to Taiwan press & internet media when they put up the inquiry about the screen issues with HTC.

So Mr. Tim Cook, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? Or you're just another apprentice of Mr. Martin Yan, are still shooting the "TIM CAN COOK SHOW", so has absolutely no time for our issue? What about your Engeering team? Are they trained to handle with "CRISIS"?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect that in some cases, the issue is with the carrier software. Apple could be working behind the scenes to work with the cellular engineers to initiate updates that resolve the problems. Sometimes this approach may make thing easier for all to deal with. Especially, if it is due to different source code errors in each zone. Things like this can be frustrating, and Apple's quiet backdoor operations do not sit well with those who want to know all the details.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did get a carrier update from Verizon version 12 to 12.1. It made no difference to me as I'm not having problems.

Fave8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just registered to post a +1 in this thread. Did some googling and found this thread.

iPad loses its 3G connection somehow, only way I found to counter this is to turn it off, and back on again. It works 75% of the time I'd say.

iPad 64Go WiFi 3G
serial number = DMPHxxx
Country = France
Provider = Free Mobile

kamicase_bb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i´m from brazil.
I bought 2 new ipad.
One with 16gb +4g Att and 64Gb +4G.
I have the same problem because my new ipad cannot activate cellular data.
My issue is more complicated because i cant do anything with applebrasil.
I need to wait when new ipad arrived in my country to activate apple

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
acbc2k said:
Hello from Malaysia. Bought new iPad from Singapore early this month while on business trip. Current telco is Maxis 3G and having same 3G issues. Serial number also starts with DLXH. After leaving the house (which is on WiFi), 3G will connect but connection is painfully slow. Once I leave for work, 3G icon disappear and remain that way until I force reboot it (press Home + Sleep buttons). Had to do it 2-3 times to get the connection back. Once back, it is slow.

For the time being, I have disabled Cellular Data and used my old Huawei 3G MiFi (which has 5 hours battery life) to gain 3G connectivity. My old iPad1 3G don't have this issue.

I take it from this thread, that this only affects 3G models not Wi-Fi only models with the DLXH serial number.
The reason I'm asking is because I have a 16 gig Wi-Fi only model with the DLXH serial number and have not experienced any issues, this iPad has been flawless.

rano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for any device help wma files works on my ipad2 please if any1 could help ..
Urgent

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also wishes Apple really working on something to solve our problem.
Until then we'll have to kept all the frustratings all onto ourself.

Lastly, in Singapore consumer does not possess any right to return an unsratched defective product for a full refund. Unless the particular product are still in the sealed box or has not deliver to you, and only applicable if you purchase the products with Giant store. Only if we willing to take more hassles and own precious times to file in a complaint to our CASE (Consumers Association of Singapore). With some process payment make, they'll try to write to Apple. If you're not willing to make any payment to them, they will just jot down your case for record purpose only. There's alternate way, lodge in your complaint to Small Claims Tribunals. Again this also require a small lodgement fee. :(

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of my thoughts,

Since when, the consumer world has became so pathetic?

Since when, the consumers are at the mercy of a brand? In this case Apple.

Since when, buying a new product should keep our fingers cross?

Since when, buying a new product are like putting your fate on a Russian roulette chance?

Since when, a consumer have to blame him/herself if you've just newly purchased a "DOA" tablet?

Since when, it was the consumer fault not accepting a defective product?

Since when, a consumer are supposed to be happy with a newly purchased but defective product?

Since when, a consumer are suppose to sell off the newly purchased defect product at his very own cost and losses?

Btw, there aleady tonnes of victims in this new iPad constantly no 3G connection issues. There's also many of them don't bother to join a forum or make a posting as they know absolutely no one in the forum can help them except Apple.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has released IOS version 5.1.1 which supposedly fixed the 3G connection issues. If you are suffering with this problem (and are not interested in jailbreaking) you should update immediately.

Hopefully NewForce can finally get back to enjoying a normal stress free life ;)

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much f4780y.
Yes just saw that news today, but I have yet to update the 5.1.1 as 3G download was not available. Will have to wait to knock off from work and update it via home WiFi. Hopefully I'm all happy an iPad user again, just like the great time I had using iPad2. :)

Everyone know, beside the thread here and those in Apple Support Communities forum, there's many other languages forum the same problem claiming, including those hundreds of victim in German forum. If they notify users through email much earlier and telling all of us to be patient for the update, then the world would be much peaceful.

But seem like Apple preferred it own way and does like to fix many bugs at 1 go. I know it's better than nothing, but with Apple size, it can do a lot better, and definitely need to improve a lot on their PR communication with users. So it will be a Win-Win solution on both sides. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had to connect my iPad to a pc to get the update as it had to come from iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts