What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a simple and safe way to go from 4.2.1 JB to 5.01 untethered JB on my iPad1?

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to use icloud so I could sync my ipad1 safari bookmarks with my iPad3?
Can someone explain how I would do this. Tnx

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you've got the iPad1 already jail broken - is there a chance you have the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs for it? Because, if the answer is yes, then you should be able to create and then install a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with redsn0w and then jailbreak it.

So, first things first - do you have the SHSH blobs?

Marilyn

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm right (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) there is no current way to upgrade to 5.0.1 because apple quit signing SHSH blobs. If you have blobs saved then yes, you can do what marylin described. But if not no blobs=no update.

Last edited:
OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would I have gotten the blobs? Where would they be? When I start Cydia it shows along the top shsh and a long list of os including 5.0.1 does this mean I have them? How would I have obtained these blobs in the first place and where would they be kept?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you jail broke your iPad, it became an automatic process for Cydia to save your 5.01. SHSH blobs for you. So, this is good news ... that you have them.

So, follow the steps in this sticky (written by our main Hacking guru, f4780y): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=69285

If you follow each step and do the process exactly as written, you should end up with a jail broken iPad on iOS 5.0.1. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,
I will try this. I decided to DL all the files first and I had a strange issue that I am not sure about. When I downloaded the Ipad 5.0.1 file the file was 847K and I decided to dl another copy to another location as a backup and the second dl file size is 733K. Now all the dl 5.0.1 files are 733K but the first is 847K. Any idea which should be used?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you get them both from here? Are you sure you got exactly the same file?

I ask because, honestly? I have no clue why they'd be a different size. But, I'd stick with the one you got from here...

Marilyn

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Since you've got the iPad1 already jail broken - is there a chance you have the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs for it? Because, if the answer is yes, then you should be able to create and then install a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with redsn0w and then jailbreak it.

So, first things first - do you have the SHSH blobs?

Marilyn

but aint it just to download the 5.0.1 from a site, shift click on restore for the ipad, select the 5.0.1 update from where you downloaded it to and then update it to 5.0.1? cause i used that way to downgrade from 4.2 to 4.0 on my ipod touch 2g. Maby the same way will work for ipad and upgrade?

Sent from my iPad 2 wifi 32gb (jailbreaked) using iPF

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but aint it just to download the 5.0.1 from a site, shift click on restore for the ipad, select the 5.0.1 update from where you downloaded it to and then update it to 5.0.1? cause i used that way to downgrade from 4.2 to 4.0 on my ipod touch 2g. Maby the same way will work for ipad and upgrade?

Will this work? If not why not please?

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pego99 said:
Will this work? If not why not please?

Well, it's worth a shot. just search for "ios 5.0.1 ipad 2 download" on google and download the update.

Then shift click on the restore button when you have the ipad connected, choose 5.0.1 and it may work. But cannot promise anything since i bought my ipad 2 with 5.0.1 preinstalled :/

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
NO!

This method will not work! Apple has closed the signing window for iOS 5.0.1, so it is no longer a simple matter of downloading and installing that iOS. The only iOS that can be installed by "just downloading" it is iOS 5.1.

The only way, now, to put iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad1 is if you have SHSH blobs. And, you MUST create a custom IPSW using those blobs and the stock iOS 5.0.1 IPSW.

The instructional sticky I linked to a few posts up is the way to go. There is no other way to put firmware version 5.0.1 on an iPad1 so that you can jail break it with that iOS.

Marilyn

Most reactions