What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try this again then. They have to make these for the majority, they sell to the entire world (give or take), it's a mobile device and wifi isn't readily available in all areas but mobile connections are more readily available. So, they will stick with lower resolution front camera until such time as wifi is available readily everywhere.

The Archangel

They sell alot of wifi only models to the majority, quick search, www.wired.com/.../apple-ipad-reaches-one-million-sold-twice-as-fast-as- ... May 3, 2010 – In addition, Apple said it shipped 500000 units of the Wi-Fi-only iPad within the first week, so sales have slowed since then, relatively speaking, ...

We will agree to disagree.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
They sell alot of wifi only models to the majority, quick search, www.wired.com/.../apple-ipad-reaches-one-million-sold-twice-as-fast-as- ... May 3, 2010 – In addition, Apple said it shipped 500000 units of the Wi-Fi-only iPad within the first week, so sales have slowed since then, relatively speaking, ...

We will agree to disagree.

I don't understand what your point is, just because people buy wifi only models does not mean that they don't use mobile connections, tethered to a phone or through a myfi unit, etc.

But as you say......let's agree to disagree.

The Archangel

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try this again then. They have to make these for the majority, they sell to the entire world (give or take), it's a mobile device and wifi isn't readily available in all areas but mobile connections are more readily available. So, they will stick with lower resolution front camera until such time as wifi is available readily everywhere.

The Archangel

You got me thinking, according to Apple they want you to stream content, browse the net, and download movies. As you know, this takes up alot of data. According to Apple, The new iPad supports fast cellular networks the world over — including 4G LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada.2 So you can browse the web, stream content, or download a movie at blazing-fast speeds. It also works on GSM/UMTS worldwide network technologies including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA — the fastest 3G networks out there. You’ll see downlink speeds up to 42 Mbps with DC-HSDPA and up to 21.1 Mbps with HSPA+

As you stated, somewhere in this whole thread that you care about your data plan , well Apple doesn't, they want you to use data at lightning speeds. That is their target, so installing a hd camera for facetime seems natural and should be their next upgrade, I was a bit disappointed when they didn't do it now for their wifi owners who dont tether or their LTE customers who don't care about consuming data.

I know you don't agree, but I liked our discussion.

Last edited:

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Chriztofor

From what I understand, your saying apple should make a hd camera for the wifi only model but not the 3G/4G?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
You got me thinking, according to Apple they want you to stream content, browse the net, and download movies. As you know, this takes up alot of data. According to Apple, The new iPad supports fast cellular networks the world over — including 4G LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada.2 So you can browse the web, stream content, or download a movie at blazing-fast speeds. It also works on GSM/UMTS worldwide network technologies including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA — the fastest 3G networks out there. You’ll see downlink speeds up to 42 Mbps with DC-HSDPA and up to 21.1 Mbps with HSPA+

As you stated, somewhere in this whole thread that you care about your data plan , well Apple doesn't, they want you to use data at lightning speeds. That is their target, so installing a hd camera for facetime seems natural and should be their next upgrade I was a bit disappointed when they didn't do it now for their wifi owners who dont tether or their LTE customers who don't care about consuming data.

I know you don't agree, but I liked our discussion.

Yes but......when you stream content you do so at a time and place of your choosing and only affecting your data allowance........when you communicate with someone over FaceTime, Skype, etc you are involving someone else and affecting their connection and possible allowances as well.

So, you are on your HD webcam and you decide to Skype with your old schoolchum Billy No-Mates, he is on a slow connection, all he is going to see is you stuttering all over his screen.....but hey, you hear that he has upgraded so you Skype with Billy again, this time he is still mobile and is truely amazed at the clarity of the connection, but then the screen goes black....because his data allowance just ran out!

The Archangel

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Chriztofor

From what I understand, your saying apple should make a hd camera for the wifi only model but not the 3G/4G?

No, they should make it for all models. Archangel was saying at one point that he cares and supposedly the majority care about consuming data, but that is not what apple is marketing. They have a wifi model and a 4g model, all of which can handle hd facetime. Consuming data is not in Apple's equation otherwise they would just create wifi only models.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but......when you stream content you do so at a time and place of your choosing and only affecting your data allowance........when you communicate with someone over FaceTime, Skype, etc you are involving someone else and affecting their connection and possible allowances as well.

So, you are on your HD webcam and you decide to Skype with your old schoolchum Billy No-Mates, he is on a slow connection, all he is going to see is you stuttering all over his screen.....but hey, you hear that he has upgraded so you Skype with Billy again, this time he is still mobile and is truely amazed at the clarity of the connection, but then the screen goes black....because his data allowance just ran out!

The Archangel

That's true, but that shouldn't stop Apple from improving the front camera. They have never stated a concern about data, to the contrary they are going faster with each model.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
That's true, but that shouldn't stop Apple from improving the front camera. They have never stated a concern about data, to the contrary they are going faster with each model.

But that is kind of proving the point, everything else gets faster because you, and only you, are affected by the consumption. The webcam/front facing camera brings the allowances and data packages of others into that equation so it is an element of protection.........now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest that is the sole reason (or any part of the reason) as to why they install a VGA camera but in hindsight it's a pretty good reason.

Remember also that the user experience when connected defaults to the lowest common denominator........not the highest.

The Archangel

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that is kind of proving the point, everything else gets faster because you, and only you, are affected by the consumption. The webcam/front facing camera brings the allowances and data packages of others into that equation so it is an element of protection.........now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest that is the sole reason (or any part of the reason) as to why they install a VGA camera but in hindsight it's a pretty good reason.

Remember also that the user experience when connected defaults to the lowest common denominator........not the highest.

The Archangel

I agree with you, the only thing I would add is that Apple is now marketing "resolutionary" and you just can't achieve that with a vga camera.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
I agree with you, the only thing I would add is that Apple is now marketing "resolutionary" and you just can't achieve that with a vga camera.

But you can with HD films and games etc. Remember that the iPad is designed as a non tinkerers tool (although thanks to our friends in the Hacking section, even they can have a play). Check out the thread for the iPad users average age, the appeal is to generations that maybe don't have computer knowledge as well as the rest of us, Apple will be aware of the demographics only too well. For Granny Archangel she doesn't want to FaceTime with her grand kids only for the connection to die because she has no data allowance left or to get a bill for a gazillion dollars at the end of the month......it's all about where the averages sit and the average age of users by our admittedly non-scientific thread suggests it sits with a user who may not be as computer literate as the younger generation......so VGA wins.

Apple are not stupid, they make products which sell massively, they may not know what you, personally, want but they do know what the mass market wants and the proof is in the sales figures, they don't lie.

The Archangel

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FaceTime is not even operational when on 4G. Only when utilizing wifi. And wifi hot spots are not created equal. I travel a lot to say the least and many wifi connections, though strong, are throttled back significantly when you attempt to stream video.

So for discussion purposes, VGA camera use and 4G data plans doesn't apply. However, I agree that the VGA camera remains given that it will tend to perform the best under typical real world mobile/wifi conditions.

The other side of the story is obviously marketing, pricing considerations and of course why give everything to the iPad addicts at once. Save some for the next fix. :)

It's all good.

Cheers

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
FaceTime is not even operational when on 4G. Only when utilizing wifi. And wifi hot spots are not created equal. I travel a lot to say the least and many wifi connections, though strong, are throttled back significantly when you attempt to stream video.

So for discussion purposes, VGA camera use and 4G data plans doesn't apply. However, I agree that the VGA camera remains given that it will tend to perform the best under typical real world mobile/wifi conditions.

The other side of the story is obviously marketing, pricing considerations and of course why give everything to the iPad addicts at once. Save some for the next fix. :)

It's all good.

Cheers

FaceTime may not be but Skype will work even on a 3G network, so it is valid IMHO but I do agree in general with your sentiments.

The Archangel

MattG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded from a iPad2 and didn't have any real expectations other than getting a much better screen and switching from a 16gb to a 32gb. After using the new one for a day I am very happy with my upgrade. If you can't notice the difference in the screens between a 2 and a 3, you need to get your eyes checked immediately. Like was mention, its like going from a standard definition TV to a 1080p TV. I remember the screen difference from a iPhone3 to a iPhone4 and this is equallty impressive.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
FaceTime may not be but Skype will work even on a 3G network, so it is valid IMHO but I do agree in general with your sentiments.

The Archangel

Good point, I had FaceTime only on my mind. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts