What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I myself haven't seen it in person yet, but for someone who watches several videos of people showing it off, it's so hard to believe how godly the screen is because even with the best camera showing off that screen it looks like my iPad one. So I'm safe to state that iPad 3 users who watch the video, how much of a difference is there really from all those review videos?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a reviewer mentioned that it is like putting on a pair of glasses for the first time when you found out you need them. You just did not know how much better things looked with 20/20 vision. Yes, I had that experience at 18 years of age of getting my first pair of glasses - this was a similar experience.

steelerdan69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man I can't really see that much difference ! I was. Expecting a nite and day difference.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this screen rocks. The iPad 2 was no slouch, but the 3 has certainly raised the bar. Anyone that says they can't see the differences is either lying, or blind. :D

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went into best buy to p/u my new iPad. Ask them if they had demos out. They pointed to the demo table and said two are new and the other two are the iPad 2. I could not tell which was which maybe my eyes are bad? So I didn't buy the new one, yet.

"Post are better with pictures ".

i went to kylocal apple store and took along my ipad 2 for comparison, i didn't notice much difference between the two nor did the guy standing next to me (we both compared my ipad2 with the same display model),i'm 95% certain i will wait for the ipad4

Ditto. It was not very apparent to me either. I vote for staying with the thinner, lighter iPad 2 for me, though I may upgrade from a 16 to a 32.

Man I can't really see that much difference ! I was. Expecting a nite and day difference.

+5 Very little difference. I have the ipad 2 and iphone 4s so i am not an apple hater. I wish the reviews from all over the internet were more honest. I walked into the apple store today to see what this extreme, magical, ultra clear, vibrant, incredible, fabulous, must have, retina display difference was all about. Well, i asked the apple store employee to show me the new ipad and the ipad 2 side by side. She takes me to a table and shows me them and goes, do you see the difference? I tell her that they look exactly the same. She stares at them and realizes that they are both the new ipad, then she takes me to another table, points to them and walks away to help another customer. I really couldn't see that big a difference. Actually, there was very little difference looking at the internet, text, and even icons. If you stare hard enough you can see some pixels, but nothing breathtaking. I love the reviews that show the icons that are zoomed in, no one zooms in to look at icons! Anyway, the guy next to me shrugged his shoulders and he couldn't tell the difference either. I think this ipad was hyped-up too much, i think i was expecting 3d or something, oh well. Also, i hate that the reviews downplay the cons, such as the front camera being the same, the cpu is the same, and the ipad 2 is lighter and thinner. By the way, the weight may matter if you hold it for an hour. When the "new new" ipad comes out next march and if it has a better front camera for facetime and faster cpu (i know the gpu is 4x faster) then i may upgrade for the hell of it, otherwise I will wait. If you don't own an ipad then might as well get the new ipad.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
+5 Very little difference. I have the ipad 2 and iphone 4s so i am not an apple hater. I wish the reviews from all over the internet were more honest. I walked into the apple store today to see what this extreme, magical, ultra clear, vibrant, incredible, fabulous, must have, retina display difference was all about. Well, i asked the apple store employee to show me the new ipad and the ipad 2 side by side. She takes me to a table and shows me them and goes, do you see the difference? I tell her that they look exactly the same. She stares at them and realizes that they are both the new ipad, then she takes me to another table, points to them and walks away to help another customer. I really couldn't see that big a difference. Actually, there was very little difference looking at the internet, text, and even icons. If you stare hard enough you can see some pixels, but nothing breathtaking. I love the reviews that show the icons that are zoomed in, no one zooms in to look at icons! Anyway, the guy next to me shrugged his shoulders and he couldn't tell the difference either. I think this ipad was hyped-up too much, i think i was expecting 3d or something, oh well. Also, i hate that the reviews downplay the cons, such as the front camera being the same, the cpu is the same, and the ipad 2 is lighter and thinner. By the way, the weight may matter if you hold it for an hour. When the "new new" ipad comes out next march and if it has a better front camera for facetime and faster cpu (i know the gpu is 4x faster) then i may upgrade for the hell of it, otherwise I will wait. If you don't own an ipad then might as well get the new ipad.

I can't comment on the screen but as for the VGA camera, it is still VGA for a reason, when you are using FaceTime, Skype, etc the quality in tems of smoothness of the experience is dictated not by your CPU or your GPU but generally by the connection speed at both ends of the communication. If you try using it over a slow connection, one of you will suffer stuttering etc. until such time as everyone in the world has access to fast Internet connections then VGA is the only way forward with the front facing cameras.

The Archangel

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPad 2, fine text in portrait mode is slightly blurred. For example, go to the website 'popurls' in portrait mode, read the links(without zooming). The links with the iPad 3 are pixel perfect. The text is however very small, so now it is my eyes that are the limiting factor.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I can't comment on the screen but as for the VGA camera, it is still VGA for a reason, when you are using FaceTime, Skype, etc the quality in tems of smoothness of the experience is dictated not by your CPU or your GPU but generally by the connection speed at both ends of the communication. If you try using it over a slow connection, one of you will suffer stuttering etc. until such time as everyone in the world has access to fast Internet connections then VGA is the only way forward with the front facing cameras.

The Archangel

I like

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

That makes sense,but then HD webcams would not exist. Also, services like OovoO allow you to transmit in lower grade quality if either you or the person you are talking with don't have a fast connection. I rather use my ipad when facetiming, but the quality of my hd webcam on my laptop destroys my ipad 2 camera which is the same as the new Ipad. The person on the other side immidiately notices a difference when i switch from my ipd 2 to my laptop's hd webcam. Want to wager that the front camera gets upgraded the next time around? ;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
That makes sense,but then HD webcams would not exist. Also, services like OovoO allow you to transmit in lower grade quality if either you or the person you are talking with don't have a fast connection. I rather use my ipad when facetiming, but the quality of my hd webcam on my laptop destroys my ipad 2 camera which is the same as the new Ipad. The person on the other side immiditely notices a difference when i switch from my ipd 2 to my laptop hd webcam. Want to wager that the front camera gets upgraded the next time around? ;)

No, HD webcams exist for those who communicate regularly over fast connections. Remember that the iPad is a mobile device......imagine how fast your data allowance would be eaten if you were travelling and didn't switch to a lower grade connection from HD......remember that film "Gone In 60 Seconds".....they wouldn't use a Shelby Mustang in the remake, they would use an iPad with an HD webcam and a 3G or 4G connection.

I doubt that the VGA camera will change anytime soon.

The Archangel

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, HD webcams exist for those who communicate regularly over fast connections. Remember that the iPad is a mobile device......imagine how fast your data allowance would be eaten if you were travelling and didn't switch to a lower grade connection from HD......remember that film "Gone In 60 Seconds".....they wouldn't use a Shelby Mustang in the remake, they would use an iPad with an HD webcam and a 3G or 4G connection.

I doubt that the VGA camera will change anytime soon.

The Archangel

I agree with you for the people who have data plans, but for all the wifi only owners out there, which are ALOT, we don't care about data and want a HD facetime experience.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
I agree with you for the people who have data plans, but for all the wifi only owners out there, which are ALOT, we don't care about data and want a HD facetime experience.

I'm wifi only, I connect when mobile through a myfi hotspot, so I care.

If they only made the iPad for you imagine how good the specs would be?

The Archangel

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wifi only, I connect when mobile through a myfi hotspot, so I care.

If they only made the iPad for you imagine how good the specs would be?

The Archangel

Not just for me, for all wifi owners without data plans.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
Not just for me, for all wifi owners without data plans.

I'll try this again then. They have to make these for the majority, they sell to the entire world (give or take), it's a mobile device and wifi isn't readily available in all areas but mobile connections are more readily available. So, they will stick with lower resolution front camera until such time as wifi is available readily everywhere.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts